• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gut stasis

Walli

Alpha Buck
Walli has got gut stasis again :(

His pododermatitis has been worse the last couple of weeks and I have had to pick him up more often to check on his feet and treat them. I´m quite sure it is the stress of this that has caused the tummyproblems. He really hates being picked up and gets so scared :(

He has been medicated and we hope for the best. The problem is every time I pick him up for medication/syringefeeding he will get scared again and that will make the situation worse:cry: His tummy doesn´t tolerate critical care either (gets cecal dysbiosis immediately) so it´s not easy to know what is best.
My veterinarian and I have decided only to syringe feed him when absolutely necessary. And as soon as he starts feeling a bit better I can usually get him to take some medication on an apple leaf.

Vibes would be appreciated!!

Sending lots of vibes. Is he on painkillers and gut meds ? Would he/ can he eat some herbs, grass, bramble or dandelion leaves? Has he had his teeth checked recently?

Sending lots of vibes for Walli. Poor boy :( I also would try him with some fresh herbs or forage. Sometimes if you use strong-smelling herbs and crush them, then be irritating by waving them in front of his face, he might try them. I hope he start to eat something soon.

Sending vibes for him!

Has he been tried on the Science Select Recovery food? It is very similar to critical care but I know my sister's bunny tolerated it much better than the oxbow.

Now this sounds like much hassle and it depends on what you're treating his hocks with but have you tried doing them on the floor?

With Primrose we had a couple of options, we used to put her salve on a piece of card and then make sure she stood on it when they just needed management.

Then when they needed more than that I'd sit down with her and lure her with a fenugreek crunchie with one hand and have the salve on the other one ready then while she was going for the treat I'd reach behind and do the foot I could reach and then switch hands.

She didnt always fall for it but the power of a fenugreek crunchie was immense and it reduced the amount of regular handling.

It did result in a lot of foot flicking in my direction though!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Oh, poor Walli. I hope he'll feel better soon, once the meds start doing their thing. How sad that he gets so very scared and stressed when being picked up. Casper used to be like that, though not to the point that it'd give him gut trouble. I'm sorry Walli's pododermatitis has been getting worse, too. I hope you can get that under control somehow. Sending lots and lots of vibes for Walli.

I hope Walli gets better very soon. He doesn't sound an easy bunny to treat, which must be stressful for both of you. I've found Science selective nuggets are rally easy to syringe feed (add boiling water & cool to luke warm) if they are an option. Herbs definitely worth a try

Thank you all for your vibes and thoughts! Walli thanks his RU friends :)

He is a bit better tonight. Has eaten some dried plantain and started nibbling some hay!! :D Not at all his usual appetite though but it use to take a few days for him to be back to normal. I´m so glad he has eaten something! He doesn´t seem to be in pain so much either. And I managed to give him some medication on an apple leaf.

GMYICGB.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Zoobec:

Thank you! Yes, he is on metacam, novalgin, primperan and zantac. He tend to get cecal dysbiosis of anything fresh but I could try a small amount perhaps...He has now eaten some dried plantain and dandelion, :love:

Sending vibes for him!

Has he been tried on the Science Select Recovery food? It is very similar to critical care but I know my sister's bunny tolerated it much better than the oxbow.

Now this sounds like much hassle and it depends on what you're treating his hocks with but have you tried doing them on the floor?

With Primrose we had a couple of options, we used to put her salve on a piece of card and then make sure she stood on it when they just needed management.

Then when they needed more than that I'd sit down with her and lure her with a fenugreek crunchie with one hand and have the salve on the other one ready then while she was going for the treat I'd reach behind and do the foot I could reach and then switch hands.

She didnt always fall for it but the power of a fenugreek crunchie was immense and it reduced the amount of regular handling.

It did result in a lot of foot flicking in my direction though!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Good ideas! I haven´t tried science select recovery food, I will absolutely try some. With critical care it´s hopeless. His poop looks about the same as the critical care does when I syringefeed him critical care :oops:

He is very fluffy (angora/teddydwarf) and still has some fur covering the hocks (thankfully). But if it gets more naked over the hocks (which I hope it doesn´t) then I could absolutely try and do it from the floor. Fenugreek crunchies sound irresistable:D

Oh, poor Walli. I hope he'll feel better soon, once the meds start doing their thing. How sad that he gets so very scared and stressed when being picked up. Casper used to be like that, though not to the point that it'd give him gut trouble. I'm sorry Walli's pododermatitis has been getting worse, too. I hope you can get that under control somehow. Sending lots and lots of vibes for Walli.

Thank you! Did you do something special for Casper to get more used to being picked up?

Sending lots of vibes for Walli. Poor boy :( I also would try him with some fresh herbs or forage. Sometimes if you use strong-smelling herbs and crush them, then be irritating by waving them in front of his face, he might try them. I hope he start to eat something soon.

Thank you for your vibes. My OH is the one who has the role of being the irritating waver. And has succeeded with a bit of plantain and favourite hay, yay:D

I hope Walli gets better very soon. He doesn't sound an easy bunny to treat, which must be stressful for both of you. I've found Science selective nuggets are rally easy to syringe feed (add boiling water & cool to luke warm) if they are an option. Herbs definitely worth a try

I could definitely try Science selective instead of critical care, thank you.

I’m glad he’s doing a bit better, hope the meds are helping. Topping up the vibes xx

Thank you! Did you do something special for Casper to get more used to being picked up?
Actually, what I did was not pick him up unless there was really no other way. That made him feel safer with me, which made him less afraid when I did need to pick him up. So, for example, when it was time for his weekly check-up and brushing I'd lure him into a carrier or into a low-sided box, and then I'd pick him up that way, so he'd still have something solid under his feet, which was less scary for him. He won't fall for that anymore now and won't be lured into anything, so now I do have to pick him up, but I try to make it as brief as possible by putting the low-sided box on the floor and picking him up and lifting him into that, and then picking him up with the box, which, again, he finds less scary. With Walli's pododermatitis, though, I can see why you need to handle him a lot, to take care of him, but maybe you can figure out a way of doing it that doesn't involve picking him up as much? Could you maybe check his feet while he's flopped on the floor and the undersides of his feet are visible? You say he has fluffy feet, though, so maybe you won't be able to see well enough... CarelessSquid07's way of doing it sounds great. :)

Also, I'm glad he's feeling a bit better. I hope he'll continue feeling better and will soon be back to normal. Lots more vibes for him.

Back