• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor housing for 2 bunnies

bunnyman14

New Kit
Hey, so I'm currently living in a rented flat and I am looking into rescuing a bunny or 2, I know rabbits are really social, so I would prefer 2 but wouldn't mind rescuing a single bun who might not be able to be bonded, regardless I wanna have everything set up and ready for when they arrive, and I'd prefer to have them free roam the living room and kitchen, would a 4X2 (panels are 60cm wide and 107cm high) is that big enough for 2 rabbits??

my furniture blocks most of the carpet corners and all my wires are hidden (cus of my OCD anyway) and I could block off the gap under my sofa, anything I should keep in mind?? would it be safe to let them have free roam when I'm not there??

any advice would be great! thanks!!

I think you will find using four two foot (60cm) panels would be much too small for a rabbit (apologies if I have misunderstood what you are using)
Have you looked at the RWAF website for their recommendations
Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

My rabbits were totally freeranging and now my Daughter has a rabbit and he too is freerange.

Anything chewable should be put well out of range or covered. My Daughters bunny also has a bad habit of weeing on the sofa, but he is only young and unneutered.

Seeing bunnies totally free is amazing. They love running and jumping and just being bunnies!

My indoor pair of rabbits have most of a room to themselves. They need a minimum of 10 foot by 6 foot. The bigger the better as they love to run and jump.

Thanks for the tips guys, So which X-pens would you recommend, for at least 2 bunnies (just in case I get 2 or if I only get 1 then they have even more room than the minimum requirement) just to use as a base cage and for when they're new and until they're litter trained and use as a base cage only

thanks guys :)

X pens can be useful, but often flimsy with bendable bars and a risk of head entrapment if the bars are too wide. You can attach mesh to most with cable ties to prevent this. I think it depends on if you are going to use them permanently or temporarily and if you will want to fold them away. Wooden/Perspex panels can be made or purchased, and I have seen much heavier duty puppy pens available too, I think a member on here has one.

Due to the risk of a rabbit trapping their head, the rescue we got Rudy from wanted the puppy panels meshed, so you may want to bear this in mind if you went this route.

Back