Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please - bunny is limping - update

Default Advice please - bunny is limping - update

We have noticed today that Basil is limping. Hes holding up one of his hind legs and not putting weight on it at all. Because of this hes spent all day in the upstairs of the hutch. Weve brought him inside now to observe him and hes moving around a bit to shift position but no more than that. Hes eating normally and is washing himself (and us!) which is a good sign. Right now hes sitting in his litter box eating hay, but normally hed be jumping up on the furniture and running around.

Hes ten months old and generally healthy.

Should we ring the vet?
    Last edited by Wellington; 26-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    We have noticed today that Basil is limping. Hes holding up one of his hind legs and not putting weight on it at all. Because of this hes spent all day in the upstairs of the hutch. Weve brought him inside now to observe him and hes moving around a bit to shift position but no more than that. Hes eating normally and is washing himself (and us!) which is a good sign. Right now hes sitting in his litter box eating hay, but normally hed be jumping up on the furniture and running around.

Hes ten months old and generally healthy.

Should we ring the vet?
    Yes, definitely ring the Vets now. Also, confine him to a small area to stop him trying to hop about much, he may have sustained a fracture. At the very least he needs pain relief, so the Vet must see him

I used to be Jacks-Jane but I have been logged out of that account and I cant get back in !

UK Med Freedom Alliance https://www.ukmedfreedom.org/

Thanks. Its so hard to know what to do and he doesnt seem *ill*. Weve taken him to the vet this evening and they said they cant find any sign of a fracture. Theyve given him pain relief and weve brought him back home and will keep an eye on him and take him back to the vet if he stops eating.

Hes back in his litter tray glaring at me now.

Mama Doe

I hope you have some continuing pain relief to give him at home. I would also keep him confined to aid recovery and / or prevent exacerbating the injury - so no jumping on furniture, etc - better to err on the cautious side in this case. It is also important to make sure he is eating / weeing / pooing as normal. Pain may stop him eating, and that can lead to stasis - which is a veterinary emergency. Hopefully he will be feeling brighter in a few days.

Yes, the vet gave us some pain relief to give him at home for the next five days. He’s eating and pooing normally, he’s just very still which is so unlike him

If no improvement at all within the next 48 hours of pain relief and rest I would want him re-examined by a Rabbit Savvy Vet. Hopefully this won’t be necessary and he will improve x

I used to be Jacks-Jane but I have been logged out of that account and I cant get back in !

Others gave you good advice, so I am just sending positive vibes for a quick recovery.

Thanks for the advice and good vibes

No change this morning. Basil is still eating, drinking and pooing. He came downstairs for his morning pellets but other than that he is just resting in his litter tray, eating hay where he sits. He gets up occasionally to go to his water bowl or pellets but other than that he isn’t moving around. When we stroke him he licks us very enthusiastically so I’m hoping that means he’s not feeling too sad. He’s due more pain relief tonight and if he’s not moving around tomorrow we’ll take him back to the vet.

Bonnie, his sister, is showing no concern for him at all and is happily running about in the garden

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    Thanks for the advice and good vibes

No change this morning. Basil is still eating, drinking and pooing. He came downstairs for his morning pellets but other than that he is just resting in his litter tray, eating hay where he sits. He gets up occasionally to go to his water bowl or pellets but other than that he isn’t moving around. When we stroke him he licks us very enthusiastically so I’m hoping that means he’s not feeling too sad. He’s due more pain relief tonight and if he’s not moving around tomorrow we’ll take him back to the vet.

Bonnie, his sister, is showing no concern for him at all and is happily running about in the garden
    If all remains the same tomorrow I would be requesting Xrays. Glad to hear that he is still eating. Is his wee output OK, no sign of urine soiling ?

Mama Doe

As Jane says, you may need an x-ray to confirm there really is no break or spinal involvement with the injury. Leaving it for too long will make it more difficult to obtain the best outcome. I wouldn't be letting him on stairs at the moment - he really needs to be off the injured limb as much as is reasonably possible. Even soft tissue injuries will take a while to heal well.