• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Joint Supplements

Both my bunnies take them. Tethra because he has Arthritis, is already on Metacam and has quite poor mobility now. Tui has them as well, but for her it's more as a preventative as she's a giant rabbit.

I can't say for sure whether they have improved Tethra, but I'm willing to continue as of course he could be worse without them. The tablets contain Glucosamine, which, as far as I know, is long term in its effect on the joints. I don't think it will reverse the condition, but could prevent it becoming worse. I think the pain-relieving/anti-inflammatory element in the tablets is the Turmeric.

Yucca too

Just found their reply in my spam

Hello Louise,

Thank you for contacting Oxbow Animal Health with your question. We are so glad that Oxbow's joint support supplement has benefited your bun! To answer your question, 2 tablets per day is the maximum recommended dose for this supplement for rabbits 4 lbs and greater due to the active ingredients in the product. However, we always recommend that you work with a trusted veterinarian to determine the most appropriate dosage for your individual animal.

I hope this information helps - if you have further questions please let us know as we would be happy to assist!

Best,

Mikki

I don't really understand but there you go, nothing new there

I think that's a really lazy cop out of a reply!! There is a vast difference between a 4lb rabbit and my 16-18lb buns, with Freja potentially being even more so - that 4 if not 5 times as heavy!! No way the dosage would be correct for them.

I think that's a really lazy cop out of a reply!! There is a vast difference between a 4lb rabbit and my 16-18lb buns, with Freja potentially being even more so - that 4 if not 5 times as heavy!! No way the dosage would be correct for them.

it is. I basically wrote I had an old bun I believed them to be of benefit too then explained we'd been discussing in rabbit group in relation to giants, gave the example of a giant.

I still like the product though

are there any drugs that aren't dose-weight dependant? I guess vaccinations but what else

Yes, I didn't mention that, because I don't know what it does. Is it a pain reliever or does it help the joint?

also sorts of wonderful anti inflammatory properties (plus others) apparently . I just googled it a while back

I think J&B are similar ish in age to S&C. I started them 2 months ago. Had to give it a lot of thought as I don't think I could stop when started, just in case they actually do work :lol: So I'm committed. They just have 1 tab each a day, Mouse has 2. How much do your bunnies weigh?
Yes, I think they're similar in age, too. Sophie will be 10 in April, and Casper is only a little younger. I get why you feel you won't be able to stop once you started, just in case they work. :lol: It does sound like a commitment. I'm mostly a bit worried about the cost, to be honest. I can't find them in any Dutch online store, so I'd have to get them from a Belgian store, and shipping would be as much as the product itself. Sophie is 2.2kg and Casper is 1.3kg, so would they both need one a day?

Yes, I think they're similar in age, too. Sophie will be 10 in April, and Casper is only a little younger. I get why you feel you won't be able to stop once you started, just in case they work. :lol: It does sound like a commitment. I'm mostly a bit worried about the cost, to be honest. I can't find them in any Dutch online store, so I'd have to get them from a Belgian store, and shipping would be as much as the product itself. Sophie is 2.2kg and Casper is 1.3kg, so would they both need one a day?

Thats annoying that you'd have to pay so much in shipping - it would certainly put me off. Its only a thin packet too (can be sent as a large letter rather than a parcel if that makes sense). According to the dosing guidelines under 1 llb = 1/2 tab, 1-4 llb = 1 tab, 4llb & over = 2 tabs . It looks like my conversions have been a bit off:lol: my bunnies weigh 2.4 - 2.6k but only Mouse gets 2. Thats how it will stay I think

Tiny Casper :love: Joey is 10 in April too :love: He was rescued young so his age is pretty reliable, Boo's less so as she was found "wandering" (dumped maybe)

Thats annoying that you'd have to pay so much in shipping - it would certainly put me off. Its only a thin packet too (can be sent as a large letter rather than a parcel if that makes sense). According to the dosing guidelines under 1 llb = 1/2 tab, 1-4 llb = 1 tab, 4llb & over = 2 tabs . It looks like my conversions have been a bit off:lol: my bunnies weigh 2.4 - 2.6k but only Mouse gets 2. Thats how it will stay I think

Tiny Casper :love: Joey is 10 in April too :love: He was rescued young so his age is pretty reliable, Boo's less so as she was found "wandering" (dumped maybe)
Oh, it's small enough that it could be sent in an envelope? Maybe I can find a store that would do that so the shipping wouldn't be so high... It looks like Sophie would need 2 tabs, then, but, yeah, if it's just as a preventitive I would think that just 1, like Joey and Boo get, would be fine.

Oh, Joey and Sophie are exactly the same age! :love: Sophie was born at the rescue, so I know her birthday is on the 19th. Poor Boo! What a sad thought, her wandering around outside...

Oh, it's small enough that it could be sent in an envelope? Maybe I can find a store that would do that so the shipping wouldn't be so high... It looks like Sophie would need 2 tabs, then, but, yeah, if it's just as a preventitive I would think that just 1, like Joey and Boo get, would be fine.

