• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue rabbit with aggression

HarleyKez

New Kit
Hi everyone,

My neighbour has a 4-month-old Netherland dwarf which today out of the blue has turned really aggressive but only towards her.

She has asked me to take him as it was too upsetting. I sadly lost my beautiful Dutch after just over 10 years so I am not so familiar with dwarf breeds.

He is set to be neutered in March which should help. He hasn't shown any aggression to me and just hops out his cage and straight on my lap.

He seems quite ‘wired’ and alert a lot of the time and quite often showing the white of his eyes. Is that just part of the breed or a sign of stress?

Any advice is so welcome, I just want to help the little guy as best as I can. This whole situation is awful 😢

ND's can be high strung, though not all are. My one ND, Raven, is territorial and will charge toward me when he sees me taking his litterbox, bowl, or cleaning up pee; however, if I pick him up he is fine.

The aggression may be due to the Rabbit feeling scared (fear aggression) or he might be feeling unwell. The whites of his eyes could be the third eyelid which needs to be examined by a Vet as you don't normally notice it.

There are a number of reasons why he’s showing a sudden aggressive streak but it’s important to understand one basic principle - rabbits by nature and design are not an aggrsssive species. It is not within their nature to react unless there is an underlying issue because they are prey animals so they are designed to run away rather than confront.
So something is or has triggered the reaction.
It’s possible that at 4months he’s just getting a flush of hormones. This can change a behaviour to establish a hierarchy or dominance.
It’s possible that he’s not feeling well? He might have a teeth issue or ear issue or something else so I would suggest perhaps consulting with a vet for a check up.
He may have been spooked by something? A fox or cat or bird?
My own feeling is that he’s reacting to something and he’s displaying a sign for help so I would continue to monitor him closely, eating, pooping, weeing, and spend time with him which will make him feel secure.

Another thing that I feel is essential for any rabbit's welfare is another rabbit for company. (Both neutered/spayed as appropriate).

How lovely that he hops onto your lap. I have recently got a lovely nethie x from a rescue, she is quite bold and outgoing but does love being stroked.

Best of luck with your new rabbit.

Last edited:
My first thoughts about the aggression are:
- hormones kicking in. Neutering will help. He's old enough at 4 months.
- space. If he's been restricted in space, he will be reactive. Nethies may be small, but they are very active and need a lot of space. Being cooped up in a hutch, for example, won't be good for him.

He sounds like a nice bunny. Most take some time to get used to people and actually come for attention.

If you are at all worried, contact your vet.

Is he vaccinated?
He would probably appreciate a (neutered) bunny companion when he's been neutered.

I think it may have been his environment as he has been totally fine since we have had him. No aggression shown to myself or my partner.

The house he lived in before had several dogs and some other animals and that along with hormones is my first thought.

I have checked him over and everything else looks fine. The eye-widening has calmed down a bit too. I think it will just take time.

Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it.

Back