• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best paw barrier cream

Does anyone know of a safe cream I can use on Mr Chief's paw to try and protect from scuffing it. He is constantly digging at blankets and carpet and hurting it again.

I was told by vet that Sudocrem is not safe to ingest. Does vaseline work and is it safe to use? He licks his paw constantly so I'm thinking that vaseline may still help a little as it's so greasy?

I'm using antiseptic spray already to heal paw.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I've used both vaseline and sudocream and the sudocream was a tiny bit better I would say but Rosie wasnt one for licking it off.

We'd just started the F10 ointment not long before we lost her but that seemed to work well with Primrose.

It is a difficult balance to find something edible or distracting them long enough with something until it's a bit more absorbed in.

I think Jane put a link to the cream she's using on your other thread.

In all honesty the things that made the most difference were rugs and kids foam matts under everything that we could secure so she wouldnt eat them. And a deep layer of straw in a her favourite spots that it was suitable for.

Oh and vet bed sewn into fleece coverings for sleepy spots! Those seem to be a favourite with all the buns and very washable. The fleece is to stop stop the chewing...

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Personally I would not use Sudocrem or Vaseline if he is licking the paw constantly. Until the healing process is complete he may need a dressing on the foot. But of course not all Rabbits are compliant with this and they will keep chewing it off. Any creams you put on will get licked so they will get ingested. IME topical treatments can also make the Rabbit keep licking the area even more, so counterproductive really. Some Vets will advise using a Buster Collar to prevent this. Personally I don’t agree with using Buster Collars on Rabbits due to the amount of stress they are likely to cause.

As the problem for Mr C is due to a ‘deformed’ Dew Claw that he keeps catching on things he digs at it may be that the only long term solution is to have the claw removed.

I've used both vaseline and sudocream and the sudocream was a tiny bit better I would say but Rosie wasnt one for licking it off.

We'd just started the F10 ointment not long before we lost her but that seemed to work well with Primrose.

It is a difficult balance to find something edible or distracting them long enough with something until it's a bit more absorbed in.

I think Jane put a link to the cream she's using on your other thread.

In all honesty the things that made the most difference were rugs and kids foam matts under everything that we could secure so she wouldnt eat them. And a deep layer of straw in a her favourite spots that it was suitable for.

Oh and vet bed sewn into fleece coverings for sleepy spots! Those seem to be a favourite with all the buns and very washable. The fleece is to stop stop the chewing...

Thank you for your help.

Yes we are looking to invest in vet bed for his main areas. And soft rugs in rest of the flat where he may go.

He does have a tendency to dug at all soft coverings and he does that with the blankets/fleeces and duvets we have put down even though we have secured them.

It was looking better the last couple of days and then today he has scuffed it again and made it bleed hence why the post.

I think we just have to persevere with the salt water soaks and we bought an antiseptic spray at a pet shop as was quicker than ordering the one IM suggested online but I now wonder if hers is a different kind of product? I will ask her [emoji6] xx

Personally I would not use Sudocrem or Vaseline if he is licking the paw constantly. Until the healing process is complete he may need a dressing on the foot. But of course not all Rabbits are compliant with this and they will keep chewing it off. Any creams you put on will get licked so they will get ingested. IME topical treatments can also make the Rabbit keep licking the area even more, so counterproductive really. Some Vets will advise using a Buster Collar to prevent this. Personally I don’t agree with using Buster Collars on Rabbits due to the amount of stress they are likely to cause.

As the problem for Mr C is due to a ‘deformed’ Dew Claw that he keeps catching on things he digs at it may be that the only long term solution is to have the claw removed.
I wrote on the post to Carelessquid07 that I bought a spray thinking it was a similar product to what you suggested as was at local pet shop. Would you say that is the case or is it a different type of spray? We will get the one uou suggested if it is different and better.

I don't think he would accept a dressing and would bite it off. We tried a sock type thing and he chewed it to bits! I wouldn't feel happy putting him in a collar.

I think we will just stick with salt water and the antiseptic spray and try and stop him digging and licking it.

We definitely want to get the dew claw removed as it is the second time he has got a sore paw now and it is a nightmare to heal. Wouldn't it be done under anaesthetic though? I would rather he didn't go through that again at the moment as he has been through so much.

