• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine Smell

zenyah65

Young Bun
Hi Guys,

My Nethie Miff honks a little bit of wee, he is not castrated yet as he is to young.
He is a dirty rabbit and cleans himself, the pen is also cleaned daily, but he smells a little around his bum area.

I don't bath my rabbits at all, how can I clean the smell off him? Obviously don't want to use a standard wet wipe in case it irritates him, I'm based in the UK are there any products for this sort of thing?

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

My Nethie Miff honks a little bit of wee, he is not castrated yet as he is to young.
He is a dirty rabbit and cleans himself, the pen is also cleaned daily, but he smells a little around his bum area.

I don't bath my rabbits at all, how can I clean the smell off him? Obviously don't want to use a standard wet wipe in case it irritates him, I'm based in the UK are there any products for this sort of thing?

Entire Bucks do smell. As long as his rear end is not soiled then you can’t do anything about the smelly wee apart from having him neutered. How old is he ?

He is nearly 4 months old. His back end isn't soiled just a little smelly, he is housed with a spayed female. I do plan on having him castrated.

When an intact male sprays or Marks territory does he leave little amount of urine everywhere?

He is nearly 4 months old. His back end isn't soiled just a little smelly, he is housed with a spayed female. I do plan on having him castrated.

When an intact male sprays or Marks territory does he leave little amount of urine everywhere?

He will be VERY frustrated being with a Doe, even though she is spayed. Yes, he will spray urine, he will also mount her and the inevitable bodily secretions will occur. He is old enough to be castrated , by 4 month Bucks testicles are almost always descended and as long as he weighs more than 1kg there is no reason for him not to be neutered now. The poor lad must be climbing the walls with raging hormones atm.

Yup they do smell. I used Odour Killer or baking soda under the litter. Helps with odour. And to a point also diet. Not too much pellets.

He will be VERY frustrated being with a Doe, even though she is spayed. Yes, he will spray urine, he will also mount her and the inevitable bodily secretions will occur. He is old enough to be castrated , by 4 month Bucks testicles are almost always descended and as long as he weighs more than 1kg there is no reason for him not to be neutered now. The poor lad must be climbing the walls with raging hormones atm.

I agree. How is your female coping with all this?

She is doing great, they get on very well he does try to hump her but she is pretty chilled [emoji4] I have wiped his rear end down with water, and will get him booked in for a spay soon!

She is doing great, they get on very well he does try to hump her but she is pretty chilled [emoji4] I have wiped his rear end down with water, and will get him booked in for a spay soon!

For the sake of the welfare of both Rabbits I would strongly advise you to keep the Rabbits in separate accommodation until you get your Buck castrated. Then rebond them 6-8 weeks after his neuter, he will have a hormone surge AFTER neutering, hence the need to wait 6-8 weeks for this to settle. It really is not good for the psychological welfare of either Rabbit to keep them together whilst he is entire. The Doe may appear to be coping with the constant humping, but I can assure you she would be damn glad for it to stop. Only you can facilitate that.

The rabbits are well cared for.

They were originally separated after her spay, however her behaviour became aggressive for a short while, after speaking to my vet and nurses they advised me to integrate them back together as the aggression was because she was missing him (her son).

I integrated them on advice of the vet, by putting them in a dry bath together with plenty of food and slowly built the time up over days, now they are not aggressive towards each other and get on very well.

I would just like to mention that his whole day isn't spent trying to hump her at all, it's occasional and she copes very well by moving away and he gets the picture.

They will remain together for the time being and I will monitor them as I have been doing.

Thanks all for the advice on the original subject of a urine smell and how to clean him appropriately.

Back