• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Optivet- Eye update Dec 21

Thanks all- her assessment of Zigzag’s arthritis was so thorough. I was so impressed.

Joey- I keep on meaning to post some photos up, I’ll try to this weekend. Zigzag is in my avatar :love:

Thanks all- her assessment of Zigzag’s arthritis was so thorough. I was so impressed.

Joey- I keep on meaning to post some photos up, I’ll try to this weekend. Zigzag is in my avatar :love:

Good - make sure you do:lol: I know what Zigzag looks like (I can still picture him on your homemade bed):love: but can't recall what Winnie looks like. I really like Dutch bunnies :love: Everyone should post more photos I think

Oh of course, I posted photos of him on the rabbit bed! I have a memory of a sieve. I love Dutch bunnies too, they’re my favourite breed.although I love all bunnies !

I shall post some photos of them- Winnie always looks slightly sad though because of her eye problem. And yes, everyone should post more photos!

That’s great to hear, I’m a big believer in acupuncture for pets.

The only problem is that the acupuncture ideally needs to take place weekly, and due to work and where we are located this isn’t a realistic option sadly.

C said that Winnie was extremely beautiful and unusual looking. She loved hearing that :love:

Does anyone know of an ophthalmologist in Portsmouth? I forgot to ask the vet this!
Thanks

http://www.optivet.com/

Christabel has given us the option to either go to Optivet or the QMH- where they have a team of ophthalmologists. I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience of both, and rates one over the other? I am leaning towards Optivet, but need to convince my partner to drive there!!

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

Christabel has given us the option to either go to Optivet or the QMH- where they have a team of ophthalmologists. I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience of both, and rates one over the other? I am leaning towards Optivet, but need to convince my partner to drive there!!

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

Never used either myself, but if I were to I think I’d opt for Optivet x

I think it makes sense to use Optivets & thats what I'd choose in your shoes. Good luck in getting her seen & I hope a diagnosis & treatment plan follow

Thank you, we’ve opted for Optivet. It will be like a grand day out, as we will be taking public transport!

Hello lovely people!

We went to Optivet on Tuesday!

After 3 hours on public transport, we saw a really lovely ophthalmologist who diagnosed Winnie's eye issue as eosinophilic keratitis. I have to say I feel so relieved, as she's been suffering for a year, and we've been giving her penicillin as well as many, many other eye drops and gels. It's a chronic condition, which is what we thought it would be, and we've been given a strong anti- inflammatory alongside optimmune. I'm so glad that we went to Twickenham vets because she got a referral to an ophthalmologist, which I didn't even realise was possible. I am very frustrated, and don't understand why CJ Hall failed to refer her to an ophthalmologist, and feel bad that I didn't do more. But to be honest I also had no idea this was an option, but do feel a bit stupid not knowing this.

Based on the experience I've had at Twickenham Vets, I've decided to continue going to see Christabel, not only is she lovely, she really knows her stuff :love:

Does anyone here have experience of eosinophilic keratitis? I did a Google search, and although it's a condition that cats suffer from, there's not that much info on rabbits suffering from the condition. I've only found one academic paper that I'm trying to get access to.

We have a bit of an issue with our other rabbit Zigzag- he loves to overgroom Winnie around her eyes and her neck......:roll: He's been doing this for some time- we've given him toys, a soft toy covered in her scent, different hays etc but nothing has worked. I don't think he's bored, as they're free range and are pretty spoilt by me/us. But it has now become a habit. The ophthalmologist said that because he loves to overgroom, we'll need to separate him from Winnie for an hour after we use the Optimmune, which I am a bit concerned about. If anyone has any tips on this I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

49VDDAt.jpg

I am glad you finally have a diagnosis and a treatment plan in place. I have not had any experience of the condition myself, but I hope that your Rabbit will respond well to the treatment

I think you may need to separate Zigzag for an hour after applying the eye drops as IME once eye grooming becomes an established habit it is very hard to break the habit. An hours separation should not effect their bond, although it may be awkward for you to have to keep doing

I totally agree with you re Christabel :D:love:

Thank you Jane- as you've had so many bunnies and are so experienced I thought you may have had experience of the condition :D

I agree with you, we'll separate them both after we give her the Optimmune. I really wish he wouldn't groom her so much, but I guess that's love :love:

Christabel is so lovely- she sent a lovely message after I updated her about the appointment. :love:

Thank you Jane- as you've had so many bunnies and are so experienced I thought you may have had experience of the condition :D

I agree with you, we'll separate them both after we give her the Optimmune. I really wish he wouldn't groom her so much, but I guess that's love :love:

Christabel is so lovely- she sent a lovely message after I updated her about the appointment. :love:

:love:

I’m glad the appointment went well, and that you have answers :thumb: fingers crossed the treatment goes well, sending more vibes xx

Back