• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Optivet- Eye update Dec 21

Aww beautiful girl [emoji7] sending vibes that it all goes well for her and it helps narrow down a treatment option for her.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Thank you, I was wondering whether they would put her under. That’s reassured me.

Latest photos of her eyes, apologies these are unpleasant. And one photo of Winnie begging for food.

Despite having some type of growth (it’s like discharge) on her eyelid, she’s acting completely normally. Just to note that she has significant damage on her lower eyelid and upper eyelid due to previous issues.

ffcf0439b1a00b1a04c6f51fed8ca7e3.jpg

8d9046b8b703bce925ab90987d0133c0.jpg

b19a1b4627f0b8dfdf5f608747c02556.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if all of her eye systems stem from an autoimmune disorder ? I really hope that the Vet can help to make things more comfortable for her.

Thank you all, it means a lot. It’s been a challenging few years.

IM - one of the eye issues is an autoimmune and inflammatory condition- eosinophilic keratitis. She will be on optimmune for life which is ‘used for the treatment of chronic recurrent conjunctivitis resulting from auto-immune disease of the eye.’ This I believe is a local immune suppressant.

When you mention an autoimmune disorder, do you mean one stemming from her eye, or rather her whole body? Will raise with the ophthalmologist. Thank you.

I hope that Winnie's appointment and biopsy goes well next week. Sending lots of vibes for her and I hope that they will be able to help.

Thank you all, I’ll let you know how the appointment goes. I just wish we could get to the bottom of all the issues.

Lots of vibes for Winnie from me, too. I hope the appointment will go well. I'm so sorry her eye has gotten worse again. :( She's so cute, begging for her food. :love:

Hi all,

Just an update on Winnie. We saw Rob Lowe the head ophthalmologist on Wednesday. The puss on her eyelid was/ is the eosinophilic keratitis. It’s unusual to see it on the eyelid, but there we are. Winnie thankfully didn’t need a biopsy. She has a hyper sensitive immune response in her eye, which is why she’s getting so many issues. Rob put her on tacrolimus, a drop that’s often used in dogs, but hasn’t often been used in rabbits- well there’s not much in the literature. We trust Rob completely, and hope that the med works.

Rob said that Winnie is one of the most complex rabbits he’s ever seen. I’ve had 3 rabbits so far, and CJ Hall said our first rabbit, Harrison was an extremely unusual case [emoji23]! Lucky us.

Here’s a pic of Win’s in our old flat.
Thank you all for your support
40c28bd8dcec2d85164ce45bc8a0ea42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the new treatment helps too for the lovely Winnie. Complex but special bunnies ;)

Aww, Winnie. She has such a cute face. :love: I'm glad she didn't need a biopsy, and I hope her new medication will work for her. You do know how to find special rabbits. ;)

Back