• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please about putting bunny back outside

Nhh322

New Kit
Hi
I am new so sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I live in Scotland and we have had our bunny for 3 years this April, he was a rescue and always lived outside unless he’s been ill.

On Tuesday it got to -16 and I was so worried about him I couldn’t sleep, I have his cage really well insulated and had put a heat pad in but he has fresh parsley for breakfast and I put it out and within mins it had frozen, so I called the vet and said he was just sitting huddled up, she said even in a well insulated cage it was far too cold so bring him inside in a cool room.

We brought him in and he’s just sitting in his cage huddled up, he’s eating and pooping and I don’t know if he got sick in the cold or if he’s just upset as he has a huge run outside and loves being out there.

I want to put him back out as that’s where he’s happiest but it’s still -7 during the day and I’m worried because the vet made me bring him in, that the shock of going back outside will be worse for him than it would have been leaving him out there!

I don’t know what to do for the best for him, the last two days before we brought him in, his run was 6 inches of snow so he hadn’t been leaving his hutch, I didn’t know if that was just because he was cold or he didn’t like the snow.

Any ideas on what I should do? Put him back outside? Put him out during the day and bring him in at night? Keep him in until it gets warmer? He has access to a large room in the house and has been out of his cage 4 times today for a wee explore, but he’s mostly hunched up in his little bed in there and even though he’s eating, he’s not himself, but he never is when he’s in the house as he’s used to being outside and has a very large cage and run

If he lives alone I’d keep him in. Put lots of hide places about the room he is in that he can retreat to as he gains more confidence and make sure the room is not too hot and is well ventilated. Over the last week I have seen too many posts on Social Media of Rabbits succumbing to hypothermia. Whilst theoretically Rabbits can cope with extremely cold weather in the wild they live below ground where sub zero temperatures don’t occur, they live in groups so can rely on other Rabbits for warmth.i

If you do choose to put him back outside the information on here may be useful

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/outdoor-rabbits-in-cold-weather/

Hello and welcome. I would bet that you and your bunny have the most stunning views of Scotland up there. Even with the snow.
But at -16, I think it’s probably rather beyond what your bunny could comfortably tolerate. If fresh food is freezing even with your insulated hutch with heat pads, your rabbit is going to feel that sort of cold especially at night as he will be less active. Yes he enjoys the outdoor environment - probably loves just looking at your beautiful scenery and eating the fantastic grass and fauna you have - I don’t blame him. I’d wanna be outside too.
But - your priority to him is his welfare and right now even tho he won’t understand, he needs to be in a much more protected environment like a cool room. He’s not going to be happy about it and this is possibly why he’s acting as he is. But it’s in his interests to stay safe inside whilst this awful cold spell passes.
You could let him out perhaps for a short period each day- maybe around mid day when it’s probably at it’s mildest, but I’m definitely in the corner of bringing him in whilst it’s so brutally cold. We are due to get milder temps next week so hopefully he’ll be back outside by the middle of next week.

i would definitely not have him outside in those temps. very high risk of hypothermia.
it won't hurt him to be inside for a while & (maybe?) you could let him have a short time outside a couple of times a day.

I'm in a similar situation - although not quite as cold here. I had to bring a pair of rabbits inside to treat one with antibiotics and generally keep an eye on her. It's far too cold to put them back out at the moment, so they will stay in my bathroom for at least a few more days - then it is due to be reliably above zero.

My general rule of thumb is that if the water bowl in the hutch freezes over, it is too cold. The hutches currently have 3 layers of carpet over them, and multiple snugglesafe heatpads in the hay-stuffed bed areas and it's just about ok for the remaining furries, but they are also living in groups.

Rabbits are likely to be a bit more sedate than usual if they are suddenly in new surroundings. It's good that he's eating / pooing normally. I would make sure he has as much room as you can allow him (protecting wires, etc from chewing), keep an eye on him, and wait for the weather to pick up before putting him back outside. He should keep his winter coat if he's in a cool room.

Maybe also think about gettig him a companion - rabbits prefer the company of other (neutered) rabbits, and they can keep each other warm in winter.

Thanks everyone, it's just above freezing now but there is still a lot of snow in his run, I want to clean it all out before I put him back or as everything is soaked, he's adjusted really well to being in the house now.
I brought some of his toys and things in from outside and he seems happier and is hopping around, I think he was just so cold when we first brought him in he needed to warm up!
We are leaving him in until it's consistently warmer so the temp change isn't too much for him.
He's very fistey and protective of his home and run, he's not very receptive to other bunny's even though he's been neutered, I would love to get another but have no where to keep it if my bunny continues to be aggressive, because he was so little when he was born, all the his siblings picked on him, that's how he ended up in rescue, and now he seems to think other bunny's are a threat, if anyone has any suggestions how we might overcome that id be happy to hear them.
He's in my front garden in a huge run, he has birds visit him, a little mouse who sleeps in his hay and everyone walking past stops to chat with him, he gets very distressed if we have to catch him for his vet checks or just to pet him, he also does bunny hops, lays flat out in his run, digs in his dirt out and plays with his football, he doesn't seem unhappy and lonely but I do really worry that he is!
We go out several times a day to chat to him and pet him if he allows it which isn't often!
I'd rather he was an inside rabbit by I have two cats and I don't want him stuck in just one room forever, but I genuinely think he loves being outside when it's not freezing!

Last edited:
Back