• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fast breathing/odd posture: UD 22/3 Gone to the Bridge

Thank you, again sorry for quick reply. I've still not heard anything. They can't do the CT today I'm.afraid as it comes in a van twice a week they don't have a permanent scanner, it would be full body. The vet advised he's confident we'll get a good answer from the lung wash if we chose to do it

So actually she's had the lung wash! I think we miss understood each other slightly, I thought I'd get a call but the vet thought I'd given permission this morning if he felt she was well enough to go ahead and it was of benefit. Which is fine I'm happy it's been done and she's been in recovery for an hour, is doing well and has been syringe fed. Skull X rays were normal, heart scan all.normal which is good news. The vet also looked up her nose with a camera and took a deep nasal swab as he was surprised to see white discharge there so that and the lung wash are being sent for histology. She'll be coming home with frusemide, metacam and baytril since she was better on it and vet doesn't think it's worth changing until we have the results. Fingers crossed she can get through this :love:

Sending vibes for her!

I guess he thought she was tolerating the anesthetic well so went for it. It's good that she's done well with that.

Hopefully she has a quick recovery from today's visit and the meds help her until they have a more personalised plan for her.

Rodney sends kisses xx

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Oh Liz, so sorry to read your latest updates about Bigwig, but glad she has had the lung wash, at least it should give you answers. Hope she makes a good recovery from today, and that the meds help. The referral vet sounds really good, always a bonus ! Sending loads of vibes for your girlie xx

So actually she's had the lung wash! I think we miss understood each other slightly, I thought I'd get a call but the vet thought I'd given permission this morning if he felt she was well enough to go ahead and it was of benefit. Which is fine I'm happy it's been done and she's been in recovery for an hour, is doing well and has been syringe fed. Skull X rays were normal, heart scan all.normal which is good news. The vet also looked up her nose with a camera and took a deep nasal swab as he was surprised to see white discharge there so that and the lung wash are being sent for histology. She'll be coming home with frusemide, metacam and baytril since she was better on it and vet doesn't think it's worth changing until we have the results. Fingers crossed she can get through this :love:

I am still cautiously optimistic that the mass is an abscess. Sending lots of vibes for a good recovery from the procedure x

So pleased she has had the lung wash and X-ray/scan already. In the end you didn't have to make the difficult decision on whether to do lung wash and it must be a relief that it's done.

Really hope she does well in recovery and you can take her home soon! You have had a really stressful day haven't you! xx

It's weird that vet found white discharge in her nasal passages. What did he think that was caused by? Could she maybe have an infection?

Fingers crossed that you hear back good news. I've been sitting here checking my phone all day and worrying for poor little Bigwig. She is a little soldier though from sounds of everything you said.

Sending you vibes and nose bumps from Mr Chief for Bigwig and yourself [emoji175][emoji175]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone who has wished Bigwig well :love:

She's back home, I've had her in her crate for a couple of hours incase she wanted to go off and sit somewhere away from her food/water and so far she's eating hay and veg.

The vet said he was surprised about the nasal discharge as there's none externally and I haven't noticed any at all, could be caused by an infection so we'll see what the swan results are

Things did sound more positive on discharge.

My partner wants to contact our original vets about the missed lump on the X ray, the vet showed me the X ray they did and it's clearly a bright white circle which he said obviously should not be there and her breathing is poor whereas every time we took her to her regular vets they said breathing fine. We also kept having to ask for medication and take her back several times to get any, was just getting one off injections for 3 days then following the X ray was told it's not needed. :( I don't necessarily want to complain, I appreciate rabbits are tricky and I don't want to upset the vet but I do feel disappointed her breathing was never acknowledged and the lump was missed??

I'm so glad it went well:D Your new vet sounds very thorough and good. Lots of vibes for Bigwig!! I hope it is an abscess!

Thank you everyone who has wished Bigwig well :love:

She's back home, I've had her in her crate for a couple of hours incase she wanted to go off and sit somewhere away from her food/water and so far she's eating hay and veg.

