• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hobbit hole project!

So, the past few days has seen foundations laid, levels marked out and then this!! Hubby makes the cement (though he didn't today as he wasn't around in time) but I've done all the block work and digging. Feeling pretty chuffed with myself right now. It's quite a feeling to build a house - albeit a tiny one - from scratch with the only mechanical help being a cement mixer!!

Had to evict Freja though who decided she could help - did not want cement getting on her paws!! She was in a right strop with me afterwards, the indignity of being picked up :evil::lol::lol:

You've been working hard! It's looking great. :love: Poor evicted Freja, though; getting picked up to be rescued from cement paws is just unacceptable! :evil::lol:

Looking great :D We haven't done anything else to our raised bed (we need to clean all the bricks before even thinking about building on the foundations!) and I haven't been able to pull the formwork out so the bit on the inside might have to stay in :S

Poor Freja! :lol:

Worked like a trooper in the sun yesterday on my day off and managed to get almost all the top level done, then dug out the ground to make space and then the trench for the front wall and got that in too - I can't finish the corners of the walls until the front was in place (we can't dig out the slope down until the roof is up as we have no more soil storage space so wasn't planning on doing the front at all at this point!)
I don't half ache today, but it was worth it to see it looking like this. Next tricky bit is finding enough metal to start building the roof frame.

ETA the eagle-eyed might be able to spot a Freja in the first picture!

You made a lot of progress! :love: And I see Freja has learned from last time and stayed some distance away this time. :lol:

Well, only on threat of expulsion if she came too close!! Had a couple of moments where we had a discussion about it but she decided to not get invoved :lol::lol: They aren't going to be happy when I start shifting the piles of soil, stacks of poo show that there are a couple of high spots that have become favourite sleeping spots, mostly later on in the day, I think they become a heatsink through the day.Hopefully their own grassy hillock will make up for it!!

Well, only on threat of expulsion if she came too close!! Had a couple of moments where we had a discussion about it but she decided to not get invoved :lol::lol: They aren't going to be happy when I start shifting the piles of soil, stacks of poo show that there are a couple of high spots that have become favourite sleeping spots, mostly later on in the day, I think they become a heatsink through the day.Hopefully their own grassy hillock will make up for it!!
Wise bunny, Freja, deciding not to get involved. :lol: Aw, their new favourite sleeping spots sound nice, but their own grassy hillock will be great, too! They'll have a new favourite sleeping spot on that hillock, I bet.

Its coming on really well. A very tidy project too. Any work here has to involve incessant mess

Oh goodness me, it is not at all tidy, I just only share the photo at the end of the day when hubby has tidied up for me :lol: My garden seems to be an eternal state of mess, I thought last year I was nearly finished and then I decided to build an underground tinyhouse.....
That plus I'm trying to keep it tidier for the rabbits' safety, because they are so inquisitive everything needs to be at least stable if they climb on it!

Another hard day's work but that's the blockwork finished!! Freja decided I really did need supervision today, and she very kindly did a site check before I started this morning too. Odin was too busy sunbathing but he did pop over to say hi.

Yay, congrats on finishing the blockwork! :D I'm glad you had Freja there to make sure everything was all right, and that was nice of Odin to abandon his sunbathing to come say hi, too. :love: I'm very curious what the hole in the corner is for. A window? A backdoor? I can't guess. :lol:

Yay, congrats on finishing the blockwork! :D I'm glad you had Freja there to make sure everything was all right, and that was nice of Odin to abandon his sunbathing to come say hi, too. :love: I'm very curious what the hole in the corner is for. A window? A backdoor? I can't guess. :lol:

All will be revealed!!! My dad reckons it's an escape tunnel into the vegetable patch...

All will be revealed!!! My dad reckons it's an escape tunnel into the vegetable patch...
I like your dad's idea. I think you should forget about your original plan and make that escape tunnel. :lol: (Just kidding. I'm looking forward to finding out what it's for. :D)

Back