• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allen and Page rabbit pellets

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

I am thinking of switiching my buns onto Allen and Page cos my youngest bun keeps getting sticky poos on Excel and she will soon have so little food that I'll nearly be starving her!! It just doesn't seem to agree with her belly. Also my oldest won't eat the Excel! I have seen lots of ppl on here use Allen and Page and just wanted a bit more info about it.

Just few questions:
How have buns done on it?
What does it look like (similar to Excel?)
Any samples available from anywhere?
Does it come in smaller than 20kg bags?

And any other relevant info ppl can think of!

Thanks for your help.

Nicola

I switched from Excel through Science Selective to Allen and Page and found that when I was mixing the pellets, the A & P were the last ones to get eaten. They are much cheaper but mine went past the use by date before they got anywhere near through 20kg (even with giving some away). I think ordering them mail order is going to cost a lot in p & p.

You could try asking in your local petshop as they may do smaller bags.
Science Selective will send u a sample if u go to their website, not sure about A&P but i know a few breeders who use it so maybe i will ask them for u.

hi, i have allen and page i think its g8 stuff had no probs with them they are longer, thiner and lighter colour than the excel
at the bradford show they have a stand there and give out samples and stuff
becky

Thank you very much for all your info. I have found a stockist who will deliver it to me for free as I am within the catchment area for them. I will email them and ask about the smaller bags. Will also email Allen and Page see if they do samples as I don't want to get a massive bag just to get a 'no good mum' response!lol

Luvabun - are yours on Allen and Page now? Or did you stay on one of the others when you saw they were the last to be eaten?

Any other reccomendations for good food apart from Excel and SS as I'm not totally set on Allen and Page, just heard some good things about the food.

Thanks for your help :)

Nicola

I would like to say thank you for all the information on this subject I am also looking at moving over to their pellets or something along these lines so any other recomendations would be welcome.

Remember that hay is food as well and much better than pelleted food. Bear, Mojo, Grace and Snowball get hardly any pelleted food and they munch on hay all day, they are all fit and healthy :D

I don't feed much and they only get it every other day any way. As on the other day they get a bowl of readi grass.
With hay fruit/veg served everyday.

Yep hay is munched all day long in this household too! They don't get much pelleted food but as my little one seems to have soft poos however little she gets I thought I would switch to something which agrees with her a bit better! Also would like to get my older bun onto a pelleted food as she won't touch the Excel. Not sure about my luck on that one as she has been on a mix for 5 years!

It's so much better to use food other ppl recommend, instead of desparately going through them trying to find a good one!

Nicola

Hi Nicola & all,

Just to say this is the only stuff i feed my rabbits on. I fed it when i bred & showed them & I still feed it now to my pets. They do VERY well on it & cuts out a lot of the sticky poos & gut problems that we so often see in rabbits.

The pellets are smaller than excel (it looks a bit like chinchilla pellets) but works in the same way & costs far less.

The pellets also contain Protexin which is an expensive form of Probiotic, but in fact a whole sack of feed costs me about a fiver... a lot less than excel.

I mix mine daily with Graze-on (dried grass for horses) for extra roughage & they love it.

Nicola, I get my supplies from the Horse House, Northwood, Middx, but i have to advance order the pellet as they don't carry it in stock unless someone requests it.

Thanks Cheryl, that's the probiotic I normally get from the vets when my buns are on Baytril, costs a fortune!lol

Northwood isn't too far from work really and if I got a big sack it would last me a while. Do you know if they do smaller than 20kg or is that the only size?

I emailed the General Pet Store in Aylesbury too and they can order it in for me. I might try some horse feed suppliers tho cos if they order Allen and Page horse pellets they may be able to order me in the rabbit pellets!

I was amazed when I saw how cheap it is, any reason for this? Excel is soooo expensive! Be brill if my buns ate this - much better for them and my bank balance :)

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

No, its all in bulk sizes (15 or 20 kg i think), but you'd be saving so much more by doing this & will save you an extra journey.

Not sure why it is so cheap, I think it is zero VAT which is rather like the working dog feeds (they also do those) which were probably originally intended more designed for commercial use?

All i do know is anything geared up for the pet market will make you pay through the nose especially if it is a brand name like excel.

I used to breed & show French Lops & being a large breed it was vital that they got the correct level of Calcium for the growth & maintence of their big bones! I could not be doing with the risk of using a mix that they would selectively feed on & end up leaving the bits that were actually good for them. Also the gut of a french lop is very sensitive which is another reason i used it.

I used to use a mix but found mine thrived better on the A & P pellet. A&P pellets are of consistent quality too so you don't get dusty sacks or end up with clumps of molassed food, etc like some of the other food.

i've recently switched to a & p natural pellets from rabbit royale. I was having alot of babies with sticky bums so decided to switch to pellets. I did some research and found the a& p natural pellets are 23% fibre, much more than mixes and other pellets so went for these. A 20kg sack costs me £5.30 the RR was £7.95 so a big saving with the amount i get through as well. All rabbits are doing well on it and no more sticky bums either. And when i started the gradual change over none of them left the pellets which was a pleasant surprise, in fact they all go mad for it, the only one that is awkward is my german lop as he insists on an apple 1st but then again he won't eat anything unless the first course is an apple lol.

Yvonne

nicolar said:
I might try some horse feed suppliers tho cos if they order Allen and Page horse pellets they may be able to order me in the rabbit pellets!

I was amazed when I saw how cheap it is, any reason for this? Excel is soooo expensive! Be brill if my buns ate this - much better for them and my bank balance :)

Nicola

Nicola, they are rabbit pellets, although they do other types of food though.

Yeah & as the breeders were saying on another forum, Chudleys Rabbit royal is so inconsistent in quality & too rich. Mine got mucky bums when i fed that.

nicolar said:
Luvabun - are yours on Allen and Page now? Or did you stay on one of the others when you saw they were the last to be eaten?

Nicola

Morning Nicola - I'm now mixing the remaining A & P with SS as its a waste of time and effort getting the 20 kg. sack. So at the mo, they're selecting the SS and leaving the A & P until last. So in the Totti and Brody taste test, the A & P failed.

I used to feed my lot Burgess but I switiched to Allen and Page Natural Rabbit Pellets a few months ago, as I wasn't happy with the fibre content in the Burgess.

It’s the best thing I ever did! None of my Rabbits have been ill or had problems with sticky bums (touch wood!) since I switched to A&P.

They all eat it. Though at first they did leave some as I think the Burgess tastes better. But if you persist they will eat it.

I get mine in a 20kg sack for £6.00 from my local Horse Feed merchant. To keep it fresh I put it in the airtight sandwich style boxes (BIG ONES!) so it doesn’t go "off".

I also like the fact is GM free and approved by the Vegetarian society.

Louise

luvabun said:
nicolar said:

Nicola

Morning Nicola - I'm now mixing the remaining A & P with SS as its a waste of time and effort getting the 20 kg. sack. So at the mo, they're selecting the SS and leaving the A & P until last. So in the Totti and Brody taste test, the A & P failed.

Yes, but were you offering the two types together or within short timescale of each other, Luvabun?

Sometimes they (like all animals) will hang on for something else if they think they'll get it...its a case of being cruel to be kind sometimes.

If i ever had a rabbit like that (which wasn't often - they must know what i'm like!) i never refilled the food bowl until it was empty. They soon caught on. :wink:

A bit like making sure the kids eat their greens!! :lol:

Apart from that no real worries.

Back