• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nearly took Cookie to the OOH vets then this popped out! U/D he's done it again

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I went out to the rabbits this morning and noticed Cookie's eye was a bit gunky and half shut. I rinsed it with lots of sterile eye wash, gave him some banana, he took one bite then left the rest so my first thought was uh oh, this sounds like a dental related problem! Anyway I rang the emergency vets for advice, they said seeing as he's off his food bring him in at 2 and they'd have a look. I let him back outside, checked on him 15 minutes later and noticed some horrendous slimy green thing coming out of his eye :shock: Could it be some nasty mucous plug? A tiny slug? Nope...

153181712_452809366072805_2460758251039326010_n.jpg

It appears to be a bit of wheat or grass seed, presumably from their hay!

152005244_334713887915884_7986052293465579935_n.jpg

I can't imagine the relief he must of felt getting that out :cry: Anyway he's sulking a bit but should hopefully be fine, he might end up needing some antibiotic drops if the eye gets infected but at least no dental!

Because he didn't want to finish his favourite food I jumped straight to dental problem but if this happens again in the future I know now to pull down his eyelid and have a really good look :roll:

Last edited:
Aww... those bits of hay get everywhere. I've had that happen with guinea pigs before. Sometimes they get so lodged.

He's still a bit squinty which isn't surprising given how irritated his eyes must have been but at least he's running around and eating now. He's in a huge strop with me though, every time he sees me he runs inside his shed and hides. I think I'll take him to the vets tomorrow if he's still squinting

Lopsy had this, only his was about 4-5 times as big :roll: Vet had to get it out. Never does anything by halves does Lopsy. He was always fine in himelf, he just got a progressively wet face. He was fine after it was removed and he just had eyedrops for a week I think (might have begun with F? Can't remember), they were easy to administer as we just distracted Lopsy with food and popped them in and he didn't seem to really notice :lol: We didn't have an eye-licky bunny to worry about at the time!

I hope Cookie gets on OK now it's out :)

Cookie was still not opening his eye fully this morning so I took him to the vets and unfortunately the grass seed has caused a pretty nasty ulcer :( . It's a good job I'm on holiday from work this week because I have to give him drops SEVEN times a day :shock: Antibiotic drops four times a day, then a corneal repair gel three times a day but not at the same time as the other drops, and he's on metacam twice a day too. He hates me already, as soon as he sees me he either runs and hides or turns his back to me :roll:

The vet used a dye which turned his tears and snot glow in the dark green

153803053_482616749576016_5414955484560445800_n.jpg

Oh that is a very nasty one!
If it doesn't appear to heal with the drops, there is a surgical option to help improve the healing process.

I'm glad you got him seen and have started the treatment already.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ooooh, poor Cookie :( Lopsy was really lucky, he just had a tiny ulcer under the eye (so the bit he's 'not using') and our drops regime wasn't so bad at all. We had the UV stuff which was well cool and the only way the vet miraculously saw a tiny strand of the seed. Lopsy obviously had it in there a few days, I wonder how long Cookie's had his? Absolutely no way of knowing :( I hope he heals as quick as Lopsy did (three days stopped watering, no sign at vet's a week later) I hope he forgives you and lets you do things you need to do :love:

Thanks everyone! I'm really hoping surgery isn't necessary :( I think the seed was only in overnight because me and my boyfriend saw plenty of him the day before and he wasn't squinting at all, then yesterday he would barely open his eye. Looking at some pictures I think it was possibly an oat seed rather than wheat/grass and I do remember seeing something grainy-looking in their new bag of hay the night before which the rabbits pulled out straight away. I don't really understand how something so large would get in his eye and so far under his eyelid without him blinking it out at first contact

I thought I'd update this for anyone who searches 'ulcer' in the future. Brilliant news, 10 days later and Cookie's eye has completely healed! I'm really surprised because apparently they can take a really long time and need surgery in some cases. It's a good job really because poor Cookie was getting so stressed from all the medication giving

Back