• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating hay

Bigbunnybella

Young Bun
Since loosing my elderly doe it’s become very apparent how little my remaining rabbit Jonny eats.
He’s a good weight and body wise feels fine so he’s obviously getting enough to sustain him but he literally never touched hay. I’ve always used hay from the farm we live at but have since tried several different packaged hays.
He also won’t eat veggies or leaves. I knew the old lady was the big eater but he appears to only be interested in nuggets.
Any ideas?

It might be you need to reduce his portion of pellets, gradually. How much do you give him? It is thought they only need about a tbsp per day. How old is he?

I would get him checked over at the vets because if he’s not eating much hay he will likely need a dental.

He’s about 7 I think, he was adult when I got him from the Blue Cross.
I did check his teeth the other day having had one before who’s teeth didn’t wear properly. The fronts appeared ok to me.
He would only have been having a very small amount of pellets, however I may well be guilty of piling them in a bit since his wife died to try and make him happy 🤦*♀️ I can cut that back, I wonder if that’s why he’s just not eating hay.

He’s about 7 I think, he was adult when I got him from the Blue Cross.
I did check his teeth the other day having had one before who’s teeth didn’t wear properly. The fronts appeared ok to me.
He would only have been having a very small amount of pellets, however I may well be guilty of piling them in a bit since his wife died to try and make him happy ��*♀️ I can cut that back, I wonder if that’s why he’s just not eating hay.

I think a vet check is always good before making big changes to diet. It is hard for vets to see everything in the mouth whilst consious so, no disrespect intended, I don't think a self assessment would be reliable. Obviously hay eating is to be encouraged but some dental buns can't, rather than won't eat hay - in these circumstances cutting out pellets will leave him without anything he can eat. If you get the vet ok to do so, I'd recommend slowly reducing the pellets. Sometimes dried forage or herbs mixed in to the hay encourages them (I like to put Thyme in my bunnies hay, she loves it & eats more hay looking for it than she would ordinarily). Have you tried him on grass ?

No offence taken at all!
I’m not going to make big changes, I’ve only recently upped the hard feed, just since my doe died and I noticed more. It’s hard to know who’s eating what with two together! I know she was always the one eager for her food!
I’ve spoken this morning to the vets but with lockdown it’s emergency only and after a telephone consult they are happy he’s ok for now. He will go in as soon as we can.
Thank you!

He could be missing his friend as prey animals they feel more secure with another one. :) Also when new Bunny settles in and she likes her hay, he most probably will start eating it also. At 7 years old he is possibly set in his ways but not impossible to change. Grass is good if you can find any because if he refuses to eat this then he most likely has a problem.

He’s certainly out and about in his enclosure much more now Bella has arrived. He sits by the bars to be near her instead of hiding in his bucket (hidey hole of choice) all the time so that’s really lovely and hopeful.

Back