• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur growth

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Billy had his belly shaved for an ultrasound last May/June time. The hair has been growing back, but it's growing really slowly - you can still just about see skin, at most the fur is about half a cm long. Is this area normally quite slow to grow back?

I worry the poor guy must have such a draught on his belly :lol: I hoped when his spring coat came in, this fur would blossom in too.

Last edited:
Bless him, a draughty tummy :lol: I'm not sure about rabbits but Jack dog has ultrasounds every 6-8 months and his tummy fur never grows back before the next one!

It's funny that buns can be so different.My bridge girl Cleo after her spay ,went for her wound check up five days later and her fur had almost grown back.She had soft fur,blue otter lop,but medium length coat.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Sophie had an ultrasound a few weeks ago and it's growing back in patches. Some areas are still completely bare, but in in other areas the fur has been growing back quite nicely. I didn't know it could take months! I hope Billy's belly isn't too cold. :lol:

Interesting feedback! I suppose I just want to be sure that it's "normal", at least for some bunnies! It possibly makes a difference that he's an indoor bun.

I think he'll have been really grateful for the breeze in the summer at least :lol:

Rodney's fur is really slow in that area.

He had his ultrasound last June and it took a good 6 months to look normal for him again.

I thought maybe it was because he has such a thick coat the first layer came though quickly but it didnt get thick until much later.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Rodney's fur is really slow in that area.

He had his ultrasound last June and it took a good 6 months to look normal for him again.

I thought maybe it was because he has such a thick coat the first layer came though quickly but it didnt get thick until much later.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Interesting! Billy is a pretty short-medium thickness, although his belly fur is maybe an inch long. He seems to have had his ultrasound around the same time as Rodney, so I wonder why his belly still looks so obviously shaven.

Pip had to have her leg shaved at the vets once it took over a year to re grow [emoji33]

Well this just gets weirder, because he also had his leg shaved for a blood draw soon after the scan, and that grew back in no time :lol:

Gosh I make it sound like he must've been really sick! He actually had nothing wrong with him, he's just learned some bad behaviour.

When we adopted Boo her belly was practically bare & I remember thinking they must have told me her spay date wrong but this seems the most likely explanation. Noodle had her face shaved many times & that grew back fast, the darker fur before the white

Bigwig has been shaved for her heart ultrasound and the vet said with indoor rabbits it often has some seasonality to it and they'll often wait until the next moult/regrowth for it to grow back which I thought was interesting :)

Back