• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What should I do?

Rebecca888

New Kit
Hi, I really need help... I just adopted two eight weeks old bunnies. They are form the same litter but have different gender. I was told they are born on 11/18/2020, but the male bunny is trying to mate with his sister, he chase her around and mount while making a weird sound, and then shack his butt. I want to see what baby bunnies looks like but I am worried they are to young for that. Thank you.

Welcome to the Rabbit Forum. Trying to breed from your rabbits is not a particularly good idea, there is already too many looking for a good home.
So please separate your rabbits, they will end up fighting. Then either you or a vet needs to check the boy bun for testicles, he then needs to be spayed. Your female bun can be spayed at six months or so, but again you need to talk to a vet.

I agree with above, it's not a good idea to let sibling or young rabbits breed as you risk the mother and babies health. Separate them and ensure the accommodation is secure as the male may be very keen to get back to the female!! The male can be neutered once his testicles descend although for a number of weeks after surgery will need to be kept separate then you can bond them back together and the female can be spayed when she is a bit older. Best of luck with them :)

Yes, I agree with the advice already given. Also, I’m not sure where you adopted them, but it’s not usual practice for rabbits to be adopted out without already being spayed/neutered and vaccinated. I would find a rabbit savvy exotics vet ASAP and get them checked over and vaccinated, and booked in for their spay/neuter.

Hi, I really need help... I just adopted two eight weeks old bunnies. They are form the same litter but have different gender. I was told they are born on 11/18/2020, but the male bunny is trying to mate with his sister, he chase her around and mount while making a weird sound, and then shack his butt. I want to see what baby bunnies looks like but I am worried they are to young for that. Thank you.

please don't let them breed. :(
yes, apart from anything else they are way too young & because you want to see what baby bunnies look like is no reason. there are way too many already that have awful lives.

Separate your rabbits NOW. Wanting to see cute babies is not a good enough reason to breed. Unneutered rabbits of opposite genders will breed sooner rather than later. Breeding litter mates would also risk genetic issues as well as mum being quite young. Once they are BOTH neutered they can be reintroduced. Males can be neutered earlier than females.

Don't forget to ask your vet about vaccinating them both as well, ASAP. There is a new triple vaccine available, so you need one vaccination a year for each rabbit. The diseases they are vaccinated against are silent killers.

It is not OK to breed from littermates. They will both be happier living together when neutered - the boy at about 11+ weeks, the girl at 6 months. Hormonal adolescent rabbits are likely to fall out and fight, which makes it less likely they will stay bonded after neutering (as well as more vet visits to deal with the damage). So please - separate them properly now so they can only see each other through mesh (no play dates, etc), and talk to your vet about neutering (and vaccinating) them both. Then you can look forward to happy, healthy rabbits growing up together.

Back