• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dennis isn’t eating

I’m giving Denny a chance to see if he comes round but I feel like I don’t want this to go on much longer. He is totally wet underneath and on his feet, he can hardly move, and my boy I feel has had enough :cry: I’ve contacted a few places to see if they can come and pts at home but apparently the RVC has said no due to covid :cry: it’s just not want I want for my lad and only one of us is only allowed in. It’s such an awful time :cry: you all know how much I love my lad and it’s not an easy decision. I’m going to see how he is today :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sending lots of hugs. I feel for you.

It's not fair to bombard you with advice and you know your boy better than anyone, but if it were me I would hold off the Buprenorphine, which is possibly causing today's symptoms and then assess how he is. It might be that he would be the same without the medication, but it might be that having started to eat yesterday he will continue, with just Metacam or something else. Feel free to disregard or not to respond. I can understand how terribly difficult this is.

How awful when he seemed to have made such an improvement. Covid rules are a huge additional stress at times like this. When I had Mr Apple Crumble (guinea-pig) put to sleep I had to wait outside the surgery. I can understand why you would want him PTS at home - would a vet be able to see him in the garden? Not ideal but then both you and your OH could be there and Dennis wouldn't have to cope with a car journey.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for an improvement.

Thinking of you Loobers. I know how much you love your 'lad' xxxx

Sending many vibes

Sending lots of hugs. I feel for you.

It's not fair to bombard you with advice and you know your boy better than anyone, but if it were me I would hold off the Buprenorphine, which is possibly causing today's symptoms and then assess how he is. It might be that he would be the same without the medication, but it might be that having started to eat yesterday he will continue, with just Metacam or something else. Feel free to disregard or not to respond. I can understand how terribly difficult this is.

I also wanted to add that I think I read Denny had his triple vaccine yesterday, that might just have subdued him a little too.

Sending many vibes

I also wanted to add that I think I read Denny had his triple vaccine yesterday, that might just have subdued him a little too.

Oh good grief, I did not know that :shock:

I agree with Omi re seeing how he is without the Bupe’ before making any big decisions. You will do what is best for him, no-one knows him better than you do

Thankfully my Vet will do PTS at home, in full PPE in the back garden x

Last edited:
I understand your concerns everybun, if any when it would be Saturday as I am giving him a chance. But I have seen him become really unwell this week before he was unwell hence why I was looking at wheelchairs etc. I am just preparing myself for the worst and I can’t sleep seeing him in this much discomfort. Anton is going to call me to discuss my thoughts

I don’t have any advice but I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loobers I’m really saddened to read the update on Dennis. You are absolutely doing everything and more for Dennis and that’s all you can do. You know Dennis so very well so I would discuss as much as you can wit your vet later. There’s loads going on with meds, triple vaccination etc and bodies are complex things so the symptoms may be due to meds as others have said.
Sending you millions of hugs and sending Dennis millions of vibes. Xx

Thankfully my Vet will do PTS at home, in full PPE in the back garden x

I thought I had read somewhere on here that a vet had agreed to PTS at home as long as it was outside.

Such a difficult decision Loobers - trying to balance not letting go too soon against not allowing a much loved bun to be uncomfortable. You have the medication, vaccination and Dennis' prior health conditions to take into the equation too. If you sit very quietly with Dennis maybe he will let you know what he wants. (I hope that doesn't offend you but it is what I have done when I have been conflicted).

I am going to work now so won't be able to post until late but I will be thinking of you and Dennis and sending my love to you both (and to Maple and your OH too)

xxxx

I'm so, so sorry Dennis isn't doing well today. :cry: It must be so difficult for you, seeing him like this... I'm sending Dennis so many vibes, and am thinking of you both.

Just been reading this thread as soorry but I've not been well. Had me in tears throughout.

Mischief had bupe (we think) recently and we really thought we were going to lose him the next day. But we think it was the sedative effects and he improved the next day.

I'm certainly not a vet but that along with the triple vac could certainly knock him for six if anything like Mischief. Mischief was very lethargic for 2 days at least after the bupe and we were really worried and thought we had to say goodbye to him. We syringe fed him to get liquids down and that helped a little. Don't know if Dennis would be up for that though? Sorry if not great advice but just wanted you to know how bupe can affect them.

Really sad to hear your boy is so poorly. I hope you find the answers within yourself and by listening to him. Our thoughts are with you through this difficult time. Extra loving nose rubs from Mr Chief xxx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Just been reading this thread as soorry but I've not been well. Had me in tears throughout.

Mischief had bupe (we think) recently and we really thought we were going to lose him the next day. But we think it was the sedative effects and he improved the next day.

I'm certainly not a vet but that along with the triple vac could certainly knock him for six if anything like Mischief. Mischief was very lethargic for 2 days at least after the bupe and we were really worried and thought we had to say goodbye to him. We syringe fed him to get liquids down and that helped a little. Don't know if Dennis would be up for that though? Sorry if not great advice but just wanted you to know how bupe can affect them.

Really sad to hear your boy is so poorly. I hope you find the answers within yourself and by listening to him. Our thoughts are with you through this difficult time. Extra loving nose rubs from Mr Chief xxx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?482305-My-boy-has-gone-to-the-bridge

:cry:

Can I ask everybuns thoughts. I was considering giving Maple all her tunnels and toys back to keep her busy as she used to love them. Especially her big run around tunnel.

Do you think it’s too soon to start tinkering with her current setup or do you think it would do her good? Don’t want to add any stress

Can I ask everybuns thoughts. I was considering giving Maple all her tunnels and toys back to keep her busy as she used to love them. Especially her big run around tunnel.

Do you think it’s too soon to start tinkering with her current setup or do you think it would do her good? Don’t want to add any stress

I'd try adding say one tunnel & see how she reacts. It might be a good distraction for Syruppy XX

Back