• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I feeding the right diet?

Hi, I have 2 Netherland dwarfs who are coming up to 1 year old. I've noticed recently that their poops are a lot darker over the past few weeks than they have been previously. We haven't changed their diet but I've heard this may be a sign of too much protein so wanted to make sure I'm giving them the appropriate diet!

Pellets: we give them an equal mix of science selective junior (it says that this is okay for adult dwarfs) and Burgess nature's blend. We give them between 15-20g each over the course of the day.

Hay: generally Timothy or meadow hay with Burgess dandelion or oat hay mixed in. They both eat plenty of hay.

Veggies: I try and vary this as much as possible but they have small portions of 3 of the following each day: romaine, rocket, celery, cucumber, pepper, coriander, parsley, mint, sage, tomato, basil. They will occasionally have very small portions of spinach, cabbage, kale, sprouts, pak choy if we have it in but I never give much as I know it can cause tummy upsets if they have too much!

The only thing I can think of is the pellets. I've looked and the SS junior seem a little high in protein? Are we okay in offering them a mix of pellets?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated :)

My thoughts are they sound to be on perfect diets. Mine are doing darker poops these last few months but they are a good size & not too hard so I'm happy. Colour alone isn't a concern or indicative of too much protein as far as I'm aware.

I think you've got the best bunny names - Sausage & Beans. I use the nickname sausage with my boy Joey

I agree with J&B and if they are not putting on unwanted weight then I would say stick to what you are doing.

Darker poos can just be because they have more fresh food and forage. Mine always have darker poos for this reason but they are perfectly healthy.

I think you've got the best bunny names - Sausage & Beans. I use the nickname sausage with my boy Joey

Hehe thanks. My boy is Joey too! He's the beans as he has so much energy and is full of beans! My girl Sophie aka sausage due to her long stretched out flops! Sophie sausage and Joey beans :D

Thank you all for the responses, I'll just carry on as we are as they seem happy and aren't gaining weight. I was possibly worrying too much as we weren't getting the nice golden poops!

Back