• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range house bunnies and stairs question

nap91

Mama Doe
We've had house bunnies for around 8 years and during that time we've always a banister with panels underneath it, so the spindles are boxed in and it just looks like a wall. The top of the stairs along the landing is all boxed in as well.

We are needing to replace the banister and looking at our options but are concerned that if we go to stairs with spindles on, the rabbits will try and stick their heads through and hurt themselves, as they love poking their little faces into small gaps. Is that just me being overly paranoid? What do other people have on their stairs? :lol:

I agree with you. Your not being overtly paranoid. It’s absolutely sensible.
I don’t know what your options are because open spindles are nice and you don’t want to change that.
The only options I can think of are clear Perspex between them or not very attractive wire between.
Bunnies safety comes first but I don’t know what’s the best option.
My bridge bun Henry loved zooming upstairs but neither Leo or Flo have shown any interest in the stairs.

The stairs are walled both sides here but I've had spindles in all my other previous houses, had FR house bunnies for almost 30 years. I've never had or heard of any problems but that doesn't mean they don't exist I guess. Most bunnies are pretty savvy with their environment IME. Boobly is the most daredevilish of my recent bunnies & has been rescued from various scrapes (she reckons she was fine & not in need of "saving":lol:) but none stair related . I'll be interested in others experiences

I think if you do go for them, I'd make sure that they are definitely wide enough to fit a bunny through easily, rather than trying to aim narrow and risk a bunny getting stuck.
Another option might be some net curtain type stuff along it, might be prettier to look at than perspex or wire!

Our stairs are enclosed by walls although buns are banned due to carpet munching the little fiends!

However Blossom will stick her head through any gap going, more than once I've found something that is Rodney proof with his flat wide face is definitely not Blossom proof.

She will quite happily stick her head in a gap and then try and make it bigger. She's also a daredevil for high places and would quite happily try anything once but I suspect that might be a teen bun thing.

I would definitely go for either something that a whole bunny can get through and then wire up or perspex barrier the upper levels. Or I don't know if there's a trellis style or really small gap spindle alternative?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

She's also a daredevil for high places and would quite happily try anything once but I suspect that might be a teen bun thing.
I hope so in her case: I reckon Lopsy will top himself by jumping on to/off something too high for him one day :roll: He's almost 8...

My nethie Charlie could get through a gap 1.5" wide. Aboleth could shove herself through about 2.5" and she was a fair bit bigger than a wild rabbit but the same sort of shape. I hope that gives some perspective :D

No house bunnies here but as my stairs were open to the living room on one side my dad blocked them in with graduating sizes of perspex "windows" from ceiling to the bottom of where the banisters would normally be. The woodwork is all painted in white gloss to match every other bit of woodwork and the perspex panels keep the heat downstairs and let in light at the same time so look pretty good. Don't know if that would be an option at all.

I hope so in her case: I reckon Lopsy will top himself by jumping on to/off something too high for him one day :roll: He's almost 8...

My nethie Charlie could get through a gap 1.5" wide. Aboleth could shove herself through about 2.5" and she was a fair bit bigger than a wild rabbit but the same sort of shape. I hope that gives some perspective :D
I hope so too! I have had to get used to 'rescuing' Blossom from various perches. I always get the flicked feet after too!

So far she's never tried the same one twice though. Although I desperately need to find a way of bridging the gap between the sofa and windowsill for them as she wants to bask in the sun when there is some!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

We have an open stairway into the lounge. The sofa is against this wall. The buns love to leap through this gap. I'll did a video the other day...... https://youtu.be/TFhwG0kUdl8

They both zoom through at speed in both directions. Archie tried to widen the hole even though he can easily fit. So I had to fit the metal capping. I was concerned at how much paint he was eating.

They both regularly stick their heads through but don't try to jump from up high. They know just the right spot.

19d00861cf334973da2767e5705598d9.jpg

Blimey Mervinius that was one heck of a jump.

House bunnies here but no spindles so sorry can not help. Daughter (with Philips doppelganger) has spindles but Theo does not climb the stairs.

Blimey Mervinius that was one heck of a jump.

House bunnies here but no spindles so sorry can not help. Daughter (with Philips doppelganger) has spindles but Theo does not climb the stairs.
You should see Pip. She's so much faster and its normally part of a mega zoomie. Its a bit disconcerting when a bun lands on you whilst you're chilling on the sofa though. [emoji1787]

You should see Pip. She's so much faster and its normally part of a mega zoomie. Its a bit disconcerting when a bun lands on you whilst you're chilling on the sofa though. [emoji1787]
I think I'd have a heart attack! :lol: I see also the metal's been experimentally chewed too :lol:

Back