• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rupert still humping

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I posted a couple of months ago about a change in Rupert's behaviour, he was consistently humping Lilac, chasing her and honking at her. It's still ongoing and if anything has got worse over time, he is SO persistent.

Both are in good health and nothing has changed at home so I don't know where this behaviour has come from or how to stop it. I don't know whether to intervene, Lilac just sits there or tries to run off, she has never been aggressive towards him. I was trying to stop it as I felt bad for her but am unsure if this makes the situation worse as I'm sort of stopping him asserting his dominance.

The other thing that has coincided with this is he is becoming increasingly affectionate towards us as well, he regularly jumps on the sofa for cuddles and is always licking us. Could there be a link between the two and if so how do I interpret it? Do I just have to leave the two of them to get on with it unless it escalates?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi Jane, he is almost 4 and was neutered before I got him, maybe 18 months ago give or take?

Hormonal behaviour in adult neutered Rabbits can sometimes be a symptom of an adrenal gland problem. Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...-cache/1/adrenal-gland-disease-in-rabbits.pdf
Thanks for this, he doesn't present with any of the other symptoms described but I am unsure whether to make an appt with the vet just in case. Apart from the humping he is a happy little chap, really active and sociable, gets into everything!

Thanks for this, he doesn't present with any of the other symptoms described but I am unsure whether to make an appt with the vet just in case. Apart from the humping he is a happy little chap, really active and sociable, gets into everything!

That is how all three of my Rabbits with AGH initially presented. Just lots of humping. This progressed to spraying and buzzing and seemingly being totally hyper

Interesting, he definitely buzzes, you can hear him a mile away! I'll get him checked out to be on the safe side. Is this something that's treatable?

Frosty is always humping Daisy. She is patient and just hops away (when she can). I am concerned about him. Glad you posted this thread.

He doesnt buzz or spray.

Frosty is always humping Daisy. She is patient and just hops away (when she can). I am concerned about him. Glad you posted this thread.

He doesnt buzz or spray.
Rupert doesn't spray (yet) but his tail is always up when he's chasing her as if he's about to spray. Will definitely get him checked out.

Rupert doesn't spray (yet) but his tail is always up when he's chasing her as if he's about to spray. Will definitely get him checked out.

It may be that it is purely behavioural.If your Vet is not RS don’t be surprised if they have never heard of AGH in Rabbits.

Back