• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Noisy breathing when eating/cleaning

We have noticed slight noise when Mischief is eating/cleaning himself. However we woke up this morning and it is definitely noisier. Sounds almost like noise a pidgeon makes!

We rang the vets to take Mischief down but we would be scraping the cash together for the visit but have no cash to treat him! [emoji22]

So we decided we would monitor him for today and maybe take him tomorrow. Not the decision I really want to take but OH was really stressed about it.

He was running around OH's feet shaking his ears really happy to see him and is eating and drinking. Just the noise has got noisier. He was sneezing yesterday couple of times like he had sonething stuck up his nose. Has anybody experience of this please?

Sorry not been on here much. I'm struggling with neuralgia constantly now and hardly sleeping myself. Can't believe this all happening at once again! [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Can you share a video? Might be easier for people to offer advice if they can hear it.
I can only add my own experiences - Odin has had this since we got him but it appears to be due to allergies. It can get really bad if he has had his nose in snuffling dusty things, and sometimes he apears to get stuck just stuck up his nose. However, monitor very closely, because another option is snuffles, which can deteriorate very rapidly. If it starts to affect his eyes or you see snot in his nose or on his front feet then you might just have to suck it up and get him to the vet asap.
I think teeth issues can potentially affect breathing too, but there are better people than me to discuss that.

Last edited:
If he acts fine for now...Think. Have you changed any cleaningproduct? Is it dusty hay or bedding? New detergent or fabric softener? New flower? Is he overweight?

Any possibility of teeth problem (root enlogation and making problems in nasal cavity)?

Could be nasal congestion due to his recent RTI. Check the fur on the inner sides of his front paws. If it is wet/sticky that is indicative of him wiping away nasal discharge. He may need to go back on to abx unfortunately. x

Can you share a video? Might be easier for people to offer advice if they can hear it.
I can only add my own experiences - Odin has had this since we got him but it appears to be due to allergies. It can get really bad if he has had his nose in snuffling dusty things, and sometimes he apears to get stuck just stuck up his nose. However, monitor very closely, because another option is snuffles, which can deteriorate very rapidly. If it starts to affect his eyes or you see snot in his nose or on his front feet then you might just have to suck it up and get him to the vet asap.
I think teeth issues can potentially affect breathing too, but there are better people than me to discuss that.
Thank you. I will try and upload video. He is flopped at moment.

He had a lung infection which he has been treated for and just come off diuretics.

I've booked him in for Tuesday when may be able to scrape together money for abx or more diuretics if needs be. Just won't be able to afford any substantial costs.

If we had any money in the bank he would be at vets today. We have enough for the vet check up and travel and that's it! Still paying off recent vet costs with family so our money has gone for this month [emoji22]

His breathing sounds fine rest of time and he is acting normally otherwise. It's just when he eats or cleans himself. It could just be lung scarring maybe? I don't know if that can cause him to make this noise?

Could maybe vapour treatment be suitable for bunnies possibly anyone? Just wondered if clearing his airways may help?

If he acts fine for now...Think. Have you changed any cleaningproduct? Is it dusty hay or bedding? New detergent or fabric softener? New flower? Is he overweight?

Any possibility of teeth problem (root enlogation and making problems in nasal cavity)?
He has put on weight again. That could be an issue. He is such a piggy and eating everything in sight! Think will need to cut down pellets again. Thank you x

Could be nasal congestion due to his recent RTI. Check the fur on the inner sides of his front paws. If it is wet/sticky that is indicative of him wiping away nasal discharge. He may need to go back on to abx unfortunately. x
Checked his paws and they look clean. His nose is wet though. Will take him to vets again then. We can just about afford antibiotics. I'm just worrying in case he has a blockage or something and needs anaesthetic again x

Maybe give them a call and talk it over first, they may be happy just to give you a repeat course of abx rather than needing to see him again in person, if he's had a recent issue. Would save travelling him and possibly a few pennies.
Most vets are happy to arrange payment over time if they are possibly able to though, so don't be afraid to explain the situation and ask for help. Even if it is just offset for a couple of weeks to get you to next month.

In my experience respiratory infections can be really hard to get rid of so maybe it is that again that has flared up and he needs to be on antibiotics again :(
Can you perhaps do a video consultation with vets so they can hear him and see him as it was so recently he was at the vets? Perhaps this is cheaper.

Sorry he's having problems again :( I hope the vet trip goes well and glad he is well otherwise

Maybe give them a call and talk it over first, they may be happy just to give you a repeat course of abx rather than needing to see him again in person, if he's had a recent issue. Would save travelling him and possibly a few pennies.
Most vets are happy to arrange payment over time if they are possibly able to though, so don't be afraid to explain the situation and ask for help. Even if it is just offset for a couple of weeks to get you to next month.
Unfortunately my vets wants £30 for telephone consultation which is same as seeing them face to face and they will not agree to payments being spread out over time.

For that reason it seems better to see them face to face so they can check his breathing but would mean stressing him out so I guess phone would be better [emoji6]

In my experience respiratory infections can be really hard to get rid of so maybe it is that again that has flared up and he needs to be on antibiotics again :(
Can you perhaps do a video consultation with vets so they can hear him and see him as it was so recently he was at the vets? Perhaps this is cheaper.
Video would be better idea than taking him I guess. And he only does it when he is eating or cleaning himself (neither of which he will do at vets! ) He does hate the vets and his breathing escalates as soon as he goes in carrier!

Sorry he's having problems again :( I hope the vet trip goes well and glad he is well otherwise
Thank you. He is actually very well otherwise. He is eating so much and constantly hugging his bowl and asking for more food. We have had to cut out alfafa and readigrass plus stop junior pellets.

I'm not too worried. I think maybe it is an issue that will always be there now. We will check him at vets as soon as we can but unfortunately we have had to spend money on taxis to A and E for me and now don't have vet money for a few days. I hate it that we can't get him checked but he seems good otherwise.

If it gets worrying we will take him to PDSA which is free but they are not rabbit savvy.

As he's otherwise doing really well, as you say perhaps it's the lung scarring which isn't really affecting him just sounds odd. Hope he remains well :love:

As he's otherwise doing really well, as you say perhaps it's the lung scarring which isn't really affecting him just sounds odd. Hope he remains well :love:
Yes hopefully. He is being a right pickle today. Definitely living up to his name! [emoji23] xx

Back