• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel awful

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I could honestly cry, I was sorting out Lilac and Rupert's hay this morning, they were a bit excited and Lilac got under my feet. I was just putting my foot down, I tried to move, but she moved exactly where I moved to, and I lost my balance and have squashed her. My weight went partly onto her back and then onto her left hind leg. It can't have been for more than a second or two as I moved as soon as I could but she now can't move her left hind leg properly. She ran off and is hiding under the sofa so I can't see her moving. I've tried to tempt her out with treats but she's not having it, although she will take them from me and stay under there. It doesn't help that she's very mistrustful of me at the moment anyway because I've been treating her sore hocks and she hates being picked up.

I've called the vet and she's going in later this morning, but I keep thinking the worst and that I'm to blame. The fact that she seems able to put some weight on it makes me think (more like hope) that nothing is broken but I'm so worried.

Can we have some vibes please xx

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It’s not your fault :wave: so many times I’ve nearly done the same. I hope she is ok, sending lots of vibes xx

It’s not your fault :wave: so many times I’ve nearly done the same. I hope she is ok, sending lots of vibes xx
Thank you, I'm hoping it's just the trauma that's making her hide for a bit, she just popped out and sat and looked at me disapprovingly for a few minutes. Then she periscoped!!! And ran away, she looked much better so I'm hoping I've overreacted. She's still going to the vet though, so she'll be even angrier with me.

Oh I'm sorry :( try not to blame yourself though it was an accident. I had something similar happen years ago, Clementine got under my feet and I kicked her in the side, and she screamed :( it was awful, my vet checked her all over and said she was probably just really startled and she was okay, but I felt horrendous :( these things can happen though unfortunately :( I hope everything is okay x

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Oh I'm sorry :( try not to blame yourself though it was an accident. I had something similar happen years ago, Clementine got under my feet and I kicked her in the side, and she screamed :( it was awful, my vet checked her all over and said she was probably just really startled and she was okay, but I felt horrendous :( these things can happen though unfortunately :( I hope everything is okay x

Thank you. I was literally just thinking this morning that she's coming up to her 7th birthday so I should start giving her joint support tablets etc and then I go and squash her! My mind automatically just went to worst case scenario.

I've had several near misses, usually with Rupert where I've kicked him a bit (that sounds awful!) but he never even seems to notice. Feel like I'd better start walking around like an astronaut in slow mo from now on!

Thank you. I was literally just thinking this morning that she's coming up to her 7th birthday so I should start giving her joint support tablets etc and then I go and squash her! My mind automatically just went to worst case scenario.

I've had several near misses, usually with Rupert where I've kicked him a bit (that sounds awful!) but he never even seems to notice. Feel like I'd better start walking around like an astronaut in slow mo from now on!

Clementine has had knee surgery and has joint issues, I felt so bad [emoji51] it's never happened since and she's been okay, she never normally gets under my feet and she's lives indoors but she was in a pen outside on the grass when it happened and just super happy to see me [emoji51] just made it even worse tbh [emoji38]

Honestly these things can happen, and if she seems okay, she probably is, I hope the vets can reassure you later x

Thanks all. If she gives me the usual runaround when it's time to go to the vet I'll be reassured as she's usually pretty good at avoiding being caught. Will update when she's been.

Sending loads of vibes for her. I hope that the vet check goes well. Also sending lots of hugs for you. This can really happen to anyone.

Sending vibes for Lilac and it wasn't your fault. I hope the vet is able to see her and give you an assessment.
Craig xx

Oh my goodness I know exactly how you feel. I've lost count of the number of times my two have gotten under my feet and I've accidentally kicked or trodden on them. I suspect they have a bit of a scam going on as I feel so terrible about it I end up giving them extra treats.

Hopefully Lilac is just a bit shaken up and that the vet will be able to reassure you that everything is ok.

Hope vet visit goes ok, I've had so many near misses with Treacle, she can move like lightening sometimes.

Urgh, I hope everything's OK: always brings back the memory of my Dad 'treading' on Charlie's head in the dark, getting into the run to do something necessary in the hutch at night, and him screaming. Nothing was damaged thankfully, we think it was more shock than any actual trauma, but it's horrible. Big hugs and I hope you have great difficulty getting her in the carrier!

Well she's had a thorough checkover at the vet and they can't find anything obvious so have sent her home with painkillers and I'm to bring her back if she deteriorates at all. Naturally she didn't want to take the painkillers so was her usual feisty self there! She's not a cuddly bun at all and really holds a grudge against me already for picking her up to treat her hocks so she is going to hate me even more now I suspect! Just seen her run across the room with a treat in her mouth though so she must be feeling somewhat okay. I'm sure she's grateful for all the RU love!

I’m glad there was nothing obvious. She was probably just a little bruised. Would you be able to hide metacam in something? I’ve mixed it into fruit purée baby food before!

I’m glad there was nothing obvious. She was probably just a little bruised. Would you be able to hide metacam in something? I’ve mixed it into fruit purée baby food before!

Yeah she loves banana flavour baby food so might mix it with that. She seemed to like the taste once I got the syringe in her mouth but that's the tricky bit, any time you put something near her mouth she acts like you're trying to kill her, she's such a drama queen lol. I think I'll have to just burrito her and do her feet and painkillers at the same time from now on.

Yeah she loves banana flavour baby food so might mix it with that. She seemed to like the taste once I got the syringe in her mouth but that's the tricky bit, any time you put something near her mouth she acts like you're trying to kill her, she's such a drama queen lol. I think I'll have to just burrito her and do her feet and painkillers at the same time from now on.

If you’ve got to capture her to do her feet you might as well do the metacam then I suppose! At least you know she is getting it all then. If you know she loves the banana baby food it’s always an option so long as she eats it all. I used to just use a small amount of the purée, so it all got gobbled up!

Back