• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay cubes?

Hot~Bunny

Young Bun
Hi, all I am new have a Lionhead outdoor bunny.. my husband is allergic to hay and I want him to be indoors during the winter and now I have heard of hay cubes... is it common here in the UK and is it easy to get a hold of it?

If so where?

Hi

My husband and I both suffer from hayfever we are very lucky though as the bunny's hay does not affect us. I get a runny nose when I clean them out and put in fresh hay but luckily it clears up and I don't suffer when cuddling them or being in the same room as the hay (although I won't keep them in our bedroom).

Is it a hayfever style allergy or is it a skin rash - my old vet (he has changed practices now) used to suffer a severe reaction to certain types of hay - I once took my GP in a box of hay and the vet had to examine him at arms length and was still all swollen when he had finished (nasty rash on his hands/arms, swollen eyes, runny nose). It seemed only certain hays caused this problem as he had no problems with the hay the rabbits were on. Has your husband experimented with hay from different sources? (Possibly would need a very understanding husband to be willing to rub himself in different brands of hay :lol:).

The hay cubes I am thinking of are not usually large enough to fulfill a rabbits requirement for hay if you mean products like Alfalfa cubes (dried compressed cubes). My rabbits don't like them and would much rather eat normal hay over them. If you mean something else please describe them? :)

My brother-in-law is allergic to rabbit fur and he had a pet rabbit as a kid - he always had to take an anti-histamine before he cuddled it :roll: he still goes and hugs ours and strokes them knowing full well he will swell up!

Caz

Hi Caz, thanks for your input.
Well he has a very silly nose as well, not only feeling bad around it, but he cant stand the smell, that is what gives him the headaches for some reason, we have debated about this as I thought first he was just being stubborn.. but I have seen him in really bad shape.

That is the main reason why I am considering hay cubes, normal hay is OK for the summer, this is something I would only think about the worse winter days and bad autumn days when London is the worse.. like now, its so bad that we lost our cat trailer up in the air :shock: and I dont want him out there on his own.

This is the only reason I have thought about hay cubes.

Yep, our pet shop sells Kaytee timmothy hay cubes so you can get them. If your pet shop supplies Kaytee products, they'll perhaps order them in for you.

Is it the smell of the hay or the smell of the bunnies - I use a natural cat litter under the hay in their litter tray and it absorbs all the odour.

Bunny bazar is where I got my alfalfa cubes from and I have also bought Supaforage from Burgess - little compressed hay cakes, they don't seem to be popular with Zeus but the others like them. It will be an expensive way to give them their forage though :wink: !

Caz

No its not the bunny smell, he hardly smell anything lol.. its they hay and the dust, even though it says on the hay bag, no dust but you feel it in your nose a lot.

But I will look into the hay cubes and also ask my pet shop near me, I will write all the info down and I let you know how it goes.

I need a indoor cage as well.. not sure where to get one from as our pet shop dont have them.. I looked at ebay but they dont have any...
Any one here selling one?

For indoor cages, consider using a dog cage, they're really nice and tall so the bun can stand up, or if you're feeling DIY-inclined, try the storage cubes that've been discussed on the forum!

I have supaforage feasts which are round cakes of forage. My bunny likes them and they are hard so good for teeth. I get them in a tub from pets at home. Would dried grass be the same for him as hay? It is much fresher but i guess if u have hay allergy it would be as bad.
Ive also seen them on http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/food.htm Not sure if they are the same thing as they are for chinchillas but im sure someone on here will know.

Thanks all, i have ordered from Ebay a normal rabbit cage which says its a great size for 1 average size bunny.
He have a massive hutch out side, and will be using it during summer, and spring and autumn, winter time I will take him in and found a great cage for him.

I asked my pet shop if they do hay cubes, and they dont :cry: but will see where else on the internet I can find and buy online.

Thank you all, you all been so helpful :wink:

Back