• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Farm Hay!

Beapig

Mama Doe
It was a huge coincidence that after some of you guys mentioned that baled farm hay was often best loved by bunnies, I saw an advert on a local horse page on Facebook advertising bales at only £6 each. My FIL kindly took me to purchase some as I don't have a car. Their 'small' bale was pretty huge - in the photo here, it doesn't quite fit in the sack that my Ings Hay from Hay and Straw came in. The bunnies have already tried it, so I'm hoping that this might be 'the one' :lol:

20210219_140743 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20210219_141432 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I'm so hoping its the one :love: Its got to be a good sign they've all had a nibble already. Our bales used to fit perfectly in the old white timothyhay.co,uk bags. I've kept one in case I also get a ice bale of local hay

You can buy bale bags too if this works longterm, might be a worthwhile investment for the sake of the car and your house :) Or it fits in a wheelie bin if you prefer it to stay outside.

You can buy bale bags too if this works longterm, might be a worthwhile investment for the sake of the car and your house :) Or it fits in a wheelie bin if you prefer it to stay outside.

That's interesting! Do you buy them on-line?

Yes, I have a couple. Saves hay going everywhere:lol: I got mine from Amazon

I use a single duvet to put the hay in and then store it in a wheelie bin in the bunny run. I always buy farm baled hay as it is so much cheaper and I am happy to put loads of hay in their trays and hutch. The piggies whole enclosure is full of hay too. Someone from the farm shop puts the bale in my boot and one of my neighbours puts it in the wheelie bin for me. It's not heavy but it is too awkward for me to lift it high enough to get it in the bin. If my neighbour isn't around I just drive around with a bale of hay in my boot until someone else can help. It was a lot easier before lockdown when we could have friends over - those were the days. *Sigh*

My buns and piggies eat the hay quite happily but have never known any difference. I don't let them read the RU threads about fancy hay in case they leave home:)

The 'small' bales are the 'normal' bales for those of us who buy from equine stores etc., IIRC? The 'normal' bales for farmers are otherwise the ones that go on the lorries? Anyway they're massive, at least twice the size I reckon!

I use a single duvet for both transporting and for storage in the wheelie bin. My lot are all on farm hay although the current batch is supposedly meant for racehorses.

We use farm hay for ours, a local lady just delivers it when we need some, we just get bags as have nowhere dry enough to store bales.The bunnies love it and we're supporting local small business at the same time :thumb:

You are lucky to have a nearby source for quality hay. I am paying a lot for bagged hay and do not mind if it is eaten, yet more is sometimes scattered and gets binned with daily cleanings.

I get a bale of hay for mine too
I'd never go back
Although I don't drive so it's a bit harder
My stepdad gets it for me most of the time but once they delivered it and the deliver charge was more than the bale lol
At mine put a massive black bin around the bale for an extra 50p if you want them to. That keeps your car a bit better

Oh no I just saw this!
That's such a shame!

It is a shame, especially given how cheap it was! Maybe they would have liked it again eventually but, I have very limited storage space for hay and the bale was absolutely huge. Luckily my friend's two guinea pigs absolutely love it, so it isn't going to waste. Most of it that I gave my bunnies ended up pee peed on, and therefore on the compost heap! My lot are so fickle and wasteful!

Mine always go off their baled hay towards the end of the bale. They've just started doing it now. They'll still eat it (good!) but the grass is growing and I can supplement :) Back end of December or mid-January that's not so easy :lol: I just bought an emergency pack from P@H so might upgrade the racks with that and put the last of the bale in the trays. I'm trying to hold out until I'm back at the Air Museum and it's less of a 'wasted' journey to the hay place! Just a week at most, bunnies!

Back