• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

aggression and destruction after neutering

gracieweg

Young Bun
it’s a month today since reginald has been neutered. he’s never been aggressive or a big chewer; the main reason why we wanted to get him done was to fix his litter tray habits. he’s fine on the hard floor but as soon as he goes onto something soft (eg the fluffy rug in the lounge) he poops and pees everywhere! we haven’t tried him on the rug since his neuter because i’ve read that it takes about a month for his hormones to settle. over the last week he’s started to show signs of aggression and is being destructive. he tried to nip at my hand the other day when i went to bring him in to bounce around. he’s also been digging in corners and pulling/digging at clothing. i thought that this was strange because it’s taken so long for the hormone surge to begin. if anyone has any experience with this some advice would be much appreciated. he’s never been like this before and it’s come on so suddenly

It can take several weeks for hormones to settle, at least 8 weeks

Does he have a Rabbit friend ? Rabbits are much happier if they have a companion of their own kind

I'd say these behaviours are essentially rabbity; although more intense in unneutered bunnies. Some bunnies go a bit loopy at this time of year & "bad" behaviours increase. One of girls spends the whole of January digging the entire contents of her litter tray out repeatedly. They always seem to think Spring comes earlier than we do

he doesn’t have a friend yet. we got him last spring and originally wanted to adopt a bunny but every centre we contacted told us they weren’t allowing adoptions to take place because of covid so we got him from a friend of a friend who’s male lion head escaped his enclosure and found her female lop 😬. we’ve planned on getting him a girlfriend but i’ve read that they get on best if they’re of a similar age, meaning we would need to adopt. last year i had my heart set on this one particular bun but after weeks of being played by the adoption centre we decided to give up. i would love for him to have a friend but i doubt it will be any time soon until covid is over :(

Mine started this (plus he became a messy eater) when spurs were strating to form. And they were very mild spurs. But he seems to be kind of a rabbit theat even slight shift out of order gets him uncofortable. He hed teets filed down and pedicure while under.

i’m getting desperate now. the amount of chargers he’s chewed through in the last week or so is ridiculous. i keep them out of his reach and cover them but he is determined to get to them and chew them. he also tried to chew the wall earlier. he didn’t do anything like this before he was neutered. is this just temporary? it’s been over a month since his neuter and he’s getting extremely difficult to cope with. i’ve had to limit his free roam time because if i take my eye off him for more than 20 seconds he starts getting into trouble!!!

All my buns went through a stage like this in their teen stage between 1 and 2 years.

A friend is definitely a good option to keep him happy, most rescues are rehoming now with restrictions in place.

How much space does he have when you're not letting him out? Soes he have enough space to binky?

He could be bored and the digging at clothes is often wanting attention.

The wall munching is something I see when Rodney isnt eating enough hay. Could that be the case?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back