The vet said he was surprised about the nasal discharge as there's none externally and I haven't noticed any at all, could be caused by an infection so we'll see what the swan results are

Things did sound more positive on discharge.

My partner wants to contact our original vets about the missed lump on the X ray, the vet showed me the X ray they did and it's clearly a bright white circle which he said obviously should not be there and her breathing is poor whereas every time we took her to her regular vets they said breathing fine. We also kept having to ask for medication and take her back several times to get any, was just getting one off injections for 3 days then following the X ray was told it's not needed. :( I don't necessarily want to complain, I appreciate rabbits are tricky and I don't want to upset the vet but I do feel disappointed her breathing was never acknowledged and the lump was missed??

I would certainly let them know. They made a mistake, they are human. It is now important that they learn from their mistake. Sending more vibes for Bigwig x

It is very unfortunate the white area on her X-ray was missed and if it is quite noticeable then I do think you could speak to them about that.

As far as them giving meds out I found that I had a similar problem and think vets are reluctant to give them due to rabbits being so sensitive. It is really good news that you now have a rabbit savvy vet you feel confident with moving forward with Bigwig's care from now on.

It's good news that Bigwig is home and eating/drinking fine. I hope she continues to do well bless her.

When do you get results back from vets? Really hope it is good news and is an abscess or something that can be treated. Fingers crossed til then for little Bigwig!

Topping up vibes and Mr Chief sends little kisses to Bigwig [emoji178]

Thank you all :) She's doing well. I'm to ring in 7 days if I don't hear sooner about the results.

I called our regular vets to let them know but sadly the receptionist got quite defensive, saying they're like a GP and it's why they refer. But not quite true, we had to ask for the referral several times and had 3 visits with no medication to go home with and therefore had to keep calling to ask for it, to be told it wasn't needed. Every time I mentioned her breathing was told it's normal etc but oh well.

Thank you all :) She's doing well. I'm to ring in 7 days if I don't hear sooner about the results.

I called our regular vets to let them know but sadly the receptionist got quite defensive, saying they're like a GP and it's why they refer. But not quite true, we had to ask for the referral several times and had 3 visits with no medication to go home with and therefore had to keep calling to ask for it, to be told it wasn't needed. Every time I mentioned her breathing was told it's normal etc but oh well.

I’m glad she is doing well :love:

I think I would write to the practice manager, if I was in your situation.

I’d put your concerns in writing to the Head Vet

Glad to hear that Bigwig is doing well x

Thank you, yeah I wasn't going to write but will now as my call wasn't met very well. I will probably do it over the weekend, see if the vet might call me if she sees Bigwigs' diagnosis if the receptionist passes it on. The main thing is Bigwig has got help now and we have a plan in place for her but it has knocked my confidence in the regular vets.

I know what you mean in the end we changed vets after a few bits like this.

We had a lovely vet who was wonderful but it was never guaranteed we would get her for the appointment or that she would be consulted if it wasn't her and then she moved to another town with the same practice and it wasnt the same.

They were all lovely and I felt bad but they really struggled with Rodney and Primrose's issues. Great for the crisis point but not for helping us preventing more. It took 4 bouts of stasis for them to check Primrose's teeth and I wasnt very clued up back then.

We're now registered with the referral vet which is more expensive and further away and I do miss the 5 min drive more than I can say but the reassurance of having someone listen and agree that things aren't right straight away and look for a cause rather than treat the symptoms has been amazing.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear she is doing well! I hope the results come back soon! I agree with the others I would also write to the manager.

Vets are humans and make mistakes, but it’s our loved ones lives that are at stake from these mistakes. If I missed something, I’d like to know about it so I can learn from that mistake...

I hope that you get speedy results and your Bigwig is doing okay x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear she is doing well.
I hope you get some acknowledgement from the original vet that they missed the X-ray prognosis from your letter at least.

Sending vibes and nose bumps from Mr Chief [emoji175]

Back