Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gut stasis

Default gut stasis

Walli has got gut stasis again

His pododermatitis has been worse the last couple of weeks and I have had to pick him up more often to check on his feet and treat them. I´m quite sure it is the stress of this that has caused the tummyproblems. He really hates being picked up and gets so scared

He has been medicated and we hope for the best. The problem is every time I pick him up for medication/syringefeeding he will get scared again and that will make the situation worse His tummy doesn´t tolerate critical care either (gets cecal dysbiosis immediately) so it´s not easy to know what is best.
    My veterinarian and I have decided only to syringe feed him when absolutely necessary. And as soon as he starts feeling a bit better I can usually get him to take some medication on an apple leaf.

Vibes would be appreciated!!

Sending lots of vibes. Is he on painkillers and gut meds ? Would he/ can he eat some herbs, grass, bramble or dandelion leaves? Has he had his teeth checked recently?

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of vibes for Walli. Poor boy I also would try him with some fresh herbs or forage. Sometimes if you use strong-smelling herbs and crush them, then be irritating by waving them in front of his face, he might try them. I hope he start to eat something soon.

Sending vibes for him!

Has he been tried on the Science Select Recovery food? It is very similar to critical care but I know my sister's bunny tolerated it much better than the oxbow.

Now this sounds like much hassle and it depends on what you're treating his hocks with but have you tried doing them on the floor?

With Primrose we had a couple of options, we used to put her salve on a piece of card and then make sure she stood on it when they just needed management.

Then when they needed more than that I'd sit down with her and lure her with a fenugreek crunchie with one hand and have the salve on the other one ready then while she was going for the treat I'd reach behind and do the foot I could reach and then switch hands.

She didnt always fall for it but the power of a fenugreek crunchie was immense and it reduced the amount of regular handling.

It did result in a lot of foot flicking in my direction though!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Oh, poor Walli. I hope he'll feel better soon, once the meds start doing their thing. How sad that he gets so very scared and stressed when being picked up. Casper used to be like that, though not to the point that it'd give him gut trouble. I'm sorry Walli's pododermatitis has been getting worse, too. I hope you can get that under control somehow. Sending lots and lots of vibes for Walli.

I hope Walli gets better very soon. He doesn't sound an easy bunny to treat, which must be stressful for both of you. I've found Science selective nuggets are rally easy to syringe feed (add boiling water & cool to luke warm) if they are an option. Herbs definitely worth a try

Poor Fella I really hope that he will be feeling much better soon x

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Block the building of a Rabbit Meat Farm in Cornwall
    http://chng.it/McbytJf7bP

Thank you all for your vibes and thoughts! Walli thanks his RU friends

He is a bit better tonight. Has eaten some dried plantain and started nibbling some hay!! Not at all his usual appetite though but it use to take a few days for him to be back to normal. I´m so glad he has eaten something! He doesn´t seem to be in pain so much either. And I managed to give him some medication on an apple leaf.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Walli; 26-01-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Zoobec:

Thank you! Yes, he is on metacam, novalgin, primperan and zantac. He tend to get cecal dysbiosis of anything fresh but I could try a small amount perhaps...He has now eaten some dried plantain and dandelion,

Quote Originally Posted by CarelessSquid07 View Post
    Sending vibes for him!

Has he been tried on the Science Select Recovery food? It is very similar to critical care but I know my sister's bunny tolerated it much better than the oxbow.

Now this sounds like much hassle and it depends on what you're treating his hocks with but have you tried doing them on the floor?

With Primrose we had a couple of options, we used to put her salve on a piece of card and then make sure she stood on it when they just needed management.

Then when they needed more than that I'd sit down with her and lure her with a fenugreek crunchie with one hand and have the salve on the other one ready then while she was going for the treat I'd reach behind and do the foot I could reach and then switch hands.

She didnt always fall for it but the power of a fenugreek crunchie was immense and it reduced the amount of regular handling.

It did result in a lot of foot flicking in my direction though!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Good ideas! I haven´t tried science select recovery food, I will absolutely try some. With critical care it´s hopeless. His poop looks about the same as the critical care does when I syringefeed him critical care

He is very fluffy (angora/teddydwarf) and still has some fur covering the hocks (thankfully). But if it gets more naked over the hocks (which I hope it doesn´t) then I could absolutely try and do it from the floor. Fenugreek crunchies sound irresistable