• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re: some help re wife bun for Leo

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Re: some help re wife bun for Leo

Whilst I am still very much still grieving over the sudden loss of Lillian, it’s important that we can allow Leo to move on and have rabbit companionship again for his own emotional and physical well-being. So I need to put my feelings aside as best I can and try to look forward for leo.
Obviously it’s a bit tricky with covid and many places are restricting how far one can travel but we have found a rescue centre called PACT in Norfolk - just over an hour away.
They have 3 does which we’ve looked at on the site - carrots, cottontail and flopsey and although younger than Leo, all seem to have the temprement and qualities we feel would support Leo.
Would you please like to share your views for me please on the bunnies.
All 3 are little sweethearts and I’d have all if I could, but we can only accommodate one abd id just like your unbiased views please.
Out of the three, one is calling to me but I’ll let you know which one that is.
Thank you all
Craig x

It really shows how much you care about Leo that you're looking for a friend for him while you're still grieving Lillian's loss so deeply. I looked the bunnies up on the website, and, aw, all three sound very sweet, like you said. Would you take Leo with you to the rescue? If so, I'd go with the bunny Leo likes best.

I know it's so hard to start considering this before you feel ready but knowing that it's what Leo needs.

They all look lovely but Carrots looks like she might help Leo feel a little less lost and distract him with her antics.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It's difficult as Carrots is the one who has the most written about her so, to me, she seems the most 'real'. I think any of them would be a good wife for Leo and whoever you choose will be an incredibly lucky bunny as you have such a wonderful home. It sounds like Carrot has had a home that wasn't so great and would really appreciate the space that she would have with you but that could be the case with the other two, we just haven't been made aware of that.

So, I've been no help at all - sorry :oops:

Now - here’s the thing - and you are not going to believe me but this is true.
I said I would say which bunny I felt I was leaning towards but I was/am wary because it then implies the other 2 aren’t suitable - which is certainly not the case.
But when I looked at those bunnies, carrots was the one that lept out at me. I don’t know why that is the case - maybe it is because she has the most written but also I feel quite emotional about her background - small cage etc.
And so far she seems to have captured others above. Which is quite fascinating given we’re all from different backgrounds but for whatever reason we are drawn towards very similar views.
Thank you for taking the time to look at those rabbits and responding.
I shall update as we go along.
What I would add is that if we were fortunate enough, I feel I would wish to change the name - not something I’ve ever done before.
Thank you all again
Craig xx

I think as Rhianna has said, Carrots is the one who has the most written about her and so I think that's the reason that people feel drawn more towards her. Perhaps you should ask for more details about the other two and then you would be sort of comparing like with like.

I would try to consider health implications and perhaps as someone not emotionally involved I can think of that. I would try to select a rabbit who is a good hay eater, so that Leo can perhaps be persuaded to copy. If Carrots has had a poor diet she might have issues because of that, particularly teeth as she is a lop. Also being in a small cage, she might develop Arthritis earlier. Not trying to look on the negative side, but I know when you are looking for a new bunny, it's sometimes easy to not consider such things.

I don't know whether you want another lop, but I had a look at the Eastwood site (Wendy) and they have Cybil, an uppy-eared bunny :love:

It really shows how much you care about Leo that you're looking for a friend for him while you're still grieving Lillian's loss so deeply. I looked the bunnies up on the website, and, aw, all three sound very sweet, like you said. Would you take Leo with you to the rescue? If so, I'd go with the bunny Leo likes best.

its really nice to hear someone other than me suggesting this:lol: I am a huge fan

I agree with what others have said, maybe let Leo have the choice, if that's possible. Good luck Craig, you have such a big heart xxx

I'd agree with letting Leo choose as far as possible - but I also like the points made to choose a bunny with good habits and hopefully good health especially given the last couple of years. Whilst heart strings tug, it would be good for you to perhaps have a lull in health issues for a while, to be able to enjoy bunnies just being bunnies without needing the constant hypervigilance you have given Lillian.
But ultimately Leo is the important one, so I'd see if the rescue will let him meet each of them and see who he takes the most fancy to. Lopsy seems to be a more confident bunny, I wonder if Leo would prefer that?

