• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Optivet- Eye update Dec 21

Unfortunately Winnie hasn’t responded to the pred forte or optimmune, and we feel exhausted. Her left cornea is covered in a white patch of white blood cells.

The ophthalmologist is now recommending we try a course of Prednisolone orally for 12 days. Does anyone have experience of this med?

‘ The dose is 0.25mg/kg every 12 hours 3 days, then every 24 hours 3 days more and finally every other day for 6 days more ’

Thanks

Last edited:
Unfortunately Winnie hasn’t responded to the pred forte or optimmune, and we feel exhausted. Her left cornea is covered in a white patch of white blood cells.

The ophthalmologist is now recommending we try a course of Prednisolone orally for 12 days. Does anyone have experience of this med?

‘ The dose is 0.25mg/kg every 12 hours 3 days, then every 24 hours 3 days more and finally every other day for 6 days more ’

Thanks

Not used oral Corticosteroids, but injectable ones. I am sorry that Winnie has not responded to the current treatment.

Thank you inspector Morse. Do you happen to know whether they are safe for rabbits to have orally? I was wondering whether to check with Twickenham Vets, only because they see lots more rabbits.

Sorry I realise I sound so overboard!

Last edited:
Thank you inspector Morse. Do you happen to know whether they are safe for rabbits to have orally? I was wondering whether to check with Twickenham Vets, only because they see lots more rabbits.

Sorry I realise I sound so overboard!

Rabbits are very sensitive to the potential side effects of corticosteroids, especially the suppression of the immune system and gastric ulceration. That said I have never seen any adverse reactions in the Rabbits I have cared for who were prescribed injectable corticosteroids as part of a palliative care plan.

Perhaps you could discuss your concerns with the prescribing Vet ?

Sending lots of hugs to you and vibes for Winnie. I would definitely discuss your concerns with the prescribing vet. It's horrid just to stress about something and not know the answers.

Thank you all, I’ve emailed optivet and mentioned my concerns. But I am sure she is in good hands, and they know what they’re doing. I’m just over worrying as I usually do. It’s frustrating that she’s just not responding to anything.

Although she may be uncomfortable, she’s not in pain and is still hoovering up hay and forage :love:

Thank you all, I’ve emailed optivet and mentioned my concerns. But I am sure she is in good hands, and they know what they’re doing. I’m just over worrying as I usually do. It’s frustrating that she’s just not responding to anything.

Although she may be uncomfortable, she’s not in pain and is still hoovering up hay and forage :love:

Glad that she seems to be coping OK within herself :)

I'm glad she's not in pain and still loving her food. :love: I hope you'll hear back from Optivet soon. It's so understandable that it's frustrating that she's not responding to any treatment. I hope there'll be something that'll help her... Sending lots more vibes for her.

Thank you reader of books- lovely to be sent positive vibes :love:

I gave Winnie her first tablet today, which I wrapped in cavelo nero leaf. She ate it!

Hi all,

I wanted to provide an update on Winnie and her unusual eye issue. She's completed the short course of prednisolone, and the plaque on her eye has reduced- there is still a long way to go though. Please see photos below. Apologies if people find these distressing, I thought it might be helpful for people to see, just in case their rabbit gets eosinophilic keratitis. Just to note, she still has blepharitis. I'm in weekly contact with the ophthalmologist, so she's in good hands.

This was her eye 6 weeks ago, with lots of white blood cells:

5FqrX6T.jpg

This is her eye now, and as you can see the plaque has reduced. I am hoping this continues :)

t1tiOVy.jpg

My question is around Zigzag's overgrooming. I mentioned this before but he overgrooms her neck and eyes- there isn't much hair on her neck, and there is hair missing around her eye. Once Winnie's eye issue has been resolved, I'd really like to try to resolve the overgrooming issue, and I am willing to separate them temporarily if necessary. obv I don't want to, but we just want it to stop. Does anyone have advice?

For info, they are neutered (they are ARC bunnies), have lots of hay and forage, and toys on rotation. They have a good life in my opinion:lol:

Last edited:
Awww Winnie, its great to hear your eye is getting better - I hope it continues. Ralph was on those tablets (for something entirely different) - he turned in to Superbun on them:love: He ate then from my hand. Did Winnie continue to take them easily enough?

I have a feeling (maybe its just hope) that the overgrooming might come naturally under control as her eye conditions does. I'm guessing Zigzag see's her as needing lots of grooming? Boo once groomed Mouse's ears to baldiness - turned out she had a mild ear infection. the grooming stopped when the anti biotics had done the trick.

There is no question your rabbits live very good lives - lucky buns :love:

I'm glad that Winnie's eye is improving. I also think and hope that the overgrooming will stop once the eye is better. Sending her lots of vibes. She's a brave girlie :love:

Thanks for your responses :love:

Ralph sounds like he was fun as superbun! Winnie just stared at the tablets, so I put them in a stalk of dill or wrapped them in cavelo Nero, and she was none the wiser :love:

Unfortunately the overgrooming started on her neck before the eye problem occurred. So I am a bit concerned it will continue. I do hope it stops once the eyes get better.

Zigs just loves to groom her, and she absolutely loves it :roll:

Sending vibes she continues to improve on the meds. Thank you for sharing the pictures showing awsome improvement. Looking forward to superbun 2.

Back