• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slobber, excessive salivating

He is so grumpy when he is on table for his treatment. He has a mind of his own about all that. :) But since he is getting better I will not listen to his opinion very much.

Yesterdays pic. Little bit of fur is growing back. He had the choice of Oxbow Orchard hay, Versele Laga Mountain hay (30% fiber, still a great hay, nice smell) and Bunny Nature (only 23-25% fiber)....and gues what....he got him self in the Bunny nature hay (the softest). He does like Orchard too. A bit less of Versele Laga (the hardest, but not as much as timothy).

Vet called yesterday to say results are negative for fungus. Go figure. He is getting better with skin, lots of fur has grown back. BUT he started showing signs of dental discomfort. Heh now I got him figured out when it starts to bother him. Now if my calculations are correct. He needs dental in two weeks. We might be able to prolong untill the end of month BUT he has not eaten hay for a week so. I'll just book him for dental before he starts to drool again.

He has a check up for skin tomorrow.

But he is a little fury, got fed up with washing and creams.

It is so unusual for Rexes to have Dental problems, he has been very unlucky in that respect. But very fortunate to have such a great care giver. I hope the Vet will be pleased with how his skin is looking now :)

Is it? And he has been such a good hay eater all the time. The only time he did not eat much was when his wife died and it lasted about a week or so. And back to hay mouching, big golden poops....And then in october he started to eat less hay-root enlongated waaay up, abscess in periorbital area. And surgurey to remove 2 tooths. back to hay, back to spurs-slobber-hai/skinproblem and now again dental soon.

But he does not have sore hocks...at least not yet. He will be 6 years in june.

Vet was pleased to see him and decided to stop the antibiotics and pain meds. He has a lot of fur growing. On bald patches I am still using cream that soothes.
I still have meloxicam fot 1 or 2 times. SO he will get that in the morning.

He did looked teeth with otoscope ( I think this is how it is called). As usual I will observe daily, monitor hay intake, poops, mood and jaw movements. I know he has developed a habbit of jaw movement.

We will try and see if we can wait with anesthetic as long as we can. So that he can rest and boosts his imune system. He is getting Oxbow vitamin cookie (with omega 3 and 6). And He has 4 type of steady supply hay. Some more expensive, some less.

Oxbow Orchard, Versele Laga Mountain hay, Rasco and Bunny Nature. All are softer type of hay, but still hay is a hay. :p

I happy if he is happy.

My little pitbull ( I love pitbulls)

No more baths (yupey)

It is all about the hay

What wonderful pics, showing just how much he has improved :love: I am truly in awe of how much you have helped him. I hope that you and he can defer the dental as long as possible.

Back