On the name change I think you'll be fine.

Rodney and Blossom had both had names changes just before they came to us due to having multiples with the same name at the rescues and have learned them really quickly.

And Primrose knew all her nicknames incredibly well, she was such a quick girl. Just a few name games with a treat and she learnt it.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

They are all gorgeous, I agree with what others have said.:love: Carrots must be confident and outgoing if the previous owner’s dog was scared of her! I think I would call them and ask what they think, and what procedure is at the moment as I don’t think some rescues are doing visits atm with COVID.

I took one look at the pics and fell in love with Carrots. What a little beauty. Something so shiney and bright about her. A lovely energy.

Also Laurel ahhhhh what a sweetie. Love him.

Ditto, Dakota also Berry and Betsy. So much cuteness!!! I love guinea pigs.

Last edited:
I have let one of my buns choose his own partner but only once as I have tended to rescue from BARC and it's such a long journey it's not practical. Angie is awesome with choosing rabbits with personalities that bond well and has never got it wrong with any of mine. If Leo doesn't travel well it may stress him out too much to take him to a rescue for speed dating. Not sure if rescues would allow that now with Covid.

It is a worry though as if bunnies don't bond there is then the question of what happens next. So sad to have to take a bunny back to rescue. I had eleven bunnies at one point as I took on a bunny I had tried to bond for someone who wouldn't bond and I didn't have the heart to see him returned so the rescue agreed I could bond him with mine.

I like Carrots too :love:

I have let one of my buns choose his own partner but only once as I have tended to rescue from BARC and it's such a long journey it's not practical. Angie is awesome with choosing rabbits with personalities that bond well and has never got it wrong with any of mine. If Leo doesn't travel well it may stress him out too much to take him to a rescue for speed dating. Not sure if rescues would allow that now with Covid.

It is a worry though as if bunnies don't bond there is then the question of what happens next. So sad to have to take a bunny back to rescue. I had eleven bunnies at one point as I took on a bunny I had tried to bond for someone who wouldn't bond and I didn't have the heart to see him returned so the rescue agreed I could bond him with mine.

I like Carrots too :love:

Definitely agree with this :love:

I would say Cottontail would be a good match for Leo. Carrots looks older and is a little overweight.

Again - I thank you each and every one for your considerate and thoughtful comments. Much of what you have advised is already stuff I was contemplating anyway.
Regarding taking Leo anywhere, I absolutely wholeheartidly support this view that Leo should chose as this is important for his life, his wellbeing. And getting that blend right is absolutely vital. So I agree with those views. The only issue I have is that any travel can stress out a rabbit and in this case, the drive to PACT for us would be an hour 20 each way so for Leo we're talking almost 3 hours round trip which is not really what I want to put him through. I also believe that PACT actually bring the bunny to the prospective home which is a very nice way to do things. This would alleviate that problem of travel but would not allow Leo to see other potential bunnies so in that instant, we therefore need to rely on gut and to the advice of those at the rescue centre. It would the worse of all worlds if Leo was then stressed by the experience when we are looking to bring some sense of nromality back to his life. My one big worry is always that 'do we return the bunny or not' scenario. I would hate to have to concede to a bond not working so for Leo (and us) it's important to get it right, or as right as we can.
We know what Leo is like, and we know that he has changed from the rabbit we got last February, to when he bonded with Lillian, to how he is now. He is a people rabbit, loves human attention, but he is also extremely wary and instant noises spook the hecks out of him. So he needs some bun who is confident, but also one who is not aggressive, one with similar traits. One who isn't a food hog, but who isn't shy either. And we must also consider jealousy. So both would need to be as an equal.
One slight advantage we have is that Leo isn't totally dominant and so we have a bit more neutal type areas to work with.
And from my own view, I feel it is essential that we give our home to a rabbit who absolutely deserves that second chance. It's not that they all don't - if I had my way I would open up our garden to all the bunnies I could. I really do. It's just that I feel that rabbits who have had a not so postive start in life need to have the second chance as best we can give. A bit like Lillian who was starved before we got her. Poor little Lillian - I just don't get why people would do that, but that's me. There's alot I struggle to understand.
My wife has sent off interest for all 3 of the bunnies at PACT so we will just have to sit tight and see what happens. As I said at the very start, I am still very much grieving from the loss of Lillian, and she very much dominates my thoughts and I still have much guilt that cannot be erased. I have to dig deep - really really deep in order to move on, and I feel a sense of disrespect for Lillian by trying to do so. But it is for Leo that we must do this - to make him feel safer and give him that special sense of having a companion that he can be with when he wants, and to play with and be comfortable with.
Thank you all so much again - I really am grateful for your open and honest views. It's what make you all really special people.
Craig xx

