• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fast breathing/odd posture: UD 22/3 Gone to the Bridge

Just been catching up on Bigwig as not been on here due to illness. Sorry to read she has gone downhill. Really hope she improves with help from vet

Sending you vibes and nose bumps from Mr Chief [emoji175]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that Bigwog is struggling again.

Sending vibes from me and kisses from Rodney and Blosssom x

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thanks all X

I called the exotic vets and they've advised I continue frusol which we was due to finish after 14 days, so she's still on all 3 meds and take her to our regular vets Monday morning to start penicillin injections. I've been advised to ask the regular vets to call them so the exotic vet can let them know the dose/plan, I'm.hoping we'll be allowed to do the injections at home. She's gone down to 1.55kg :(

Aw bless her. She will put on the weight when she is better. Mischief was skin and bone and I got scared to stroke him as thought I may hurt him!

Now he is being a little piggy and we have to watch he doesn't eat too much!! I have faith that she will get better and gain weight once breathing is under control [emoji178]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you, that's reassuring that he's doing so well now :)

Her breathing is fast but no abdominal effort like before, but then since yesterday she's been sitting with her head raised. She's eating no hay, not even the alfalfa or ready grass. She's keen for it and as with her pellets runs over and will eat a few but then leave them. She's passing a lot of faeces but they're tiny. I'm thinking of cutting hay up and making some sort of wetter food mix with recovery and leave it on a dish for her perhaps. She's eating veg no problem but her breathing is at its worst when eating.

Thank you, that's reassuring that he's doing so well now :)

Her breathing is fast but no abdominal effort like before, but then since yesterday she's been sitting with her head raised. She's eating no hay, not even the alfalfa or ready grass. She's keen for it and as with her pellets runs over and will eat a few but then leave them. She's passing a lot of faeces but they're tiny. I'm thinking of cutting hay up and making some sort of wetter food mix with recovery and leave it on a dish for her perhaps. She's eating veg no problem but her breathing is at its worst when eating.

Would she eat from a raised feeder ?

I´m sorry to hear she is worse again :(
I hope the injectable antibiotics works better. Lots of vibes!

Thank you X

Raised could be a good idea, I'll give that a try. I'm worrying as there's been some miscommunication between the exotic referral and regular practice, basically when I called the regular vets on Monday to say the plan had changed to penicillin injections we were booked in for today so they could speak with the exotic vets and order in what they suggest. I also asked if the probiotic was in and if I could collect that asap and was told yes it's on her account. My partner took her to the appt but the vet called me, unaware of the change of plan/penicillin hadn't been ordered. All they had in was amoxicillin so she's had that today and due it Thursday and Saturday, in the meantime will confirm with the exotic vet the full plan. Probiotic hadn't even been ordered in, I could've sourced some myself by now if I'd have known but they're ordering it in for tomorrow but I'm also going to source my own just incase. Now I'm worrying that I agreed to amoxicillin injection instead of what I would've preferred, depocillin, and she's on no probiotics :(

Oh no that sucks. Sending more get well vibes for her x

Which probiotic is she needing?

I find some of the online sites are much better for sourcing those and some do next day delivery.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thanks x

I was holding off ordering as my regular vets advised they'd get/got some which I thought would be quicker but then it turns out it hasn't actually been ordered. The exotic referral recommend Fibreplex or Pro C. I can get Pro-fibre or Bio lapis sachets from work next day delivery so I've put an order in for those as thought better than nothing.

So Bigwig is actually more active today and is nibbling hay :) I've got Fibreplex and Pro-Fibre Rabbit. I think we're going to arrange a CT for a few weeks if she's not showing a big improvement rather than re X ray.

So Bigwig is actually more active today and is nibbling hay :) I've got Fibreplex and Pro-Fibre Rabbit. I think we're going to arrange a CT for a few weeks if she's not showing a big improvement rather than re X ray.

That sounds like a good plan. I really hope that with the addition of Penicillin she will improve x

Thank you :) I'm getting really anxious she's not really improving and having a lot of bad days so feel better knowing she'll get a good check up with CT rather than keep going hoping to see an improvement.

Then this morning Jasmine (kept separate and we're really careful going between them) has crusty discharge from her eyes, bunnies are really stressful!

Thank you :) I'm getting really anxious she's not really improving and having a lot of bad days so feel better knowing she'll get a good check up with CT rather than keep going hoping to see an improvement.

Then this morning Jasmine (kept separate and we're really careful going between them) has crusty discharge from her eyes, bunnies are really stressful!

Get Rabbits they said, they will help reduce your stress and anxiety they said..........

Get Rabbits they said, they will help reduce your stress and anxiety they said..........

:lol: I do get really stressed when they're not right.

My partner is really attached to Bigwig but seems to be doing better than me, he spends all day with her working from home atm and I'm off today and I see she sits next to his feet nudging them until he strokes her with his foot and she will give a little nip if it stops. Apparently she does this most of the day :lol:

Back