Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Big bunnies, little bunnies, medium sized bunnies

  1. #11
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    18,600

    Default

    I forgot I posted this last night

    I think what I like about bigger bunnies is theres more bunny to the bunny
    When I adopted Rudey I thought he'd be a bigger medium as I was told he was 3k. He wasn't, he was 2.6 but looked & felt 2. I was a bit disappointed by how small he was
    Otherwise perfect of course

    www.TrawdenSoapKitchen.Etsy.com including Boobly Bears dried forage & herb mix

  2. #12
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    633

    Default

    We've only ever had the giants, but I think I would struggle with smaller now - even they seem small at times, but they just seem to be a good "rabbit" kind of size somehow! But I do have lean, fit giants, I really don't like seeing so many huge fat ones, mine will never weigh as much as most giants seem to as my focus is on them being healthy and fit rather than just BIG.

    Normal rabbits are very cute but seem so small! And I don't think I'd ever go for dwarf/lop type by choice due to the health considerations.

  3. #13
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    18,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
    We've only ever had the giants, but I think I would struggle with smaller now - even they seem small at times, but they just seem to be a good "rabbit" kind of size somehow! But I do have lean, fit giants, I really don't like seeing so many huge fat ones, mine will never weigh as much as most giants seem to as my focus is on them being healthy and fit rather than just BIG.

    Normal rabbits are very cute but seem so small! And I don't think I'd ever go for dwarf/lop type by choice due to the health considerations.
    See I am more scared by giant breeds in terms of health considerations than any other. In some ways this will be personal as I've had some experience of sore hocks & arthritis, both I find harder to deal with than many other bunny health complaints. To a large extent both of these health risks of giants must be reduced by correct handling throughout their lives & keeping trim I'd have thought.

    www.TrawdenSoapKitchen.Etsy.com including Boobly Bears dried forage & herb mix

  4. #14
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    See I am more scared by giant breeds in terms of health considerations than any other. In some ways this will be personal as I've had some experience of sore hocks & arthritis, both I find harder to deal with than many other bunny health complaints. To a large extent both of these health risks of giants must be reduced by correct handling throughout their lives & keeping trim I'd have thought.
    I thought giant breeds are known to have a lot of health issues. Not done loads of research, just what I've heard etc plus things my vet has said

    Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    18,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I thought giant breeds are known to have a lot of health issues. Not done loads of research, just what I've heard etc plus things my vet has said

    Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk
    oh yes, defo, that & their shorter lifespan puts me off. But I was wondering how much of these risks relate to poor handling & being inactive & overweight

    www.TrawdenSoapKitchen.Etsy.com including Boobly Bears dried forage & herb mix

  6. #16

    Default

    We've only had one giant our English Lop Flopsy and he was a gentle giant although sadly he didn't survive until adulthood so I'm not sure how big he would have been.

    He was amazing and I would happily have another giant however I must admit their lower lifespan does weigh on my mind, but then so far we've lost buns before that at each point.

    To be honest I'm not sure I have a preference other than cheeky mischief maker, health wise I know which are preferable but I'm not logical enough to make choices like that when picking out a bun. I tend to go with gut instinct and that awwww feeling.

    For instance Rodney was chosen because he nibbled hubby when we met him at the RSPCA and I knew he was coming back with us



    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

  7. #17
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    oh yes, defo, that & their shorter lifespan puts me off. But I was wondering how much of these risks relate to poor handling & being inactive & overweight
    Hard to know, Penelope is 5kg, and obviously did her leg in binkying and she's not overweight. Even though my vet hadnt seen one before in rabbits himself he said its always the very large/ giant ones from what he's heard. I think FHBs husband wrote the chapter on it which he was reading after he figured out what was wrong with her leg. Must be the same with dogs, I had a German shepherd, so hip dysplasia was what everyone worried about, but it's all large breeds which are prone to it, breeding is a factor but also just size I think. Interestingly what Clementine had with her knees is very common in cats and westhighland terriers apparently

    Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

  8. #18
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarelessSquid07 View Post
    We've only had one giant our English Lop Flopsy and he was a gentle giant although sadly he didn't survive until adulthood so I'm not sure how big he would have been.

    He was amazing and I would happily have another giant however I must admit their lower lifespan does weigh on my mind, but then so far we've lost buns before that at each point.

    To be honest I'm not sure I have a preference other than cheeky mischief maker, health wise I know which are preferable but I'm not logical enough to make choices like that when picking out a bun. I tend to go with gut instinct and that awwww feeling.

    For instance Rodney was chosen because he nibbled hubby when we met him at the RSPCA and I knew he was coming back with us



    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    That's so sweet about Rodney, that's like my last dog, she stole my flip flop and ran off with it.. I was only 12 and I remember because it really annoyed they were my favourite pair and this huge puppy who kept biting me had stolen it and ran off with it and was chewing it to pieces I remember feeling so unsure when we left with her (still chewing my bloody flip flip ) adult me would be like yep I'll take that one tho now.

    When I got Clementine and Atticus their dad was this huge show rex from Belgium or something idek.. That place was such a disaster.. But the guy was all like proud of the dad and all the stuff he'd won or whatever and brought him out.. Anyway he sprayed my mum.. Like absolutely covered her, face, neck, tee shirt, bag... I had to drive her car home she was too traumatised to drive and got straight in the shower when we got back was really funny though animals are the best

    Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

  9. #19
    Wise Old Thumper tulsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    17,206

    Default

    I like slightly fluffy lionhead tyes, esp white ones!

    I also like wildies, rex, dutch and belgian hares.

    I am in love with all mine. I do find that I like smaller ones but agree that they are very wriggly. Loganberry and Moondust are real wrigglers.





    Snowflake is a lionhead x and Dusty is a nethie x. I think she is part rex due to her soft coat and voracious appitite!



    Frosty and his blue eyed white doe, Daisy are both lionhead x and middle sized, like Snowflake (Frosty's brother).


  10. #20
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    See I am more scared by giant breeds in terms of health considerations than any other. In some ways this will be personal as I've had some experience of sore hocks & arthritis, both I find harder to deal with than many other bunny health complaints. To a large extent both of these health risks of giants must be reduced by correct handling throughout their lives & keeping trim I'd have thought.
    Yes, I know what you mean, and I was aware of that when I was writing - but for me it is easier to deal with the health issues they come with than the ones dwarfs come with - I understand skeletal type stuff, and heart stuff, and there is a lot that can be done to offset it, whereas if there isn't enough space in the mouth then there isn't enough space in the mouth, that's it.

    As I learn more about giants, I do wonder how much of their health issues can be avoided or certainly reduced if only people focussed on health and not size. It really upsets me when so many conversations on the giant groups are "how big is your rabbit" followed by post after post of 10kg rabbits that are clearly grossly obese and very unfit, not to mention how much of their housing is seriously small and understimulating. People keeping them on concrete and wondering why they have sore hocks. And people who are too scared to work with them to handle them, so they just don't, which means they don't pick up on health issues early enough. If more giants were owned by genuine rabbit people rather than people who just want a big-eared dog that doesn't need walking, then I seriously think their health record would improve.
    But yes, I never set out to get giants, and I'm not sure I agree with them, but now I know them I can't imagine having anything else. I'm not sure what I will do when we lose these guys, but hopefully the life I give them will give them the best chance of that being some time far in the future.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •