• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harley :(

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I'm really struggling

Harley did not go for his nuggets this evening - he has pretty much been nibbling hay throughout the day but he normally is excited and will immediately dive in but he didn't /hasnt and does not look happy.

We have metacam and zantac in the house so have given that to him about half hour ago but he hasn't perked up yet.

My husband and I cannot cope with this at the moment - my mum is critically ill in hospital with COVID and we were told we were going to lose her today - she is still fighting but it isn't looking good.

My dad passed away in June last year, my father-in-law in April last year and in between one of the other rabbits died.

I'm just on the floor at the end of my tether and I don't know what to do.

If we can have some vibes for harley or any suggestions as to what more we can do - at the moment i can't bring myself to syringe feed him but know we may have to.

I am so very sorry that everything is so stressful at the moment and really hope that your Mum will pull through.

Have you tried Harley with anything other than pellets? Perhaps try to tempt him with some herbs or some other veggie that you have available. Hopefully he will start nibbling again soon. Other than that perhaps try to syringe feed him some water.

Sending him loads of vibes and also lots of hugs for you.

I'm so sorry about all of this that's happening

I think there's time for him to perk up still and eat
Other people will have better practical suggestions than me
But sending vibes for you xx

I am sorry to read your post about Harley and I am so sorry that this is adding to the stress that you have been suffering. I fully understand and know how you are feeling and it can feel overwhelming in so many ways.
I am sending you millions of vibes for Harley and hugs for you because you really need them. You are doing a great job monitoring Harley and the fact he is nibbling hay is some positive.
Is Harley still pooping and peeing as far as you can tell? This is critical because if he is not producing any iutput then he could possibly be suffering early stasis.
You are clearly geared into his body language and I sense that you are also very much tuned into Harley so this is why you are noticing subtle changes - and that is important.
One possible thought is it might be dental? He could be suffering spurs and these may be painful. Is Harley confident taking treats?
I would possibly endorse your feeling that you may need to go with syringe feeding Harley - some mashed up dried food or critical care.
But I also think that you may need to get Harley to a vet if he is not showing any real signs of improvement.
So, output first - is he pooping and weeing? If not, then a vet trip is going to be much more priority. If he is eating but not comfortably or positively, then I would syringe feed and consider contacting your vet tomorrow but if your gut says different, then make that call sooner.
Sorry that it's not much help but you are Harleys eyes and ears and acting as soon as possible is always going to give Harley the best chance of recovery and the vet the best chance of a diagnosis.
Please keep up updated and I'm sure some more RU friends will dip on here and hopefully give you some more thoughts to help you.
Craig x

Thank you.

I cleaned out his litter tray about an hour ago - no output as of yet and we have given him some kale but he hasn't started nibbling that yet and isn't interested in the fresh hay we are giving to him at the moment.

Generally speaking we know from previous experience it can take a couple of hours for the meds to kick in.

He has been prone to needing dentals in the past for small spurs and he did have one back in November or December - i can't remember exactly when it was. The vet did say that the teeth weren't looking too bad but as there was a small spur and he kinda was displaying the same behaviour as he is tonight we thought it best to get it done. I know some bunnies can need dentals every 4-6 weeks but he tends to need them about every 18months to two years (hes about 9 or 10).

Just very worried about everything and didn't sleep at all last night and tonight is likely to be the same- both because of him and my mum.

Our vets isn't open tomorrow and i know there is the emergency vets; they don't tend to be very rabbit savvy and tend to just prescribe the meds we already have so I just want him to get to monday when we can see our normal rabbit vet if that makes sense but appreciate we may need to do an emergency vet trip; would just prefer not too.

I'm sorry you've had a truly rotten year & have so much upset to deal with today. A million vibes for your mum.

I agree with what Omi suggested - any tasty leaves or greens & a little syringe fed water. I'd offer moistened nuggets too - see if he will eat them xx

So sorry, that's an lot awful lot that have had to deal with, and I really hope that your mum can pull through. I agree with what others have said, fluids and soft things to nibble just in case it is his teeth bothering him, and hope that the meds make a difference. Sending loads of vibes for you and Harley xxx

Sending so many vibes and hugs to you. Maybe try the ooh vets in case they can help? I really hope your mum will pull through and that Harley will pick up soon xx

He has done some poop and it seems normal.

He has been nudging at the hay but not yet nibbled.

OOH may be tomorrow as we have given him all the meds we would normally be given and we do have syringe food so we will see how he goes.

He has had both metcam and a gut stimulant tonight.

I hope he picks up - can you get outside and pick some fresh grass for him? Somewhere that cuts the grass regularly but is currently long enough to pick tends to be more palatable as it is higher in sugar than longer stuff. You might find some young cow parsley too to tempt him, or some plantain or bramble leaves.
Thinking of you xxx

I am sorry your mom is unwell and send her/you vibes.
It is good to read Harley is making some poo and you have meds and supplies to treat when OOH does not have good rabbit vet.
Hydration can help a lot, so perhaps syringing water and offering wet greens will help him.
Some bunnies, my Raven too, will stop eating due to small spurs, though other issues are possible too.
Sending Harley vibes.

I am so sorry that your Mum is critically ill and that you have had other recent bereavements. I do hope that since your last post Harley has improved ?

If not and he is still not eating and his poo output is minimal is there anyone, a neighbour, a friend, who could get him to a Vet for you ? Ask for him to be admitted, explain your circumstances to the Vet. Then you will not have the angst of managing the ongoing nursing care a Rabbit in gut stasis needs. I know admission to the Vets can be very costly, especially OOH. PM me if you need advice about that aspect.

I am thinking of you, your heart must be breaking about your Mum. This Pandemic has caused so much devastation to so many :cry:

So sorry that your Mom is so ill at the moment.

Hoping Harley improves very soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the vibes hugs and well wishes.

He still hadn't improved so we gave him a syringe feed at midnight then again at 430am.

This morning there was no change so we took him to the emergency vet who said that his temperature was low 34(degrees) instead of 38, he was severely dehydrated,there were hardly any gut sounds, his blood glucose level was high so very much stasis and possible toxicity setting in.

He has been hospitalised and put on a drip/fluids, meds and they will syringe feed every two hours but they have described his condition as critical :(

On the one hand I am relieved and glad that the vets will be giving him the intensive care but on the other I'm wondering if we should have taken him last night.

Also not sure what has caused this - he was eating this time yesterday and very happy in itself and there wasn't anything that seems to have caused it or trigger it other than obviously my stress levels. It's also very unusual that he didnt respond to the treatment we gave him as he normally does which is making think maybe this is something he isn't going to come back from :(

Back