• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Showing signs of stress & possible head problem? *video link in post*

ryanpm

New Kit
Hi,

Our rabbit Fred has literally this evening been showing odd signs.
He's eating fine, but acting very lethargically and sitting/laying around with squinting eyes.
There appears to be discomfort with his head. He has it tilted to one side slightly and appears to move/stretch and/or do something with his mouth (Video attached showing example)

We don't want to jump to any conclusions, but has anyone had something like this diagnosed before?
The vets are booked on Thursday AM (will phone tomorrow to try and get earlier) but wanted to try and get some understanding prior if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Could it be e-cunicili?
I’m sure some of the more experienced ru’ers will provide some of their keen observations for you abd I hope you can get an earlier vet appointment. Please keep us updated on how Fred gets on. Sending him loads of vibes. Xx

It could be; although I really hope not.
I'm kinda praying someone with experience comes on and says it was simply ear wax/infection or something more minor.
Fingers crossed, thank you for your response.

That does look concerning.

He doesnt have anything stuck in his mouth or eyes does he?

Almost like he's trying to groom one side but it's like a tic.

I don't have any experience of head tilt but that's what I would be worried about.

Does he have any unusual eye movements?

I would definitely push the vets for an emergency appointment.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I looked in his mouth a little, but nothing.
He has since been eating plenty of hay so assuming it's not mouth related.

Eyes appear to be fine too. Plus his little friend has been washing his eyes too!
Eye movement appears fine so far.

Will speak to the vets tomorrow and get him seen ASAP!
Sad to see :(

Thanks for your concern.

I don’t see the head tilt but maybe I’m not seeing properly. Is he still doing that strange head jerk though? It looked a bit like choking maybe but I’m not sure...

Definitely push for sooner appointment...

If he does have a head tilt it could be E.C but it could also be an ear infection or something too...

Send you and Fred some love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something bothering him in his mouth, right side

If he is sneezing then possibly something up his right nostril

No head tilt, highly unlike to be EC

Could be something as simple as a bit of hay caught around a molar tooth spur. If the problem is ongoing a Vet examination is needed. You can’t see the molar teeth without a ‘scope

Here's another video for reference.
Not sure if this shows anything more clearly?

Vets are calling back this morning to decide on moving appointment forward.

Here's another video for reference.
Not sure if this shows anything more clearly?

Vets are calling back this morning to decide on moving appointment forward.

In that video it looks more like ear pain, right ear. Have a feel for any lumps at the ear base. I am glad that he will be examined by a Vet today and I hope all goes well x

Back from the vets.

They checked his ears and no issues, in fact very clean.
Teeth appeared fine also.

They presume based on this it could be one of three things; issues with the roots of his teeth, an inner ear infection (not visible externally) or e.cuniculi.
They suspect it might be e.cuniculi and would suggest attempting to treat this before doing other investigation (such as x-rays under anaesthetic)

An attempt was made to take blood to test and know for sure, however it was not coming out quickly enough and would clot.
We have been given treatment to stop the e.cuniculi in its tracks if he does have that.

If the treatment doesn't show signs of improvement in 28 days we will investigate other possibilities.

Thanks for the support <3

That’s a positive to get the ec treated as fast as this. It’s good you got to the vets today so treatment can start straight away. Getting that treatment in will then enable you to monitor improvement and report to the vet.
Topping up the vibes for Fred. Xx

Back from the vets.

They checked his ears and no issues, in fact very clean.
Teeth appeared fine also.

They presume based on this it could be one of three things; issues with the roots of his teeth, an inner ear infection (not visible externally) or e.cuniculi.
They suspect it might be e.cuniculi and would suggest attempting to treat this before doing other investigation (such as x-rays under anaesthetic)

An attempt was made to take blood to test and know for sure, however it was not coming out quickly enough and would clot.
We have been given treatment to stop the e.cuniculi in its tracks if he does have that.

If the treatment doesn't show signs of improvement in 28 days we will investigate other possibilities.

Thanks for the support <3

You will need to treat her companion too if EC is suspected. EC is spread via spores in the urine and in contact aRabbits are therefore at risk.

Back