• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can someone explain foraging to me please

Willow218

New Kit
I see lots of people saying they give forage foods to their bunnies. But what is foraging?

I've got a Haybox subscription for my two, half Timothy and half meadow. They have 20g of Burgess pellets each a day, and veg (if they eat it)!

I've had dandelion root which went mouldy, I've had a bag of plantain delivered today which they loved.

Where do I get forage?

What do I get?

How much do I give and do I put it in their hay bags or just chuck it in the hutch and let them get on with it!

Thanks

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Foraging in this sense generally means gathering wild foods or sometimes garden foods, rather than feeding bought foods. Forage itself (as a noun) kind of has different meaning in different situations, but in general in reference to rabbits it is weeds, wildflowers, grasses, plants other than their normal diet.
So those of us who forage (verb!) go out and gather food from the land around us, or our gardens, to supplement the hay and commercial foods - or sometimes instead of feeding commercial feed entirely. It's also great fun, a great excuse for some fresh air, and incredibly enriching not only to the diet but to the mental health of rabbits too!

But then lots of people feed dried forage, sometimes gathered themselves and dried, and sometimes bought - for me, this would be dried herbs, dried weed such as plantain, dandelions,, dried leaves such as apple, pear, bramble, beech, willow.
Oh, trees also count as forage to me, lots of edible trees and hedges around.

Forage is wild food so foraging the process of collecting it (a lovely therapeutic process too if you're able)

I collect forage spring to autumn & dry some for winter but lots of places sell it online. I started a forage thread today where everyone has listed their bunnies favourites, maybe you could start with these. Come spring we'll be able to support you to forage yourself if you like

Back