• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slobber, excessive salivating

AnjaSanja

Warren Scout
Hello everybunny!

SO Brko had his dental februar 4th. He is happy eating hay, happy taking NSAID. BUT He was drooling for 3 days ALOT-prior vet visit. Vet has noticed he has a bit inflamed skin, I was silly billy to forgot ask if he needs special care for that. So I cliped mated fur as much as possible.

At this point he is not drooling like crazy anymore. I am putting Bepanthen cream on it and after theat I scater veggies or pellets or something, to occupy his mind.

He is botherd by his skin,fur and has started to overgroom where he can reach at the chest.

Before I call the vet again- I would ask you guys. How long it usualy takes to get better? Shoould I ask the vet for antibiotic cream to increase the healing process? As it does not look nice. It is red, inflamed, some parts withouth fur, some cliped. I wish the vet would have shaved off wet fur then.

I have only one photo as it is hard to do. Bunnin one hand, phone in the other. On the photo it does not
look as bad as it is. But I did cliped fur after the photo, and more when my boyfriend came home. It is easier with 4 hands.

Last edited:
Sorry, only just seen your post, it looks as though there may be infection present. Probably bacterial, but maybe fungal. I hope the Vet can help x

Back from vet. He is on antibiotics now as well. I will closely monitor. Keep it clean, dry as possible and if needed we are back.

Back from vet. He is on antibiotics now as well. I will closely monitor. Keep it clean, dry as possible and if needed we are back.

Hopefully now you have clipped the fur, he is no longing drooling and the infection is being addressed the effected area will heal and his fur will regrow. He’s a lovely lad :love:

Bleeeeh. Called the vet first thing in the morning telling everything and ask if I can bring the bun tonight for light sedation and thorough clipping, shaving fur as it is worst then yesterday. I cand shave off everything as I'm scared of hurting him if he fidgets. He is so botherd by skin and that little mated fur, that he is overgrooming chest and paws. Luckly they can fit us in and in 4 hours he will be under vet care.

I'm hoping they have cone of pride or satalite. As he must be prevented from licking, grooming. Otherwise it will just go worse, not better.

I'm terribly clumsy but I have looked in DIY cone for rabbits. I have bandages and old shirts that can be sparred, so that I can padd something on neck.

Poor boy. :cry:

At least he is eating hay, veggies, pellets, drinking from bottle (I took bowl away for now), poopin, peing. So that is a good thing.

So for now I'm doing my best to prevent as much as possible. Scatered bits of pellets, put them also in snack ball, sprinkle herbs in hay, scater veggies around and now he is napping. he just napps, eats, overgrooms.

Oh that poor bun.So we are back from the vet. He got his skim cleaned wich was painfull but quick. And now he had double the dosage of painkillers to every 12hour and the same with antibiotics. As he has very inflamed, flaky, crusted skin in pretty large area.

Adition to that we have special antiseptic shampoo to put on and leave for 5 minuted and then rinse it off. Every day, if possible two times per day. This will be battle I can see. SO it takes two of us in the evening and weekend, but during the week only at the evening.

And Bepanthen on skin after drying.

forgive me Brko for that torture. He is not a happy boy.

Oh and no cone for him as I was unable to get one small enough.

Hope his skin clears up soon, must be really painful :( I understand about putting the poor things through care as well: they don't understand it's for their own benefit a lot of the time. Big hugs xx

Poor Brko :( Sending him lots of vibes. It is really upsetting when a bunny needs so much intervention. Lots of hugs for you.

It is. As they don't understand. Today was the first time I ever syringe feed 10 ml of water. Slowly he was pretty coperant with it. But I had to do it as he is sored around muzzle and avoids drinking by himself. It was also the first time I use critical care (anise) he liked it and was happy to gulp down. A bit messy but overall a good boy. I just gave him meds now. In about an hour I will gently as possible used antiseptic shampoo and then dry him to my best knowledge and put some Bepanthen on skin only.

I will sleep on sofa tonight. Just so that I can check and offer goodies and water during the night. Tomorrow I need to put cream often during the day (it is soothing for him). He does not like hanlding now. Who can blame him, he is sore. But the cream does help ease the soreness and promotes healing. And I have a busy day tomorrow. I hope he will not get worse.

We made it through the weekend. I was so worried in friday that I called the vet. He reasured that it will take few days, gave some instructions about water intake...
Saturday was better. A bit more active, drink on his own, ate a itsy bitcy hay, and more dried dandelion leaves. He got used to shampooing and cream and my friend even made him a soft cone that I had to made smaller. He is a champ so far.

When he was resting I made photo. Just to see how bad things can get with moist skin and very fast. This was after wash. Fur skin is dry, fur is mostly dry.

We have small poops. But at least we have them. I have one job interwiev today and later I'm calling the vet for thursday/friday checkup.

and a soft cone (that I later cut some off). He is not wearing it all the time.

Back