Oh, Joey and Sophie are exactly the same age! :love: Sophie was born at the rescue, so I know her birthday is on the 19th. Poor Boo! What a sad thought, her wandering around outside...

Just a few days difference. Joey was in a hoarder situation & rescued @ 16 weeks. That could well be a guesstimate but much closer than you normally get with rescue buns. Do you know how Sophies mum & any siblings got on?

One other downside is the tabs are apparently too hard for some bunnies (I read so many reviews:lol:)

Well Oxbow emailed me with a feedback link so I ignored that & took the opportunity to pester them some more

Hi Mikki,

Thank You for your email & thank you for the reply to my query. It went in to my spam folder so I was slow to pick it up. To be honest I still don't understand why the joint support tablets dosing table is weight dependant but only up to 4 pounds. If you could shed further light on this that would be very much appreciated. Does it relate to any specific ingredient?

I did ask my trusted & very savvy rabbit vet her view on these. Whereas she was happy for me to administer them & was open to the potential of them helping I don't think she could advocate their use or even recommend dosing without having lots of scientific data to back it up. I've shared my anecodotal experience with her that I think they help

Best wishes

Just a few days difference. Joey was in a hoarder situation & rescued @ 16 weeks. That could well be a guesstimate but much closer than you normally get with rescue buns. Do you know how Sophies mum & any siblings got on?

One other downside is the tabs are apparently too hard for some bunnies (I read so many reviews:lol:)
Yes, that's much closer than you usually get! All they knew about Casper's age when I adopted him was that he was around 3 or 4 years old, so for my convenience I decided he was 3.5 years old when I adopted him in April 2015, so he'll be about 9.5 this April. I don't know what happened with Sophie's mum and siblings, no. I'd like to know, but the only thing I know is that Sophie's mum had already found a new home when I adopted Sophie. Several of her siblings were still at the rescue then, and the rescue closed shortly after that and at that point all the bunnies had been adopted, so I assume they all found a good home.

Are they about as hard as the fenugreek crunchies? I thought those were pretty hard, but Sophie ate them just fine.

Well Oxbow emailed me with a feedback link so I ignored that & took the opportunity to pester them some more

Hi Mikki,

Thank You for your email & thank you for the reply to my query. It went in to my spam folder so I was slow to pick it up. To be honest I still don't understand why the joint support tablets dosing table is weight dependant but only up to 4 pounds. If you could shed further light on this that would be very much appreciated. Does it relate to any specific ingredient?

I did ask my trusted & very savvy rabbit vet her view on these. Whereas she was happy for me to administer them & was open to the potential of them helping I don't think she could advocate their use or even recommend dosing without having lots of scientific data to back it up. I've shared my anecodotal experience with her that I think they help

Best wishes
That's a good email. :thumb: Hopefully they'll have a more useful answer this time.

Yes, that's much closer than you usually get! All they knew about Casper's age when I adopted him was that he was around 3 or 4 years old, so for my convenience I decided he was 3.5 years old when I adopted him in April 2015, so he'll be about 9.5 this April. I don't know what happened with Sophie's mum and siblings, no. I'd like to know, but the only thing I know is that Sophie's mum had already found a new home when I adopted Sophie. Several of her siblings were still at the rescue then, and the rescue closed shortly after that and at that point all the bunnies had been adopted, so I assume they all found a good home.

Are they about as hard as the fenugreek crunchies? I thought those were pretty hard, but Sophie ate them just fine.

That's a good email. :thumb: Hopefully they'll have a more useful answer this time.

thanks

aww that nice to think her whole family went to nice forever homes - I hope so. We don't do fenugrek crunchies here (well I do a homemade version) but the JS tabs are hard, I struggle to break them. Mouse often needs hers softening (brief soak in water) but J&B manage fine

I like this reply better

Thanks for following up! The main active ingredient in our Joint support tablets is glucosamine, which can cause gastrointestinal upset and other concerns when fed in too high of quantities (see below visual for summarization of the active ingredients in the product). Therefore, our general feeding recommendations cannot exponentially increase with weight in our small herbivore species. However, as I mentioned in my initial email, your trusted vet is the best one to make specific recommendations for your little one based on her intimate knowledge of her specific needs and conditions as our guidelines are just that – guidelines. As with any supplement, these products are not meant to “cure” or “treat” illnesses and conditions, but are rather intended to support or aid in management of certain conditions. If your veterinarian would like to learn more about our supplements, please have her contact us directly and we would be happy to put her in contact with our veterinary team to learn more.

thanks

aww that nice to think her whole family went to nice forever homes - I hope so. We don't do fenugrek crunchies here (well I do a homemade version) but the JS tabs are hard, I struggle to break them. Mouse often needs hers softening (brief soak in water) but J&B manage fine
Hmm, I think Sophie and Casper would be okay with something hard, if I decide to get them the joint stuff...

Also, that email you got back this time seems more helpful, though it's still a bit vague. I hope you can find the table you downloaded. :lol: Is it not in your Downloads folder? Maybe download it again and see if it says where it's saving it to? Or use the search function on your device to look for it?

Back