• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Failed trio bonding - what do I do?

lionlopdad

New Kit
Bit of a sad one:
We recently adopted a third rabbit and have been trying to bond him with our existing doe/buck pair. We did all our research, weighed up the pros and cons and decided it would be worth a try. We've worked at it slowly, having housed them it adjoining pens for around a month, having already waited 6 weeks after getting the new buck neutered and housing him in a different room.

We've begun trying face-to-face meetings in the last week or so, putting some straw down in the bathtub and being on hand to split up any fights and we've been trying to take it slowly. The existing pair though, have shown very few signs of relenting their exclusion of the new boy and will bite and begin to latch-on fight him whenever he begins to sniff around them to investigate.

The main issue is the existing buck, Hudson. Part of our decision to try bonding Lex with them was that Hudson, when we adopted him, was the sweetest rabbit. We're talking butter-wouldn't-melt, jumping onto the bed to lie next to me type stuff. As soon as Lex arrived in the flat there was a change in Hudson, before they'd even laid eyes on eachother. I think Hudson could smell him. Hudson immediately began to become very territorial and possessive of Madison, the doe he is bonded with, and has generally become very withdrawn (unless he thinks he's getting food) and won't let either of us (me and my partner) touch him, particularly me, I'm guessing because I'm the one that picks him up for nail trimmings/moving to other rooms and suchlike.

Bonding sessions are becoming next to impossible, as Hudson will attack Lex on sight and also refer that aggression on to Madison, my partner or myself.

I'm at a loss with it and quite upset, as I did genuinely think that a trio bond was possible with these three considering their original temperaments. Hudson's I've already mentioned, Madison is very relaxed and loving around us and Hudson, but is very wary of Lex during bonding and will lash out (although I think that's partly influenced by Hudson's behaviour), and Lex? Well, you couldn't ask for a sweeter bunny. He has the most innocent and loving temperament I've ever seen in a rabbit and will barely even nip back when being bitten by the others. There's been occasions when he's continued to attempt to wash Madison (he's a big washer) for a good couple of seconds after she's lunged at him (I know this sounds odd, I promise I'm not exaggerating).

I'm at a point where I can't see a way forward. I don't want to rehome Hudson, I love him very much but I have to be honest with myself that there's very little visibly remaining of the boy we first adopted. He has turned into a very angry rabbit and I don't know what to do.

Any advice would be welcome. I know there's a thread on bonding trios and believe me, we've stuck to it and other advice as best we can.

Is adopting a 4th Rabbit an option, so you have two bonded pairs. It does not sound as though a trio is going to work out if you have exhausted all methods. Personally I am not a fan of trio bonds as IME there is always one Rabbit who is an outsider. Also, if the referred aggression of Hudson toward Madison when Lex is around could result in the breakdown of the bond between Hudson and Madison.

Some people may suggest trying to find an experienced Rabbit Bonder to have your Rabbits for a few weeks to try to get them together. But there is no guarantee that they won’t fall out again once they get home. Also, and this is just a personal opinion, I don’t think Rabbits should be moved to and from different households during the Covid Lock Down

Hopefully some more people will post other suggestions

Thanks for responding. We have considered a 4th, the issue there is that we live in a flat which would be more than enough space were we able to get all 4 free-roaming in the same area, but we don't have the space or resources to keep two pairs apart from eachother. Would bonding Lex with a new doe and then introducing all 4 to a shared space be possible?

You need to give up on your idea of a trio as it will be very stressful for your bonded pair and could result in sickness. I also don't think trying a quad would work either, sadly. Maybe someone of here needs a Buck so you would be able to follow his progress and would be assured he is being cared for properly. Whereabouts are you?

Back