• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Huge increase in output!

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
I'm not really worried, because clearly they are eating well and very healthy, but is it common to suddenly get a huge increase in output?! The only thing I can think of that has changed is using up a bin of readigrass as bedding, I think it has encouraged Odin to eat more as now I can rarely tell his poos apart from Freja's, which is great, he's always tended to be small. But the flipside is that they aren't eating all of their fresh food like they would normally either (they do vary, priority shifts from fresh to forage to hay quite frequently, usually dependent on the weather).
But my god they never stop pooing! It is everywhere. Freja has never managed to litter train for poo, she is literally like a popcorn machine and leaves a large pile behind wherever she sits for a moment, but now Odin is doing the same and he's always been pretty good.
Just wondering if it is somehow seasonal? The reduced interest in fresh makes me think they are finding quite a bit of new growth in the garden when they are out too, but you don't see them grazing for very long, and they sleep most of the day!

On another note, do we have any chance of persuading Freja to use a try more regularly?! I though it would improve when she was spayed, but it never did, I wonder if it comes from probably living in a smallish hutch for her first 5 months, I don't know if she had access to a tray or if they just cleaned out the whole hutch every day.

I would just keep moving the piles to the loo. And feed them in the loo if you can.

Rodney took about a year to really get the litter training whereas Primrose was a very neat little lady who wouldn't go if she didnt have a loo. Usd to get very upset if we took too long swapping a clean loo in.

Blossom is much the same as Freja in that she seems to just trail it everywhere as well as in the loo and they are massive lol. I do wonder if its still territorial and will settle once she's been with us a lot longer. I would guess the Rodney smell is probably quite strong to her still.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Readigrass should be given sparingly as it's higher in protein and the best way to encourage Rabbits is to put their hay in the litter tray as they like to chew while they pooh! It could have got her into bad habits living in a small hutch as there is no room for a litter tray. A boy would possibly use the corner(s) as his toilet. Hope this helps.

Lopsy was always neater than his girls, but then I think they spur each other on by scentmarking :lol: It's always worse in winter IMO but then mine are outside so I put it down to aniimals coming into the garden, garden plant coverage changing etc.

Readigrass should be given sparingly as it's higher in protein and the best way to encourage Rabbits is to put their hay in the litter tray as they like to chew while they pooh! It could have got her into bad habits living in a small hutch as there is no room for a litter tray. A boy would possibly use the corner(s) as his toilet. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it was just to get rid of the bit we had left so I could have the bin :) But at the moment we are struggling to get weight onto him and she is still growing so I'm not too worried short term. They have hay in every litter tray (they have 4!) but their other food is all over the place as I hate the idea of making them sit in the litter tray to eat and not having the choice - they have a lot of enrichment methods of feeding, so it can't all be in the trays anyway. If it's just how she is then that's fine, I'm just a bit taken aback at how much it has increased overnight, and it doesn't time exactly with the readigrass. It's just like something has flicked a switch and turned on the poo factory!!

Back