Thank you for your help. Just wanted to clarify if a barrier cream would be a good idea but will leave it to get to the air for now xx

Is the spray the type that dries leaving a thin film? I use that type for myself because seals area .
I only used sudocream on disabled bun who could not lick it off. Perhaps bandage as IM suggested using no chew wrap-some bunnies still chew it.

Is the spray the type that dries leaving a thin film? I use that type for myself because seals area .
I only used sudocream on disabled bun who could not lick it off. Perhaps bandage as IM suggested using no chew wrap-some bunnies still chew it.
Ah it makes sense if the spray leaves a film over it! I will get some if it is then [emoji6]

I will look at bandages aswell if that doesn't work. Thanks xx

Sorry to ask again about this but is it usual for the site to be swollen? It is still a bit red and bleeding a little aswell. Not sure whether to get a vet to check it as they missed it last time.

Sorry to ask again about this but is it usual for the site to be swollen? It is still a bit red and bleeding a little aswell. Not sure whether to get a vet to check it as they missed it last time.

iMO it is not normal and it could be that an abscess has formed.Personally I would get a Vet to check it. One of my previous Rabbits, a big French Lop ended up having to have a toe amputated due to infection around the nail base that penetrated bone.

This was the Bunny, Victoria Meldrew. She was an X breeding doe who had spent 3 years in a 4 ft hutch, only coming out to be mated up. Hence her front legs were bowed, she had chronic pododermatitis, mammary tumours and uterine cancer :cry:

The muesli mix was only given as she was recovering from surgery and not eating well, it was a case of eating anything is better than eating nothing

Ze0VUcH.jpg

Sending lots more vibes for Mr C

Poor Victoria Meldrew! [emoji22]

At least she would have had a good home being with you. I love the name though! [emoji23]

There is a big soft swelling under the sore area compared to his other paw and it is not healing. It may be that he is just scuffing it running around plus he keeps licking it however better to be safe than sorry. I will ring vets this morning.

Thanks for your help as always [emoji6] xx

I spoke to PDSA vets on phone and they are giving us a week's course of Baytril and some more Loxicom.

She said it could be an infection or maybe where he keeps licking it the area has become inflamed. Hopefully it will clear up now! [emoji4] xx

Tea is a great soak or wash especially for wet wounds that need drying up - and it doesn't risk stinging like salt water does. Best made with boiled water and left to cool but I have made it with a little boiled water to make a strong tea and then cooled with cold.

Tea is a great soak or wash especially for wet wounds that need drying up - and it doesn't risk stinging like salt water does. Best made with boiled water and left to cool but I have made it with a little boiled water to make a strong tea and then cooled with cold.
That's interesting. Does it act as an antibacterial wash aswell?

Tbh Mischief loves his paw soaks. He puts his paw in bowl himself and leaves it in there and I sometimes swish his paw about aswell. He also gets extra kisses and strokes while his paw soaks which he is always up for.

He has started to sit on the towel when I put it on the floor waiting for me to put the bowl of water down. Just too cute! [emoji7]

That's interesting. Does it act as an antibacterial wash aswell?

Yes to a degree https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249787/
I had a dog who we pulled through necrotising fasciitis secondary to a cat scratch infection just with sterile manuka honey, neem oil and black tea. Never had any antibiotics at all. Since then we rarely use anything else on us or the animals, but they each have different properties - I learned an awful lot in those couple of months about wound healing!! But a black tea wash does amazing things in a very short space of time. Green tea might be better but I never have that in the house!!

Yes to a degree https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249787/
I had a dog who we pulled through necrotising fasciitis secondary to a cat scratch infection just with sterile manuka honey, neem oil and black tea. Never had any antibiotics at all. Since then we rarely use anything else on us or the animals, but they each have different properties - I learned an awful lot in those couple of months about wound healing!! But a black tea wash does amazing things in a very short space of time. Green tea might be better but I never have that in the house!!
Oh I have green teabags in the house! I will try them. It's still not healing and was bleeding again this morning [emoji53]

It probably doesn't help that this morning I went into kitchen and when I came back in to the room my OH told me I had just missed Mr Chief tearing round the room at full speed! [emoji36]

How cute!

Maybe he likes the spa feeling lol

He must do! I'm sure he loves it when I hold paw and splash it in the water. He watches it with interest and never tries to escape or anything. It's very therapeutic for both of us [emoji178]

Back