I took one look at the pics and fell in love with Carrots. What a little beauty. Something so shiney and bright about her. A lovely energy.

Also Laurel ahhhhh what a sweetie. Love him.

I liked Laurel, but I think my favourite was Chester. However, Craig was asking about a doe, and I think Carrots is the pick of the girlies

Again - I thank you each and every one for your considerate and thoughtful comments. Much of what you have advised is already stuff I was contemplating anyway.
Regarding taking Leo anywhere, I absolutely wholeheartidly support this view that Leo should chose as this is important for his life, his wellbeing. And getting that blend right is absolutely vital. So I agree with those views. The only issue I have is that any travel can stress out a rabbit and in this case, the drive to PACT for us would be an hour 20 each way so for Leo we're talking almost 3 hours round trip which is not really what I want to put him through. I also believe that PACT actually bring the bunny to the prospective home which is a very nice way to do things. This would alleviate that problem of travel but would not allow Leo to see other potential bunnies so in that instant, we therefore need to rely on gut and to the advice of those at the rescue centre. It would the worse of all worlds if Leo was then stressed by the experience when we are looking to bring some sense of nromality back to his life. My one big worry is always that 'do we return the bunny or not' scenario. I would hate to have to concede to a bond not working so for Leo (and us) it's important to get it right, or as right as we can.
We know what Leo is like, and we know that he has changed from the rabbit we got last February, to when he bonded with Lillian, to how he is now. He is a people rabbit, loves human attention, but he is also extremely wary and instant noises spook the hecks out of him. So he needs some bun who is confident, but also one who is not aggressive, one with similar traits. One who isn't a food hog, but who isn't shy either. And we must also consider jealousy. So both would need to be as an equal.
One slight advantage we have is that Leo isn't totally dominant and so we have a bit more neutal type areas to work with.
And from my own view, I feel it is essential that we give our home to a rabbit who absolutely deserves that second chance. It's not that they all don't - if I had my way I would open up our garden to all the bunnies I could. I really do. It's just that I feel that rabbits who have had a not so postive start in life need to have the second chance as best we can give. A bit like Lillian who was starved before we got her. Poor little Lillian - I just don't get why people would do that, but that's me. There's alot I struggle to understand.
My wife has sent off interest for all 3 of the bunnies at PACT so we will just have to sit tight and see what happens. As I said at the very start, I am still very much grieving from the loss of Lillian, and she very much dominates my thoughts and I still have much guilt that cannot be erased. I have to dig deep - really really deep in order to move on, and I feel a sense of disrespect for Lillian by trying to do so. But it is for Leo that we must do this - to make him feel safer and give him that special sense of having a companion that he can be with when he wants, and to play with and be comfortable with.
Thank you all so much again - I really am grateful for your open and honest views. It's what make you all really special people.
Craig xx

I remember well that sense of guilt, betrayal, the feeling that by getting another you were forgetting and moving on when in fact it is the very last thing you want to do. The only thing that go m through that was knowing there was a space in my house that could take a (in this case) dog out of rescue, give him a warm bed in front of the fire instead of a kennel, give him good food, nice walks, gentle hands, and the special experience of his needs. And I couldn't leave a dog when that space existed, even if it was not time for me.
In this case you also have a Leo to consider, so please, when you feel that guilt and betrayal, just say thank you to Lillian for giving her space to another in need, and for teaching Leo so well that he can maybe cope better with his next bond, and for teaching you all she did. And then take those lessons and that love, and show another the life they deserve, use the little space Lillian has given them, and one day you will feel easier with it. None of this takes away your love for Lillian, none of it. It simply expresses it even more.

Back