• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet Trip

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Following on from my nail trimming question in ‘Health’

My vet is a 29 minute walk away according to Google, is a shoulder carrier okay to transport them...is 29 minutes there, vets and then 29 minutes back way too long? I really really don’t want to subject them to so much stress but I don’t drive and there aren’t buses in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say shoulder carrier, what do you mean by that? I wouldn’t use a fabric carrier. Could someone give you a lift, or could you get a taxi?

They're house bunnies, right? Personally, I'd be worried about it being too cold for them right now to be outside for that long. I know that in the past when I've had to take my house bunnies to the vet in winter and they'd have to spend some time outside on the way there that they'd quickly get too cold, even with blankets and a snugglesafe in the carrier, and a blanket covering the carrier as well.

My vets is a 30min walk and man, it's too far with a big carrier (it's a Catit Cabrio so massive and heavy) and two >2kg bunnies, I think it gets to about 9kg in total! I would only consider carrying that much for any distance in a rucksack (I'm 5' and not strong), so it's not an option for me. We do have a carrier that I can carry on a shoulder strap which would be about 6-7kg, but I reckon it'd still be awful. We've carried it to the emergency vets which is <10mins but in both hands like a big box. I would also worry if mine were indoors, as carriers are designed to have good ventilation and so are drafty.

I know it adds to the cost a fair bit but I'd definitely consider a taxi at least for now.

You've got potential ice etc to deal with and carriers are so awkward at a lot of distance and you also have to contend with the buns shifting their weight about which can be really destabilising.

I'm terrible because I bought a large carrier for my guys and didn't think it through, I can barely handle it to the car and back because they can move so much and my arms are short.

Also if the carrier is part fabric, my guys would be through that in a minute or two.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Given the pandemic and my health (and a lack of support in so far as getting lifts off people) I’ve somewhat been avoiding the option of using a taxi but then I’d be jeopardising the rabbits health so I guess I’m gonna have to suck it up.

As for a fabric carrier, I don’t think the bunnies would dig at it but it is only so I could carry them. A normal plastic carrier would be really difficult to carry all that way...I think it’s just gonna have to be a taxi occasion for now until I learn to drive though.

To be even more secure, could you use place the rabbits in a plastic carrier then inside the 'push chair' IM has linked I think could work. I'd worry about them just being in fabric. I too walk to vet appts, luckily it's a 5 min walk atm but we have done 30 to a different hospital for tests and I took one rabbit in a plastic carrier and found it ok although was regularly switching hands!

How long are your Bunnies' claws? Can you show us a photo as some people consider them too long when they could wait a bit longer. The weather here is going to be milder in a few days so maybe hang on.

I am NOT advocating pushchairs for Rabbits but given your specific circumstances what about one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Display4to...2848287&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-7&ts_id=471366031

You’d need to add additional covering to prevent the Rabbits being able to see out and lots of warm bedding in the carrier.

I would not take a Taxi anywhere during a Pandemic, I too have health problems so I totally get you on that issue.

Thanks for hearing me, I’ve been so stuck with this...I want what’s best for us all and it’s hard to find that!

I’m in such a predicament because no where local is really rabbit savvy according to RWAF, so I’ve tried to find somewhere within a decent distance and decent reviews. Alas, still stuck with a 30 minute walk or a taxi ride.

The push chair sounds promising. Especially with the additional advice of the traditional plastic carrier! I’ll look into it!

How long are your Bunnies' claws? Can you show us a photo as some people consider them too long when they could wait a bit longer. The weather here is going to be milder in a few days so maybe hang on.

Just learned how to add pics but I’ll have to wait for my little ones to wake up from their day snooze first.

Thank you guys fir the advice

I use a dog pushchair with a plastic carrier inside. Much much better than walking!

We take our rabbits to CJ hall in London which requires quite a lot of walking and public transport. We’ve been doing this for about 3-4 years as we don’t have a car. They have always been fine, as long as they’re well insulated.

I’d recommend getting pushchair as others have said.

I carried Boo (2.5k) in a typical carrier for what is normally a 15 min walk & I felt like my arms were dropping off (not helped by her shifting her weight every few seconds & my paranoia about the handle giving way & her feeling uncomfy with a swinging motion). Shoulder bags I think could be risky but i agree the pet stroller could be a winner. Whats the vet trip for, just nails?

I carried Boo (2.5k) in a typical carrier for what is normally a 15 min walk & I felt like my arms were dropping off (not helped by her shifting her weight every few seconds & my paranoia about the handle giving way & her feeling uncomfy with a swinging motion). Shoulder bags I think could be risky but i agree the pet stroller could be a winner. Whats the vet trip for, just nails?

Just nails, I don’t think they need to go quite just yet for a trim but I’d like a vet nurse to do them for now as it’ll be less stressful for all of us. Once things are more normal and we are allowed into the vets I want to watch how they manage and then hopefully move towards doing them myself. I used to clip my last rabbit’s nails but she wasn’t bothered by a lot of things and was an instantly cuddly little lady.

Back