• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amber spay today 2 15 21 Need vibes and advice.

Hope Amber had a good night, and hope she's feeling bit better today. Sending loads more vibes xx

Pleased Amber's spay went well. She just needs time to recover and hopefully she will feel more like eating something today.

Hope she's peeking up this morning. It's a big op and the vets most likely gave a painkiller that's zoned her out a bit.

Sending vibes for her x

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

She made pee and a couple poo so I got sleep at 2:30. Spouse checked her earlier and I just gave her medicam. She made five more poo and ate three small dandelion leaves overnight. She is not drinking and dribbled water I tried syringing. I will give time for pain meds to work .

She made pee and a couple poo so I got sleep at 2:30. Spouse checked her earlier and I just gave her medicam. She made five more poo and ate three small dandelion leaves overnight. She is not drinking and dribbled water I tried syringing. I will give time for pain meds to work .

She will have had IV fluids at the Vets so the not drinking isn’t an issue atm :)

She will have had IV fluids at the Vets so the not drinking isn’t an issue atm :)

Thanks for telling me.she had fluids at vets.
Thanks to ru friends for helping me to not panic too.

1.5 hours sinne pain meds and she ate couple pellets and couple small dandelion greens. She also left me several more poos . I am going back to bed now that her gi moving better. She is afraid which is unlike the usual Amber so I am giving her quiet time.

Thanks for telling me.she had fluids at vets.
Thanks to ru friends for helping me to not panic too.

1.5 hours sinne pain meds and she ate couple pellets and couple small dandelion greens. She also left me several more poos . I am going back to bed now that her gi moving better. She is afraid which is unlike the usual Amber so I am giving her quiet time.

Sounds as though she is recovering and in a couple more days she will be much more like her usual self x

I'm pleased Amber is making progress post op. I have found that it takes a bit of time with does to recover and one option might be to discuss pain meds as I've usually ended up having to increase the meds which has then provided the support for my does to make a stronger recovery. She's certainly in the best hands with you and you are doing a fantastic job nursing Amber through the post op days.
Sending vibes for Amber and hope that she is bouncing about in the next couple of days.
Craig xx

I'm pleased Amber is making progress post op. I have found that it takes a bit of time with does to recover and one option might be to discuss pain meds as I've usually ended up having to increase the meds which has then provided the support for my does to make a stronger recovery. She's certainly in the best hands with you and you are doing a fantastic job nursing Amber through the post op days.
Sending vibes for Amber and hope that she is bouncing about in the next couple of days.
Craig xx
Thank you for sharing your experience. My Heidi had a rough time years ago yet it is a blurry and my late Maddie was spayed at the rescue. My other bunnies in recent years were males which had quicker recoveries. Yesterday I asked vet to calculate the most medicam I can give safely and he gave me that number and the dosage to start with this morning, and even that dosage was moderately heavy. I hope it lasts the full 24 hours. Zorro must be stressed about Amber because he did not eat all of his morning pellets, though he got some when I checked Amber overnight. Bunnies can be such a worry.

Last edited:
Thank you ru friends. I have difficulty dealing with these situations, not knowing when to wait, when to intervene, and how to intervene. It means a lot to know I can communicate my concerns to other bunny lovers who can offer advice, share experiences, and provide comfort and support .

Nothing quite so unnerving as having major surgery in a small animal and one of the worst winter storm seasons going at the same time. :( This was the kind of fun I had every winter in Alaska. I empathize. (((((Huge hugs)))))

You mentioned the 24 hour range of metacam...have you asked your vet about breaking the increased dosage up into two equal 12 hour halves instead of one 24 dose? I had to do this with Mimzy to keep him comfy. He had early onset arthritis at 3 years and was on metacam for life, so this may not apply to Amber since she should only need temporary relief, but it's worth asking. :)

Lots of recovery vibes and warmer weather prayers on the way to you. xxxxx

Nothing quite so unnerving as having major surgery in a small animal and one of the worst winter storm seasons going at the same time. :( This was the kind of fun I had every winter in Alaska. I empathize. (((((Huge hugs)))))

You mentioned the 24 hour range of metacam...have you asked your vet about breaking the increased dosage up into two equal 12 hour halves instead of one 24 dose? I had to do this with Mimzy to keep him comfy. He had early onset arthritis at 3 years and was on metacam for life, so this may not apply to Amber since she should only need temporary relief, but it's worth asking. :)

Lots of recovery vibes and warmer weather prayers on the way to you. xxxxx
You are right about split dose because I usually split Raven's dose though his pain level is easier for me to read with his history so vet would approve split dose for Amber if needed, as long a split dose that does not exceed daily dosage in total.
Vet has cautioned me not to exceed maximum dosage.

She ate a few pellets and drank a small amount of water so at least her pain is under control for now.

Its great having ru isnt it?

Hope all is well with your girlie.

Thank you for your positive thoughts. I :love: ru. Amber is making slow steady progress . Vet staff just called to check her progress so I hope my update does not jinx her.

Back