• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NEW BUNNY! Adopted from P@H - Rocky

Hi folks,

I can't believe I'm writing a new bunny post so soon after my other one - See here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?482128-Introducing-Murphy!

So, the story.

Knowing bun's are social, it was always my game plan to get a second bunny as companionship for Murphy. I didn't know how long I was going to wait but I wanted to wait for a bun to come to me. So, I had to visit my brother in Bury due to a mental breakdown and needing a break. Literally down the street from him was a pets at home which I know is a no-no to buy from. I have always been very against Pets at Home selling rabbits and the other furries but I did notice they usually had adoption centers. Originally, I had planned to rescue from an independent bunny rescue but unfortunately it didn't work out due to many conditions, waiting lists etc..
Anyway, I'm at my brother's house and I'm at my wits end. I drove past and thought, 'Hmm, I wonder if they have anything in their adoption zone' so I gave them a ring as I didn't want to go in and see the other animals if I could avoid it.
They tell me there's one rabbit in. A young English Spot buck called Rocky. I was after a boy anyway so I decided to go down and meet him.
Well, guys, you know how it goes. I show up to probably the best Pets at Home I've ever known. I'm greeted by three lovely ladies who are loving their job. They introduce me to Rocky and explain they're all very fond of him. He was given to them by a young couple with a newborn who couldn't cope. They told me they cuddled him every morning upon opening and spent the day giving him treats and love. This was apparent as he was stood at the door the whole time we were there expecting a fuss. I was taken through the whole adoption questionnaire and told them I was very wired on rabbit care - Of course, thanks to many years dipping in and out of here! :thumb:

(The kindest part was the lady dealing with me said she was over the moon she'd met someone who actually understood rabbits and knew how to care for them properly!!) :D Big headed moment there.

I complete the questionnaire and give them a little donation and then the lady gave him a cuddle before putting him in his carrier. The other two on the check-out also said there goodbyes and said they'd miss him, even asking for regular updates.

Big up Pets at Home in Bury for outstanding customer service and bunny care. Don't worry, I haven't changed my mind on Pets at Home in general. I am just pleasantly surprised.

So, I get Rocky home expecting a timid little man in a new place and he just runs around, greeting everyone in the house and expecting treats. I picked him up and he dozed on my knee for fifteen minutes before having an hour of madness in the living room. He has such a lovely personality and is very bubbly. I am over the moon to introduce him to you.

Cu2f6Zg.jpg

JUaQM8A.jpg

b2e1uYU.jpg

sLeWuX6.jpg

Also, please don't think less of me for being spontaneous and going to Pets at Home in the first place. I feel like it worked out so well in the end.

Last edited:
My first rabbit came from PAH, I would never have got a rabbit at all if it weren't for him - I just use the shop for sniffing (for my dog!) and scentwork practise :D But my local one is fantastic, the staff really put me through the mill before we were allowed to take Odin, spent an hour and a half on the day grilling us and going through everything, and that was after 2 previous visitis of 1-2hrs each just talking about him. They even went round the shop and told us all the things we shouldn't buy because they weren't good for rabbits (basically came down to fenugreek crunchies were ok, and the dried flowers!). So whilst the chain as a whole obviously has issues, individual shops and staff can be amazing I think, I get asked every time I go in now how Odin is doing, they all recognise me, and he caught all their hearts in his brief stay!
Congratulations on your new boy, he is a real beauty, looking forward to the bonding photos!

He's gorgeous, what a lucky bunny, so pleased you followed your instinct and contacted them, the staff sound lovely too :D

Good morning,
Thank you all for such lovely responses. I emailed Pets at Home this last night to tell them how fabulous the staff had been in Bury compared to my local stores and they responded saying they'd pass it on to them and thank you for letting them know. I hope they get a bonus or something. Even something simple like nice feedback can make your day. :)

Good morning,
Thank you all for such lovely responses. I emailed Pets at Home this last night to tell them how fabulous the staff had been in Bury compared to my local stores and they responded saying they'd pass it on to them and thank you for letting them know. I hope they get a bonus or something. Even something simple like nice feedback can make your day. :)

That's a nice thing to do :thumb:

Back