• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big bunnies, little bunnies, medium sized bunnies

Yes, I know what you mean, and I was aware of that when I was writing - but for me it is easier to deal with the health issues they come with than the ones dwarfs come with - I understand skeletal type stuff, and heart stuff, and there is a lot that can be done to offset it, whereas if there isn't enough space in the mouth then there isn't enough space in the mouth, that's it.

As I learn more about giants, I do wonder how much of their health issues can be avoided or certainly reduced if only people focussed on health and not size. It really upsets me when so many conversations on the giant groups are "how big is your rabbit" followed by post after post of 10kg rabbits that are clearly grossly obese and very unfit, not to mention how much of their housing is seriously small and understimulating. People keeping them on concrete and wondering why they have sore hocks. And people who are too scared to work with them to handle them, so they just don't, which means they don't pick up on health issues early enough. If more giants were owned by genuine rabbit people rather than people who just want a big-eared dog that doesn't need walking, then I seriously think their health record would improve.
But yes, I never set out to get giants, and I'm not sure I agree with them, but now I know them I can't imagine having anything else. I'm not sure what I will do when we lose these guys, but hopefully the life I give them will give them the best chance of that being some time far in the future.
That's horrible! :( It's like they think it's a competition of who has the biggest rabbit.

As I learn more about giants, I do wonder how much of their health issues can be avoided or certainly reduced if only people focussed on health and not size. It really upsets me when so many conversations on the giant groups are "how big is your rabbit" followed by post after post of 10kg rabbits that are clearly grossly obese and very unfit, not to mention how much of their housing is seriously small and understimulating. People keeping them on concrete and wondering why they have sore hocks. And people who are too scared to work with them to handle them, so they just don't, which means they don't pick up on health issues early enough. If more giants were owned by genuine rabbit people rather than people who just want a big-eared dog that doesn't need walking, then I seriously think their health record would improve.
Reminds me of Labradors, I saw my first proper-weight Lab at gliding last year and she was so skinny, but not 'underweight' skinny for a dog, you could see that by how thing showed, but compared to 'normal' Labs. You could JUST see some of her bones when she sat or moved a certain way (so a slight lumpiness where the vertebrae were, some ribs when she stretched up etc.), she had definition where her ribs ended and abdomen started, and she was really active (also TERRIBLY well behaved, perfect recall, told her owner when she needed to go toilet :love:). But most Labs are just black/brown/yellow sausages :S

I have had 1.5 kgs to 4 kg. Majority of rabbits I have let the rescue pick for us (7). Since Bing was indoors I did pick Bella because she is about his size. I thought a big bunny may chew the remaining skirtings and wardrobe doors but Bella the Nethie is destucto bun.:lol:. Small equals big attitude.:lol:

Back