• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Selfheating mat meets approval!!

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
I bought the big buns a selfheating mat to try yesterday, to see if it helps ease Odin's stiffness - they rarely snuggle up inside, but often lie on top of the boxes under the bed to sleep, so I taped it down on top of them (Freja goes for the edges if they aren't taped down!).
Went up this morning to find these snugglebuns - I guess they like it!! They did not move, even when I went back to get the camera, even after I opened the catflap. Might have to go and get another now for the outside loft apartment as they spend most of the day out there!

KKQQFMVm.jpg
VycsvW2m.jpg
cxJ1c4um.jpg
j7zh8zbm.jpg
w5HIjIlm.jpg
sn1IssQm.jpg
zeR9eMom.jpg
lssHnnwm.jpg

They do look very cosy.

I'm glad some bunnies appreciate nice things. I bought my two a memory foam pet mattress from Aldi a couple of weeks ago, thinking it would be nice and comfy to sleep on. They just spend all their time digging at it so it's now full of huge craters.

They do look very cosy.

I'm glad some bunnies appreciate nice things. I bought my two a memory foam pet mattress from Aldi a couple of weeks ago, thinking it would be nice and comfy to sleep on. They just spend all their time digging at it so it's now full of huge craters.

yay for digging matresses :lol:

They do look very cosy.

Haha, yeah, I've learned quickly what is likely to survive and what won't - foam is definitely out, but smooth fabric covered stuff seems to be ok. It's just edges I have to watch, she gets very feisty with them :lol:
I got one for my dog a few weeks ago but his is padded - this one is just a thin flat mat, and it's huge!!

Do they have to go into the microwave? Oh I guess not 'self heating'. They sound great. Want one now for my outdoor pair, Frosty and Daisy.

Do they have to go into the microwave? Oh I guess not 'self heating'. They sound great. Want one now for my outdoor pair, Frosty and Daisy.

No, it's basically a mat lined with that silver survival sheet I suspect (have had similar in the past) so it isn't warm to touch, it just reflects their body heat back at them gently. Perfect for my guys who very rarely seem to feel the cold but I don't want Odin sitting on cold surfaces all the time as he chooses, as it doesn't make them warm but clearly it feels nice! I toy with the idea of a heated pad but I doubt they'd use it.
I did wonder about putting a ceramic heatlamp over one area of their indoor pen, so they can bask in gentle heat if they choose but it doesn't change the temperature of the room...

They look so cuddly!

I've considered it but Rodney seems to poke holes in the middle of things rather than go for edges. No idea how!

He likes curling around the snugglesafe but it's not quite the same.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

They look so cuddly!

I've considered it but Rodney seems to poke holes in the middle of things rather than go for edges. No idea how!

He likes curling around the snugglesafe but it's not quite the same.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It's a really thin mat so he might just not really notice it?

I have just bought one of these based on your post! Will report back to let you know how it goes!

I got one for the girls a month ago... they throw it off the box into the litter tray.

That one looks much nicer and a better size. Can I ask where its from/what brand?
I also like the tape it down idea.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

So, like radiator backing film but not polystyrene? Cool :D I might try and knock a small one up out of radiator backing film if I can be bothered, I'd just need to keep it flat :lol: Maybe put it on hardboard...

I got one for the girls a month ago... they throw it off the box into the litter tray.

That one looks much nicer and a better size. Can I ask where its from/what brand?
I also like the tape it down idea.

It's from B&M, there's a photo of what the packaging slip looks like on the first page - but they do two different ones, one is padded and smaller, this one is much larger but comes folded up and costs £10.

So, like radiator backing film but not polystyrene? Cool :D I might try and knock a small one up out of radiator backing film if I can be bothered, I'd just need to keep it flat :lol: Maybe put it on hardboard...

Possibly, probably, I havent actually cut it open to see :lol: but radiator film would probably do the same job, what about taping it to the floor or a piece of card and then covering in a thin fleece?

Possibly, probably, I havent actually cut it open to see :lol: but radiator film would probably do the same job, what about taping it to the floor or a piece of card and then covering in a thin fleece?
Cardboard would get sodden quickly, I do have some thin plywod pieces hanging around... Yes, a fabric covering would be a must! Maybe I tackle this as 'practice' for recovering chairs? :lol:

It's from B&M, there's a photo of what the packaging slip looks like on the first page - but they do two different ones, one is padded and smaller, this one is much larger but comes folded up and costs £10.
Thank you so much. I'll have to pick one or two up and "borrow" your tape it down idea.

Back