• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple [emoji531]

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Leafy & Ivy’s servant girl here,

So I added a few drops of unsweetened pineapple juice into my little Lord & Lady’s water because they do not drink enough based on their poops and finally!! I’m seeing them at their water bowl!

I’ve left them two bowls and a bottle, but only put juice in one bowl and left the others neat.

I’m considering purchasing some dried papaya and pineapple as I believe they are good for digestion? Particularly for hair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing to keep hair moving is to encourage gut motility which is done with lots of hay and roughage and few carbohydrates (pellets). Wet veggies will help get more fluids into your bunny.

The best thing to keep hair moving is to encourage gut motility which is done with lots of hay and roughage and few carbohydrates (pellets). Wet veggies will help get more fluids into your bunny.

I agree, also, from the RWAF:

‘’Don’t try and fix the problem yourself, by giving your rabbit pineapple juice for example, that won’t help and its high sugar content may make things worse, unless advised by your vet.’’

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/illness/gut-slowdown/

They eat lots of hay, more than their body size in hay in fact and veggies. They don’t drink and I’m at a loss at how to get them to drink. It was literally a few drops of juice...their poop is very indicative that they aren’t drinking enough and I have no idea how else to get them drinking now.

I should say that otherwise their digestion is fine. They are just currently moulting so I was gonna give them like a small piece (and I mean seriously small) piece of pineapple or papaya every now and then.

I’ve posted before about grooming and the difficulty of it because they are both rescues and only just moved here (22nd) and very easily spooked and stressed. I’m trying! But I don’t want to expose them to too much and undo our bonding but also affect their digestive system in turn.

Veggies are touchy too because they are picky and don’t like a lot, they will only eat certain things so I have to be careful as too much will in turn upset their tummies...and I don’t know what they’ve eaten in the past so going slow anyway. They had been receiving too much protein so I’m monitoring that too.

That being said, if anyone has any other tips to get them drinking I’d be ready to listen.

Also I was going to try small drops of unsweetened apple juice or carrot juice but again they are picky and dislike

Drinking more is always a constant battle here!

You could try some teas.

Camomile
Peppermint
Cranberry
Raspberry
Strawberry

Are all herbal flavours they may enjoy and no added sugar.

If they don't like wet veggies then popping the stems of what you're feeding them in water before you give is another way of giving a bit more.

Also Pro C added to water is something some buns like.

And I've found Rodney prefers to drink filtered water, possibly something added to our tap water he isnt keen on.

I have also been considering a cat water fountain but am worried about the mess that might ensue....

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Drinking more is always a constant battle here!

You could try some teas.

Camomile
Peppermint
Cranberry
Raspberry
Strawberry

Are all herbal flavours they may enjoy and no added sugar.

If they don't like wet veggies then popping the stems of what you're feeding them in water before you give is another way of giving a bit more.

Also Pro C added to water is something some buns like.

And I've found Rodney prefers to drink filtered water, possibly something added to our tap water he isnt keen on.

I have also been considering a cat water fountain but am worried about the mess that might ensue....

Thank you for understanding the struggle!

These teas...are they teas we hooms can also drink as long as they are unsweetened? Can you recommend any brands?

As of yet, they enjoyed all herbs I’ve given them and don’t mind if I leave them a little wet thankfully.

Maybe I should try bottled water. I hadn’t thought of this!

Any hooman teas without caffeine and added sugar of that type.

I usually get tesco own brand or twinings

Nettle is another one as well.

Unfortunately although they like the juices it can cause different gi issues like gas which can be really awful but the teas avoid that.

Can also use fresh herbs to make teas, coriander/mint/basil with boiling water and then wait til warm and pop that in their bowl can be good too.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I've no idea of that's how it works.

My guys seem to enjoy warm or cold teas but only cold water. Guess teas smell nicer.

Back