• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Much Do You Spend Monthly On Dried Forage?

I saw recently that someone spends £350 a month on forage for I think it was 15 buns and some pigs...:shock:

Norfolk Feeds are recommended as come in big bags, apparently cheaper on nature’s grub website.

Thanks for the tip. I buy from Norfolk Feeds via eBay.

.........first order placed to Nature’s Grub........oh dear :lol:

I nearly did and if the apple sticks ('sicks' [sic])!! had been available I would have gone through with it. Only last week I bought 3 x 1kg bags via ebay so I talked some sense into myself.... (for now.. the willow bark is calling....)

What an enormous selection of forage on Natures Grub/Bulk Botanicals. I don't buy dried forage, but it appears to be quite reasonably priced.

Does anyone know anything about this company or where they source their products? Looking at the website all I can find is that it is sourced world-wide and has been produced without pesticides.

What an enormous selection of forage on Natures Grub/Bulk Botanicals. I don't buy dried forage, but it appears to be quite reasonably priced.

Does anyone know anything about this company or where they source their products? Looking at the website all I can find is that it is sourced world-wide and has been produced without pesticides.

No, not known to me. My first order with them for 1kg of plantain took ages and when I messaged them they apologised and thought they had messaged me re the delay. They said they were waiting for a delivery from Germany.

Every other order since then has been dispatched very quickly and has always been of high quality. I've only ordered plantain and dandelion until this week when I threw caution to the wind and bought a premium flower selection and ?nibble salad - roots and greens.

I just read this thread out of curiousity and now I feel a really bad Bunny Mummy as I don't buy my buns or piggies dried forage. They do get regular fresh veg/fruit depending on what is reduced or a reasonable price in the supermarket but their diet is primarily SS pellets and baled hay. I do go foraging in the better weather and pick dandelion leaves and hawthorn for them which goes down really well. I have lots of brambles in my garden and sometimes try them with those but the buns are not that keen and I don't know if piggies can eat brambles.

I did buy some sticks from Fluffers earlier this year which were popular with my furries so I will probably get some more if they are still available, although I am pleased to say the box is lasting a long time as I only have two buns and two piggies now.

I just read this thread out of curiousity and now I feel a really bad Bunny Mummy as I don't buy my buns or piggies dried forage.

I haven't always bought dried forage, just when funds allow. I'd give fresh greens as priority if possible over dried. I see having dried forage to hand as the ideal rather than an essential.

Has anyone ever seen any nutritional information about forage, dried or fresh? I've seen the calcium content chart from FHB, but I can't recall seeing anything else.

Has anyone ever seen any nutritional information about forage, dried or fresh? I've seen the calcium content chart from FHB, but I can't recall seeing anything else.

Never, no and I have searched for it. I'm pretty sure FHB was asked about this and said she had never managed to find the information either.

I've ordered from Nature's Grub several times now (it's never even occurred to me to look at postage as I've never come close to the minimum spend, mine is always way above! The buns love it, there is the occasional bit of "rubbish" in which is inevitable in most stuff that is grown and harvested, but given that it is all handled closely just in doling it out it isn't a problem. Their delivery has always been incredibly quick and easy to track.
A lot of this type of stuff comes from Germany, they seem to grow and use a lot more than we do here - I used to use Grunhopper when we first got the buns til I realised that I could buy the ingredients in bulk myself instead, and I was paying a lot for the dried veg bit that is heavier, but they get fresh anyway.
I've had most of the stuff they sell that is suitable by now, so if anyone wants to know what something is like I'm happy to give feedback. They do two types of dandelion, I got the cheap one last time which is quite clumpy (Freja quite likes chunky dandelions it seems!) but we feed that fresh when possible anyway so I'm not too bothered.
If you can afford the outlay, buying raspberry, nettle and dandelion seperately instead of as the leafy mix is about £3 a kilo cheaper ;)
The dandelion roots are lovely!
Also watch out to get the whole leaf of some of them rather than the chopped stuff.

I haven't always bought dried forage, just when funds allow. I'd give fresh greens as priority if possible over dried. I see having dried forage to hand as the ideal rather than an essential.

I buy dried forage because mine are pellet free and I can't get enough variety fresh in the winter. I had to switch to buying because I couldn't dry enough of my own in time for this winter, but this year will be different and hopefully won't be so costly. I wanted to keep as close to their summer diet as possible, they just get more bought fresh food and as much fresh grass and foraged stuff as I can find as I didn't want to go completely dry for them, I don't think that would be good for them when they were used to so much fresh food.

Back