• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom Pregnancy ??!!

Km1296

Young Bun
Hey guys,

I've been watching my female rabbit, Bella, for the past few days and have noticed unusual behaviour. I've noticed that she's been gathering hay, bedding, and ripping up training pads (I use these to gather urine from their little trays) to make a nest and trying to pull fur from my male rabbit, Caro, to help with that. Caro has been neutered for around 6 months now and I have had Bella now for almost 3 weeks, before we adopted her, the store had to keep her away for a month as she was previously homed with an unneutered male rabbit to observe whether she was pregnant or not, so this way I know that it's phantom and she isn't actually pregnant.

I'm not sure if it's safer to keep them separated for now until Bella's behaviour subsides or to keep them together because they had a little fight last night which I assume was because Bella was trying to pull fur out of Caro.

What would you guys recommend ?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I've been watching my female rabbit, Bella, for the past few days and have noticed unusual behaviour. I've noticed that she's been gathering hay, bedding, and ripping up training pads (I use these to gather urine from their little trays) to make a nest and trying to pull fur from my male rabbit, Caro, to help with that. Caro has been neutered for around 6 months now and I have had Bella now for almost 3 weeks, before we adopted her, the store had to keep her away for a month as she was previously homed with an unneutered male rabbit to observe whether she was pregnant or not, so this way I know that it's phantom and she isn't actually pregnant.

I'm not sure if it's safer to keep them separated for now until Bella's behaviour subsides or to keep them together because they had a little fight last night which I assume was because Bella was trying to pull fur out of Caro.

What would you guys recommend ?

If they have had a fight I’d separate them and get her spayed ASAP. You will need to wait for about a week after the pseudopregnancy stops before having her spayed.

If they have had a fight I’d separate them and get her spayed ASAP. You will need to wait for about a week after the pseudopregnancy stops before having her spayed.

We can only get her spayed from april as she's 4 months old. There's been another few episodes today but it's really just been Caro chasing after her, There's been no biting or anything (i only know about the fight yesterday as my boyfriend told me so I'm not sure to what extent it was, they didn't seem shaken or anything and went straight back to playing, however all day today has been her building her nest). I'll keep an eye on both of them and maybe contact my vet to see what the earliest date is for to spay her.

Since her hormones are active vet may move her spay date.

I gave my vet a call and they've agreed to spay her on the 5th of March which is great ! I'm gonna keep her and Caro seperated until her spay is done cos she tried to bite him today again -.-

Thanks for the advice guys !!

I gave my vet a call and they've agreed to spay her on the 5th of March which is great ! I'm gonna keep her and Caro seperated until her spay is done cos she tried to bite him today again -.-

Thanks for the advice guys !!

If she has another pseudopregnancy in the week before the spay it’s essential you let the Vet know

Back