• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnant bunny leaving lots of cecal poops

Laurenxah

New Kit
Hi everyone! I’m looking for a little advice on my pregnant doe. I believe we’re at day 26/27 now. For the last few days, possible up to a week, she’s been leaving lots of her cecal poos. She’s definitely eating some of them, and having some normal, but the majority of her poops I can see are the cecal ones.
Her diet hasnt changed at all. And before this I would never see her cecals, as obviously she’d eat them all.
She’s still having unlimited hay, and her pellets in the morning. Obviously being pregnant, I’m not planning on reducing her pellets at all, I’m simply just looking to see if anyone has similar experience with their pregnant bunnies.

Many thanks.

I am not fully sure of the reason but I have heard that a pregnant Bunny will go off her food just prior to kindling so this may tie in with that. Rabbits sometimes do things which don't make sense to us but there is usually a reason. I hope Bunny kindles successfully and babies do well.

If she is only 26/27 day gestation and has been leaving her cecotrophs for over a week it is unlikely to be due to pre kindling food intake reduction which occurs as the Doe knows she will be eating the placenta after kindling . Doing this promotes milk production.

You say your Doe is passing ‘some’ fecal poo, do you mean her fecal poo output has decreased ?

Is her general demeanour normal ?

How old is she and is this her first litter ?

If she is only 26/27 day gestation and has been leaving her cecotrophs for over a week it is unlikely to be due to pre kindling food intake reduction which occurs as the Doe knows she will be eating the placenta after kindling . Doing this promotes milk production.

You say your Doe is passing ‘some’ fecal poo, do you mean her fecal poo output has decreased ?

Is her general demeanour normal ?

How old is she and is this her first litter ?

Hi! Thanks for the reply! I’d say her normal poops are not too far off what she was doing before. They seem darker also. But the cecal poops i’m noticing. Especially overnight, in the morning there seems to be a lot more of the cecals. I hope that makes sense

She’s absolutely fine otherwise. Eating normal, drinking normal. She’s her normal happy self.

It is her first litter. She’s around 9months.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! I’d say her normal poops are not too far off what she was doing before. They seem darker also. But the cecal poops i’m noticing. Especially overnight, in the morning there seems to be a lot more of the cecals. I hope that makes sense

She’s absolutely fine otherwise. Eating normal, drinking normal. She’s her normal happy self.

It is her first litter. She’s around 9months.

It is probably nothing to worry about, she may just be finding it to be tricky to reach around to her bum as she has a belly full of kits. Don’t cut back on her food rations as doing so risks pregnancy toxaemia which is life threatening.

Back