• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question - Moulting

It sometimes looks like it on the carpet!
But i think the reality is nature would only let the body shed a percentage of fur and renew these in cycles when bunny moults later in the summer. Sorry, not a moulting expert but very good question.

It will lose all as in the entire coat is replaced, but usually in such a way that they are never naked. It always seem an awful lot of effort and waste to me :lol: especially when you see my hairy ponies who spend 2-4 months moulting their winter coats, only to start moulting their summer coat to grow a new one after a month or two!! But I guess alongside the temperature issue it also helps to keep their skin and coat healthy, by loosening off all the dead skin that builds up, and dust, that can't work it's way out through a dense coat.
Have you ever seen mouting chickens? They are hilarious. I read one that they have to regrow 40000 feathers with each moult!! At least they only do it once a year though.

Thank you :wave: You have satisfied my curiosity. Its weird how some bunnies have such effortless moults that seem to last a few days & others go on for weeks & weeks. I've seen some very scruffy chickens :lol: Maybe they were moulting

Back