• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting My Baby Boy Neutered

(Sorry this is so long I love talking about my boy)

Hey all,

I'm new. My name is Raelinn and I have had my little guy Gustavo (Gus for short) since he was a baby (now 7 months old). I impulse bought him from a breeder off Craigstlist, and Gus has been the best mistake ever! I didnt know much when I got him but after trials and tribulations we are all very happy and he is very spoiled! Free-roam and all!

Anyways, one reason why I still sometimes refer to him as a mistake is that I have always been tight on money. I got him when I was living with my parent right after my 18th birthday and now that I have my own apartment and bills to pay; its tough starting out. Thankfully I am in a semi-okay position, which is why I have been considering getting Gus a wifebun, which led me to getting him neutered. Unfortunately, where I live, it is VERY expensive and I've had a hard time deciding who is the best for my baby. By expensive I'm talking $220-$300 for the surgery, $55 for exam, $120 for X-Ray (optional) and $100 for bloodwork (also optional). I made him an appointment with this vet who seems really good, receptionist answered all my questions and said they spay/neuter bunnies like once a week and don't usually have any casualties. Their vet has a degree in small mammal/exotic pet care, it seems pretty alright.

But.

Gus is my little baby boy who I love to the moon and back. He is everything to me; which is why I spoil him rotten and try to give him what he deserves; the best of the best. I am absolutely petrified for him to go under, especially after reading horror stories of dropping a bun off and never seeing him again. I just can't even fathom the idea. It makes sense to do any possible test beforehand; but its very expensive. I guess what I am getting at here is, should I spend all that money getting X-Rays and bloodwork done ontop of a full exam before surgery? My significant other thinks X-Rays are a bit much but I've always liked Gus just a little more than them so I dont know.

Gus is so lonely, though. I come downstairs at night and find him just sitting and staring off into the void looking so, so sad. I know the last step is getting him a friend. Although of course I want more bunnies now that I truly understand bunny ownership, I ultimately want to do what is best for Gus. I want him to live a long, happy, and healthy life.

Just some background; the breeder I got him from (won't be getting wifebun from a breeder, I know more now than I did then) kept his bunnies in iffy conditions. Large hutch outside, tons of them huddled together, not enough space to binky, and no greens. He had flemishs in a weird chicken coop/bunny run thing way too tiny for them. He said Gus had been checked by a vet; but then couldn't recommend a rabbit savvy vet in the area. For all I know, Gus may have never seen a vet in his life, which makes me lean more towards X-Rays and bloodwork.

Anyways, any advice/successful neutering stories welcome and appreciated!
6b44cecfae1b6afb768ebc6ba502c1fd.jpg
85b065689954ea630fe90d8ab309c24d.jpg

He is adorable :love: it’s extremely rare to lose a bunny under anaesthetic, for a boy the op is less invasive so less risky, although there is always a small risk. The vet should be able to give him a good check up to make sure he is healthy before his operation. Obviously if you have the blood tests done that gives more of a reassurance that everything is ok with him. I know it’s a worry having any operation done though!

He is beautiful!

I understand your concerns about the neuter. I think pretty much all of us have had the same worries when we've had to send ours off for a neuter.

Unfortunately there's no guarantee that the worst won't happen, just by the nature of having to undergo a GA. The best you can do is mitigate the risk. You've already done an important one in sourcing a rabbit savvy and experienced vet.

I did have a chat with a vet once about bunnies and GAs. She said that usually when a bunny passes away under anaesthetic it's because of an underlying, undetected health issue. So I would give serious consideration to having a full health check and diagnostics beforehand just to give yourself some reassurance before he has the neuter.

Last edited:
I recently had my Zoro neutered -no bloods or x rays. Zorro was given pain meds for five days, so be sure to get those -rabbits hide pain.
I was worried, yet he is young and healthy and did awesome. Neuter may also keep Gus from marking territory or being hormonal.
I would neuter and may do bloods since you are so attached to Gus.
He is very cute!

Last edited:
If he's a young rabbit with no symptoms and a good diet I personally wouldn't bother with the x-rays (I'd only really be inclined to check up on teeth, but if external exam of the mouth shows his teeth are fine I'd accept that). Bloods are a good thing imo, just in case something shows up.

Back