• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hobbit hole project!

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Thought I'd make a thread just for my hobbit hole rather than clog up the gardening thread with loads of photos. Managed to do some proper digging today, starting to get the shape set out - and first experience of gardening under bunny supervision!! They were so much fun, coming to see what I was up to, helping with a bit of digging hereand there, and chinning to lay claim to every new pile of soil I lifted :lol:

0PkvCvzm.jpg
0sCvoCwm.jpg
qb3dInTm.jpg
jtplMSom.jpg

Last edited:
Love your "supervisors" thats a lot of digging done!

It's a fair bit, but there was already a huge hole where I'd buried the pool, so it looks more impressive than it is - still a good 2-3 hours though!! I'm starting to wonder where I'm going to put it all to store it until the roof is up though.....

Looks really interesting, and fun for the bunnies, so is this going to be a bunny play house ?

Fabulous! We wished ours had done more of the digging in our big foundation pit :lol: Can we borrow yours next time? ;P

Fabulous! We wished ours had done more of the digging in our big foundation pit :lol: Can we borrow yours next time? ;P

To be fair they were mostly rearranging the piles I had moved rather than being any constructive help, but they are good little cheerleaders!! Maybe I can hire them out....

I have to say I do love the reaction we get when we open the boot at the vets to take their crate out and hand them over in the street. Cars have literally stopped in the street to check they weren't seeing things :lol:

It's taken a few weeks due to weather and work, but the hole is finally dug out (shifted about 3t of soil the other weekend by hand!!) and I got the foundation trench dug out yesterday!! We are running really short of space for storing the soil, but yesterday half of it went into the bunny run to level off their green patch ready to seed - it's never had great turf anyway, so hopefully the Galen's Garden meadow mix with a bit of added italian rye to get them started will do well and give them a nice munching area when they can't be in the garden. Have had to fence it off for a few weeks to let it grow which they aren't impressed with (Freja checked out every nook in case he could get in!) but they'll be happy when it's grown I think.
Next step is measuring up and ordering cement and blocks!
The straight edge isn't finished yet because that'll be the next stage - though I might try and do that today if I can chuck the soil somwhere.

You've made a lot of progress with the hobbit hole! I bet it's going to look amazing when you're done. :D And I bet Odin and Freja will enjoy their green patch of the run once everything's grown. Sounds like they don't have the patience to wait for that, though. :lol:

As fellow foundation diggers, we understand the all-body workout this takes! Foundations aren't as easy as I expected :lol: But not too hard! I'm planning to try and take the formwork out again today after we failed the last couple of times. We also empathise on the dirt storage front! I dunno where we're going to move it to when we need to get it away from the house walls :S We've probably got ~1t in various bins and giant bags.

Back